How are you using Scene Controllers?

maxolla

Inspired
Just got a patch set up today using Scene Modifiers and I’m really liking the ability to change block parameters using them.
I used a modifier to change change gain on the Euro Red. There are actually three stages of sub-sequential gain boost. Never new that amp would do low gain sounds as well as it does. Wondering how I might use more of these modifiers and if I might run out of them.

How are you guys using them and do you wish there were more of them than just 4?

If you run out of Scene Modifiers, delve into the world of Control Switches. Similar concept but available no matter which scene you are in and a single switch can be applied to numerous parameters. I typically use them for intros, solos and outros by turning on/off effects, various switches in the Amp block, adjusting effect parameters (like delay feedback and mix) and increasing gain/volume.

If you run out of Scene Modifiers, delve into the world of Control Switches. Similar concept but available no matter which scene you are in and a single switch can be applied to numerous parameters. I typically use them for intros, solos and outros by turning on/off effects, various switches in the Amp block, adjusting effect parameters (like delay feedback and mix) and increasing gain/volume.

I have messed around with those a bit. I like them but I’m having some issues with programming them with the RJM.
Specifically I tried to use a modifier to change an amp gain and it works great but I couldn’t seem to get it to reset to off when changing amp channels. I was hoping to use it as a boost on my gain amp and then be able to switch back to my clean amp and have it turn off but I never got it to work like that. Once the boost is turned on it effects all channels of a block which makes it necessary to hit it again before going back to the clean channel so that it doesn’t effect the clean channel as well.

How are you using them?

Not familiar with the RJM, using the FC-6 here. I started using Control Switches with the AX8 for more instantaneous switching and simply continued using them with the Axe-Fx III. The Control Switches work the same way, anything you attach to a modifier in a block is applied to all four channels.

As far as actual use, they're typically used when there's a need for more volume and gain so it's a turn on the switch and play, then turn off the switch. Some phrases are short enough that setting the switch to Momentary is sufficient.

As far as the parameters, usually the Amp block Boost (on), Input Drive, Bright Switch (off), sometimes the Saturation Switch and the Delay and Reverb feedback and mix. If more volume is needed I'll attach it to the Level in the Cab block.

I have messed around with those a bit. I like them but I’m having some issues with programming them with the RJM.
Specifically I tried to use a modifier to change an amp gain and it works great but I couldn’t seem to get it to reset to off when changing amp channels. I was hoping to use it as a boost on my gain amp and then be able to switch back to my clean amp and have it turn off but I never got it to work like that. Once the boost is turned on it effects all channels of a block which makes it necessary to hit it again before going back to the clean channel so that it doesn’t effect the clean channel as well.

How are you using them?
In the modifier menu on the Axe FX 3, you can set the modifier to only work on a single channel. Then when you switch amp channels to a clean sound, it will not have the modifier controlling the gain.

I am not sure about the RJM button state though.

Just to clarify, you guys are talking about Scene Controllers, right? I've never heard of Scene Modifiers.

In the modifier menu on the Axe FX 3, you can set the modifier to only work on a single channel. Then when you switch amp channels to a clean sound, it will not have the modifier controlling the gain.

I am not sure about the RJM button state though.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll check that out. The options are a bit confusing when working with multiple channels and multiple modifiers.
The control is endless!!!

How do you like the GT16?

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check that out. The options are a bit confusing when working with multiple channels and multiple modifiers.
The control is endless!!!

How do you like the GT16?
Am really liking the GT16. Sort of got forced into it since I am so far down the FC list. But love the big color displays and it can be pretty much configured to do anything I need it to. I have a post up with my layout here :

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/gt-16-setup-for-axe-fx-iii.3761/

If you run out of Scene Modifiers, delve into the world of Control Switches. Similar concept but available no matter which scene you are in and a single switch can be applied to numerous parameters.

I am going exactly the opposite direction, starting with MIDI CCs and waiting for my number to come up on the FC list so I can play with the scenes. Can't wait to be able to switch scenes easily. My 20-year-old FC200 doesn't play entirely nicely with the scene switching, but has pretty good CC capabilities. Since my requirements are not too complicated, "pedalboard mode" on the FC200 works well enough while I get acquainted with the AxeFX III's amp, cab, and FX models, and the whole 'universe' of its operating system....

Am really liking the GT16. Sort of got forced into it since I am so far down the FC list. But love the big color displays and it can be pretty much configured to do anything I need it to. I have a post up with my layout here :

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/gt-16-setup-for-axe-fx-iii.3761/
I actually downloaded your edition of the iarsee patch and played around with it to my liking.

I got an invite to buy an FC but I’m thinking that for now Im going to hang on to the GT. I’m starting to get more into programming it. I have a feeling that the FC is probably slightly easier to program though.

Leon (Ragdoll) Todd has a bunch of videos on YouTube. Doubtless he has one that goes into some of the MIDI/FC controller stuff....

Back
Top Bottom