How are you using the FM3 Live?

I've been using this method for years. I've never encountered this issue with my BT01. It's dropped connection once or twice, but it's an easy reconnect. I've also hooked up a separate one to our Nord so it changes settings according to the song automatically.
Yeah the BT01 always works fine in practice, and I had one flawless gig in the wintertime when we played outdoors, but the issue is I live in Phoenix and it's hot as balls on stage most of the time.

I run my FM3 into the Effects Return of a tube amp and guitar cab. Typically, a Marshall and 2 or 4x12 speaker cab. If I have enough time I use a pair of Marshalls and cabs and put a Right Post 20ms delay between them to give it a stereo effect.

post-metal/rock band:

• one preset per song
  • one scene = one sound, used across multiple parts
  • views to iterate through scenes, part for part (if playing manually)
  • Ableton Live controls some small backing tracks, click, midi clock, pre-programmed lights and all patch changes
  • connection via WIDI masters & bud
  • soundwise: nothing super fancy - hot Marshall sounds, delay and huge reverbs, YA IR
  • other guitarist uses also FM3
  • both FM3s going direct and separately into real cabs to get a decent stage sound (SD PS170)

What's the ideal placement for delays / reverbs in your signal chain when using Out1 to FOH and Out2 to SD PS170 + Cab?
Are you throwing all fx before the amp block? After amp block and before cab block?

Typically delays and reverbs go after the amp block and before the cab block. Not to say that's always the case, just the typical way they're placed in the signal chain.

Typically delays and reverbs go after the amp block and before the cab block. Not to say that's always the case, just the typical way they're placed in the signal chain.

I generally put delays and verb after the cab block. When running delay and verb pedals with a tube amp in a mono rig I would usually put them in the FX loop - therefore before the amp and the cab - but that was just for convenience. When I was able to do ‘ideal’ rigs, the verbs and delays were after the mic’d cab, and in the studio that was almost always the case.

So if you’re running verbs and delays before the cab, are you running solely mono, or are you running 2 IRs in stereo within the cab block for every preset?

if the cab block is mono, you'll lose any stereo delay and reverb.

if the cab block is stereo, the order doesn't matter because there would be no difference in most cases. but from a visual point of view, delays and reverbs make sense as that's how you'd do it in a studio setup - record/play the raw tone with a mic on the cab, then add those effects to that mic'd tone - exactly what the modeling does.

delay and verb before the amp would also be mono, but it has a different tone that works in some situations. some prefer this always as well.

the effects loop on a real amp is a compromise for using "post" effects in a live situation. the idea came from the studio where you would always add delay and reverb after the mic on the cab. there's no way to put effects after the cab within a single real amp/cab, so the effects loop was designed to put it in the 2nd best place - after the preamp, before the power amp and thus before the cab. but in many opinions, ideally it would be after the cab on a real amp, like they do in the studio.

What's the ideal placement for delays / reverbs in your signal chain when using Out1 to FOH and Out2 to SD PS170 + Cab?
Are you throwing all fx before the amp block? After amp block and before cab block?

All wet effects are placed after the amp block, before the cab block.
The cab block sits right before out 1 and is being split before to get a non-cab-signal to out 2.
I pan two IRs fully left and right to maintain a stereo signal.
In setup out 1 configuration, I can simply choose from stereo to copy l > r and decide quickly what I really wanna output :)

This would be cool. I really like the sound of this feature.

Right now for my main gigging band, I use one primary preset which uses a single amp/cab set up for all scenes. My scenes are set up with different combinations of effects and the functionality of the expression pedal changes with each scene. I use the FM3 to move around scenes and engage the tuner. I did change my scene layout to toggle between two scenes rather than do one scene per button. So the way my scene views work is:

View 1
  • Switch 1: Toggle between scenes 1/2 (clean and clean with delay, exp pedal is auto-engage wah). This is kind of my homebase.
  • Switch 2: Toggle between scenes 3/4 (Both dirty lead, each with a different pitch effects mixed in with the exp pedal - No wah).
  • Switch 3: Toggle between scenes 5/6 (5 is a toned down clean sound to comp behind the keyboard player, 6 is a super lush clean sound for special use).
View 2:
  • Switch 1: Toggles between scenes 7/8 (a more bluesy dirty tone and a lead tone with wah). I don't use these much.
  • Switch 2: Actually the same as switch 1 in view 1. Allows me to land back home quickly if I need scenes 7/8.
  • Switch 3: Tuner
Long press on switch 2 will take me to the master layout as normal.

