How are you liking the sound of your FX8?

MMike

I feel good with my decision to go FX8 vs. Helix because it sounds fantastic!

How about you?

Same here I wanted a step up to the G System and FX8 has delivered it hands down.

I love it - everything sounds great.

I came from using a pedal board full of stomp boxes for the last 30 years so programming isn't my specialty but I'm getting to know my way around now and couldn't be happier. The fx in general are incredible. And having the capability to change channels on my amp is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
I had the TC Nova before and a bunch of other FX systems in the past and the FX8 is the best, really flexible and superior sound quality, never had such good results using a 4CM method then with the FX8!

cheers,

Hans

I'm using the FX8 with my boogie V25 via 4cm and it's great. I'm still learning the unit but the tones I am getting are nice.

Oh by the way I'm using an ENGL Retro Tube 50 head, works perfectly with the FX8 in 4CM ...

Love my FX8! Just got the new Roland Blues Cube Artist and it has efx loop so I tried the 4cm. WOW! Sounded even more awesome! BTW, that amp really does sound like a valve amp, pretty cool.

used it in the studio for the first time with my HK Tubemeister 36. Sounded great I'm very impressed so far

Decided to totally wipe mine last night and start from scratch all over again - seem to be struggling with delay levels at the moment and also the age old issue of using Humbucker and Single Coil guitars (PRS, Gibson, EBMM, Fender CS etc) and also getting the DRV sounds just right - I tend to use a mixture of clean channel + OD and the amps own drive channel - I find that some of the drive sounds I have set up drop out of the mix in a live environment.

Agreed though the unit sounds fabulous and the small issues I am having is more down to user error than the unit itself.

Running into a Bogner Shiva and I have to say (and guys in the crowd think the same as I have plenty of positive comments) that the whole rig is now sounding the best ever since adding the FX8 to it.

What I like is the pure sound. I don't understand the tech aspects of the unit like most of you, but I hear it and appreciate it. Still feel great about my fx8 !!!

I feel good with my decision to go FX8 vs. Helix because it sounds fantastic!

How about you?

I was considering the Helix when i was upgrading from my G System. I first got a Kemper but I didn't like the volume of crap profiles I had to go through to find a decent one and I wanted to use my valve amps as monitors but it didn't support stereo monitoring and stereo FOH.

so I sent it back.

I then pre ordered a FX8 and while waiting seriously looked into the Helix. I didn't go for it because to my ears it sounded like a glorified POD and with my experience of playing live with a POD HD I never want to go down that road again.

Then I got the FX8 and it just floored me on how good it sounds. If you ever had a G System and had to deal with the noise problems you can appreciate just how much effort has gone into this unit to get the noise under control. its insane and gets better the louder it gets (unlike a POD in my experience)

I'm not loving the switching but I hear improvements are along the way but I am getting used to it and it's not so bad as I initially thought.

so far for me the PEQ and flexibility in routing has on its own trumped the G System and the effects are the icing on the cake.

Worth the wait ?

Dam right !

Fx8 has met or exceeded the pedals on my board for tremolo, delay, reverb, compression, whammy and pitch vibrato. The drives are pretty darn good and I use them live and in the studio but it didn't replace all of my analog ones.

I love it so much that I'm currently getting flamed in another thread for saying it's the best solution for 4CM!

I could not be happier with my FX8. The thing that's blown me away is how amazingly transparent it sounds when used in conjunction with an amp. I use it with my Bogner Shiva in multiple configs - FX8 completely in the loop, FX8 in 4CM, FX8 completely in front of the amp, going into the Shiva's clean channel via preamp input. All sound amazing, completely transparent, as though I was plugged directly into the amp. No loss of tone or immediacy that I can detect. Even in 4CM it maintains that responsiveness and thwack that you expect from a great tube amp. I've been using rack effects in guitar loops going back to the 80's, have used everything imaginable, and I've never seen anything like this.

Fractal effects are IMO far and away the best available in any guitar processor. To have them in a package like the FX8 with sonic quality and fidelity at this level is game-changing.

I was considering the Helix when i was upgrading from my G System. I first got a Kemper but I didn't like the volume of crap profiles I had to go through to find a decent one and I wanted to use my valve amps as monitors but it didn't support stereo monitoring and stereo FOH.

so I sent it back.

I then pre ordered a FX8 and while waiting seriously looked into the Helix. I didn't go for it because to my ears it sounded like a glorified POD and with my experience of playing live with a POD HD I never want to go down that road again.

Then I got the FX8 and it just floored me on how good it sounds. If you ever had a G System and had to deal with the noise problems you can appreciate just how much effort has gone into this unit to get the noise under control. its insane and gets better the louder it gets (unlike a POD in my experience)

I'm not loving the switching but I hear improvements are along the way but I am getting used to it and it's not so bad as I initially thought.

so far for me the PEQ and flexibility in routing has on its own trumped the G System and the effects are the icing on the cake.

Worth the wait ?

Dam right !

I'm curious, would you mind sharing why the PEQ is so good for you?
Having never really understood how to use one I'm interested to know what I could get out of it.

I'm really impressed with my FX8, the only problem I have at the moment is that work and family commitments mean I haven't had the time to really get to grips with it and start learning how to get the best out of it - hence my question.

Cheers

I've had several Line 6 pedals in the past (starting from POD 1 up to HD500) and while they are usable, the build quality (China) and effects resolution is far from what we have on the FX8 which is build like a tank. I didn't check out the Helix yet, but I don't really feel the need for it because FX8 really does everything I need and is transparent even with 4CM.

I'm curious, would you mind sharing why the PEQ is so good for you?
Having never really understood how to use one I'm interested to know what I could get out of it.

I'm really impressed with my FX8, the only problem I have at the moment is that work and family commitments mean I haven't had the time to really get to grips with it and start learning how to get the best out of it - hence my question.

Cheers
I put the PEQ in the front and boost or cut to suit what tone I'm using.

For lead tones I tend to boost 35Hz, 900Hz and cut 800Hz.

just gave a play around its a very powerful effect.

Back
Top Bottom