How are you guys using the new fullres IRs?

I hope I don’t get flamed too hard for this but I’m not hearing any kind of improvement whatsoever with full res. Just watched a LT video and his stock IR sounded light years better to the full res he had loaded up. I guess color me unimpressed.

Room/Air settings in the cab block. If all you're looking for is ambiance on your jam, then I think you can get damn close.

I hope I don’t get flamed too hard for this but I’m not hearing any kind of improvement whatsoever with full res. Just watched a LT video and his stock IR sounded light years better to the full res he had loaded up. I guess color me unimpressed.
These are not going to be incorporated into my presets very much, if at all. I am mainly playing live, where I’d rather have the room’s own ambience and not have that competing with a different ambience coming out of the unit. But…

I sincerely appreciate the lengths to which Cliff and company went to satisfy Mk 1 users by making this option available. And it definitely is floating some folks’ boats!

I am not sure of the application of FullRes for me because I really have not tried them yet.

I (like a few others) am certainly not going to go on record and give Cliff and the Fractal crew a "meh" about anything that they do.

Fractal has gone far above any other corporate music company with respects to innovation and accommodating their customer base.

The fact that they listened to many customers to make their (my) mk-1 still relevant is very impressive and much appreciated.

Thank you Cliff and crew!

In my main live setting, I had one of the old, stock, ultrares room IRs at -40dB to just give a little air. I replaced that with one of the new FullRes IRs (also at -40). Subtle improvement but worthwhile.

For home playing, I set up a different channel on the cab block to run stereo FullRes at a higher level (-23dB). Huge improvement to the headphone experience, fixing the age old issue of headphones feeling too direct, stuffy, etc.

I haven’t loaded 17 yet, but I plan to use them just a touch for IEM. I am tempted to put a tiny bit on the main mix as well. We play small venues so I don’t think much room ambience is happening anyway

I finally updated and set up a full res channel on a couple of my main presets. They do eat up a ton of memory. In my normal preset(s) I use a combination of 3 cabs that are mixed. I didn't come up with the combination. It's a combo from my AB Naked Amp that he dialed in (pretty nicely, I must say).
Since I can't use those 3 and the full res I grabbed a OH RAW M+ IR that I believe is a SM57/121 combination and then added the two Greenback full res IR's (L&R). I'm not sure if I need to pan them. I don't hear much of a difference, if any when I do. The sound is less dull than my go to AB cab mix. I figured out quickly that I need to turn down the volume on the full res cabs. I'm not sure if there's any benefit to tinkering with the proximities on those cabs. The flavor still comes from the OH IR and the full res adds a 'wideness' to it. If I could, I'd prefer to add the full res to the AB combination because I like that tone. But I think I get a sense of what they add. I look forward to reading how others are using them and getting some tips from other users.

Headphones and recording are more or less what these IRs are for. If you're not doing either of those then it's probably not useful. It can, however, fatten your tone instead of using delay or reverb especially if you're not into hair metal.

To me it's like having the UAD Ox Box cabinet capabilities and IR reverbs in the Fractal. To top that it is zero latency which is wild. Try throwing a plate or room IR in the IR player instead of the reverb.

To each their tone.

I have only tried them at home so far, but they seems to add a ton of wideness to the tone if set right. I am curious as to how they will work in a live situation for me, mainly since playing in church I both am playing live and to a live stream and how that might help in that situation with the stream mix but still retaining the forwardness aspect of the standard cab IR in the room. I think that the FullRes will help me get the best of both worlds.

I recorded this quickly last night for the strat tones thread. In this particular preset the fullres IRs do a lot for me!

In others, like my “Magnatone” preset surprisingly not so much. I guess I simply haven’t found the right ones for that tone yet.

When it comes to higher gain stuff I don’t feel the need to add them at all. Which is a good thing since I only have a Mk I and they do eat up a lot of CPU

Back
Top Bottom