I run a EV-5 expression pedal and a two switch Mosky. First switch scrolls through scene views, second switch is tap tempo (I use a lot of delay). I also run a passive volume pedal before the FM3. As stated, the expression pedal function changes based on the scene.

I do have a couple of small variations on this preset for dramatically different effects I may want to employ (including say the position of the pitch block).

I do a similar thing for my metal/hard rock band but my home base is a dirty rhythm tone.
Hope I’m not too far behind you guys to engage with this question. I only use FM3 switches. 5 presets and until now, no more than 3 scenes per song. Q - what is the easiest/best way to use 4 scenes in a song? Thanks a million.

Hope I’m not too far behind you guys to engage with this question. I only use FM3 switches. 5 presets and until now, no more than 3 scenes per song. Q - what is the easiest/best way to use 4 scenes in a song? Thanks a million.
I really like the toggle option for what I'm doing (as described). You can go into the layout and configure the buttons however you want. You could even have two buttons work as single select and the third work as a toggle. Or you could set up two buttons to toggle and set the third for some other function like a utility (tap tempo, tuner, etc) or a specific effect control.

I really like the toggle option for what I'm doing (as described). You can go into the layout and configure the buttons however you want. You could even have two buttons work as single select and the third work as a toggle. Or you could set up two buttons to toggle and set the third for some other function like a utility (tap tempo, tuner, etc) or a specific effect control.
Thanks! Got into some confusing trouble until I figured it out. So for now, I’m going to Hold Scene 3 button to toggle to Scene 4 as I needed. Will explore some more. Appreciate

I did get as far as a Hold on button 3 to get to scene 4, but I don't see how to change it to Toggle like you have. Any helpful info is appreciated. (I'm a little reluctant with FC Edit as there is no Undo feature.) :) The Guide lists all the features but doesn't really have directions like I need.

i use one preset mainly. i don't try to make tones for each song, but instead choose from 4 different amps to fit whatever i'm playing (range of gain, etc.) if i need a special effect for a song, i duplicate my main preset and rearrange what i need.

fewer presets are easier to manage with updates or changes for whatever reason.

This, is truly great advice!
Thanks Chris

I did get as far as a Hold on button 3 to get to scene 4, but I don't see how to change it to Toggle like you have. Any helpful info is appreciated. (I'm a little reluctant with FC Edit as there is no Undo feature.) :) The Guide lists all the features but doesn't really have directions like I need.
Here is a screenshot of how I set my Scenes view up. There are stars by the FM Edit menu to get into this and one by the Function field where you set this toggle option. You designate the Primary and Secondary scenes to toggle between right below it.

1672159016508.png

Playing worship music in churches I have a lot of atmospheric stuff to do, so I run a preset per song that I switch from my iPad using Unrealbook with the Yamaha MD-BT01 (mine stays cool as a cucumber, no idea why). It's awesome to always have the right tone with the iPad music reader in the right page. Now if my band leader would stick to the setlist...

I have 4 scenes set up as [intro], [verse], [chorus/bridge], [lead] with scenes 2,3,4 on the tap of the FM3 buttons, scene 1 on the hold of button 1. Preset loads on scene 1 so I don't need that in a tap. Usually scene 1 are 2 are the same anyway because I don't need 4 different tones.

Hold 2 and 3 are Layout and View switches but I'm going to change those because several times already I have accidentally held the button too long and switched layouts when I didn't want to and it's a btch to get back while playing, already having missed the change...

I have a Mosky two button box that has amp vol -2/save and +2/save on the tap and mute/turner and view +1 on the hold.
I used to have

I have my FM3 and FC6 running OMG9.
Clean to mean
2 cleans. 1 with just reverb. The other with ambient, ethereal sounds
1 slightly crunchy dirt scene
1 crunchier dirt scene
1 lead scene
I use the effects layout from OMG9 to change up different sounds if needed for any particular song or part of a song. Adding in ambient reverb and delay to dirt sounds depending on song or my mood. Have controllers set up for how long reverb lasts, depth of amp setting, and gain. I use 1 amp so when I switch from clean to dirt, there is no lag. I’ve been able to mess with settings on the Revv Gen Green 1 to get a very nice clean to mean.
Basically have my set up working like a traditional pedal board set up. We change songs every week and I like to add different “flavor” to songs. We don’t always play the songs true to their radio edit.
Yes, lots of tap dancing but I have limited time for practice and setting up “set lists” with scenes. Keeps it interesting though.

Back
Top Bottom