How boutique is boutique?

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy seeing tube amp chassis gut shots, and this guided tour was great.

Boutique has never been synonymous with quality, it's become a perception that boutique is better than prominent builders/manufacturers. The boutique craze has the been the beneficiary of smart, prolonged, strategic marketing.

This video is not indicative of the boutique world, it is a shame that one of the more popular builders is allowing amps to be built this way. There are boutique builders that do make great high quality, well constructed amps and pedals. There are others who do nothing more than copy designs, maybe change a component value or two, and call it good. Craftsmanship, as was stated in the video, is completely dependent upon who is doing the work and who is approving the work.

was surprised that a tube amp can be safely resting on the tops of the tubes when flipped over during maintenance

Boutique has never been synonymous with quality, it's become a perception that boutique is better than prominent builders/manufacturers. The boutique craze has the been the beneficiary of smart, prolonged, strategic marketing.

This video is not indicative of the boutique world, it is a shame that one of the more popular builders is allowing amps to be built this way. There are boutique builders that do make great high quality, well constructed amps and pedals. There are others who do nothing more than copy designs, maybe change a component value or two, and call it good. Craftsmanship, as was stated in the video, is completely dependent upon who is doing the work and who is approving the work.
Exactly. Boutique is simply a way of saying "small business". I'm not sure who tagged that word for amp builders, but it was genius. I suppose Fractal could be a boutique modeler!

was surprised that a tube amp can be safely resting on the tops of the tubes when flipped over during maintenance
It's not :rolleyes: The power transformer is taller than the rectifier and power tubes, it's not resting on the preamp tubes either.

I hope this is not indicative of B.A.D. (Boutique Amp Distributors), who I believe is manufacturing quite a roster of amp brands, Morgan included.

I hope this is not indicative of B.A.D. (Boutique Amp Distributors), who I believe is manufacturing quite a roster of amp brands, Morgan included.
I have to laugh at putting the word "Boutique" in the company name. It's like saying, "Hey, we're gonna charge you more." Like when your wife goes shopping at a boutique vs a store.💰
:p

I've never considered the word to mean anything more than a small company that has chosen to specialize in a small segment of their market.

It used to mean a small company or even a single craftsperson with lots of attention to detail and paramount quality. These days it doesn't mean anything. It's just a marketing buzzword now.

I have/had a couple amps designed and built by Mark Bartel, the guy who started and ran Tone King Amplifiers. His boards and wiring are second to none, absolutely stunning work. My amp guy has had his hands in them retubing and making minor adjustments and, after doing so, now tells other customers who want a boutique amp to only buy Tone King or to check out Bartel’s new line, Bartel Amplifiers because he’s seen what’s inside them. I bought the amps I have after a lot of research and because I wanted that sound after having played them, but hearing how the amps impressed him definitely made me feel good about my decisions.

“Boutique” has been misappropriated by some who want to be perceived as something better than they are, and it has been misused by those who have no idea what that quality means, and why it matters. “Boutique” is the highest quality, it implies a meticulous dedication to quality and performance. That boutique amps cost more is merely a reflection of the quality of the design and work that went into it. A boutique amp builder is a great craftsman. It has nothing to do with hand wiring vs. circuit boards, it has to do with designing the circuits correctly and picking the components carefully so they perform correctly, and wiring the boards so they don’t shake loose under harsh treatment and conditions.

I can’t speak about whether the folks who make Tone King amps now, Boutique Amps Distribution, are continuing to build them as Mark did, I bought mine when he was at the helm, and then I continued following his work when he started his new company and began redesigning everything. I think his new amps are unlike anything ever done before, and that he’s a genius.

It’s unfortunate that less-scrupulous builders try to make extra profit by not putting in the time; instead they should be honest and admit their product is not the best, but people are free to lie and cheat, and it’s up to the consumer to educate themself and not be fooled. Many consumers want to believe they can get the best without paying for it, foolishly, and then their pride encourages them to enforce the illusion when talking to others.

I have a blues jam I like going to, run by some friends I’ve known for over ten years, who are well-respected blues guys, and I put my Tone King Imperial Mk. II on the back line. The jam attracts a number of younger players who bring their cheap-ass wannabe boutique amps in and, if the player has impressed me with their attitude, I’ll eventually tell them to leave their amp offstage, and put them on mine, I’ll explain it’s setup like an “old style” JTM-45, and there’s no master volume, there’s no footswitch, it’s just them and their guitar and the amp, have them try rolling the guitar volume up and down to see how they interact, and then I leave them to figure it out. They start out looking nervous, then start smiling, then at the end of the set they’re laughing because of the sound and responsiveness and how the amp and guitar worked together and became alive. They get it, why it’s worth waiting and saving and buying something that’s not overpowering, that’s just right and built really well. They thank me, they get my blessing to use it when the amp is unused on stage, and I have the pleasure knowing their eyes have been opened and I have been able to corrupt some more youth. Heh. Getting old doesn’t necessarily mean we’re benevolent. :)

It’s a “buyer beware” world. Research, be educated, buy the best you can afford from scrupulous companies and spend the money well. That’s why “boutique” exists. That’s what Fractal is, and the desire to be the best at a reasonable price for the best still exists, and it’s up to us to make sure that those companies see a reason to continue making products. We all win then.

Back
Top Bottom