How are you integrating the AXE-FX II in your studios

guitarzpt

Experienced
Hello,

After some days of playing around with the AXE-FX II I'm trying to integrate it in my studio.
What I was thinking was, connecting the main out to my mixer for monitoring along with my daw output and using the USB just to record and reamp.

Connected everything but then I realized that in Cubase you can only select one device for audio. Since I'm using my Lavry Blue AD/DA for my DAW I cant select the USB of the AXE otherwise I wont have the output of the DAW through my beloved Lavry...

If I use the USB interface of the AXE-FX II then I will have latency when I monitor the guitar recording right?

Any suggestions on what is the best way to be able to connect the AXE in such a way that is easy to reamp but also have the Lavry for the DA out of my DAW?

Thanks in advance
Ricardo

No suggestions as I havent got my axe yet, but im also using lavry AD10/DA10 but with RME hdsp as my interface. The reason I went for the II is because of the reamping and the USB connectivity, but from what ive read it doesnt work at all like it should in the real world. I cant comment until I do my own tests but I look forward to seeing what you and others come up with.

I do the following:

Guitar > wireless --balanced--> Audio interface --spdif--> Axe II

This way I can route directly from guitar to axe if I don't want to start Cubase. With Cubase running, I use the external effects (in Cubase) inserted on a track. That way I can record the dry signal and reamp instantly. The only thing I want to change (if it ever works consistently) is replace spdif with the usb io. The aggregate device feature (ASIO4ALL on pc) doesn't work for me but you probably want to try it. The downside of aggregate devices is that they need a DAW or some routing software to manage the combination. I use Cubase for that purpose.

Latency is present no matter which route you take but plugging directly into the AxeFX and monitoring directly from the AxeFX has the least amount of latency. You'll have to judge for yourself on the acceptable amount. I've found that it's ok in my setup but gets a little uncomfortable when I use iems wirelessly (the digital system I have incurs another small delay).

Back
Top Bottom