How are you connecting your FM3 to your audio interface?

hendrik7

Hey guys, just ordered an FM3 and am super excited to try Fractal out for the first time.

I'm wondering if there are any advantages of going for a S/PDIF cable instead of two XLR's into my audio interface (Audient iD44) ?

How are you guys connecting yours?

Thanks

EDIT:
Are there actually two different kinds of SPDIF? I actually think my Audient has the optical one.

It says on description "2 ADAT inputs and outputs for digital expansion"

So does that mean I have to go with XLR's then? (or USB)

Last edited:
One benefit of doing that is that you will be skipping the D/A conversion of the FM3 and the A/D conversion of the interface, thus reducing latency a bit. You will also not get any colouring from the audio interface pre-amps, that may (or may not) be an advantage, depending on if you like what that adds to your sound.

Ah I see. Guess I will have to get a S/PDIF cable and just see if I prefer it to the XLR's.

Thanks!

ps. Any reason this random cable from Sweetwater wouldn't cut it? sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPDS6--pro-co-6-foot-premium-canare-spdif-cable

Ah I see. Guess I will have to get a S/PDIF cable and just see if I prefer it to the XLR's.

Thanks!

ps. Any reason this random cable from Sweetwater wouldn't cut it? sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPDS6--pro-co-6-foot-premium-canare-spdif-cable
That cable is ok, virtually any will do

One thing to have into consideration... If your interface has XLR/TRS combo inputs check if the XLR can be set to line level. My Focusrite Scarlett is set to Mic level whenever an XLR is plugged, only the TRS jacks can be set to either Line or (in case of the front inputs) Instrument level. If your Audient works like this, I'd recommend getting a XLR to TRS cable or going out via Output 2 (set to copy Output 1)

As others have mentioned, if you like the color your preamps gives to the sound that's good. I like S/PDIF better for the convenience of using a single cable for stereo signal, avoiding one extra stage of AD/DA conversion and setting my levels directly in the FM3 instead of messing with the interface's gain and struggle balancing the level of the two inputs.

Last edited:
I really wish the FM3 had S/PDIF IN as well as OUT, but yeah. That's my preferred way of connecting Fractal gear to my audio interface.

My setup is FM3 > MOTU M4 (stereo) > Monitors and PC for recording. I'm going into inputs 3/4 of the interface with XLR to 1/4" TRS cables. Input levels are controlled by FM3 with OUT1 which I crank all the way up. Plenty of headroom. I use inputs 1 or 2 for a microphone. I can blend the direct FM3 audio with my PC audio for jamming. Love my setup. It works so well. Recording is a breeze.

My setup is FM3 > MOTU M4 (stereo) > Monitors and PC for recording. I'm going into inputs 3/4 of the interface with XLR to 1/4" TRS cables. Input levels are controlled by FM3 with OUT1 which I crank all the way up. Plenty of headroom. I use inputs 1 or 2 for a microphone. I can blend the direct FM3 audio with my PC audio for jamming. Love my setup. It works so well. Recording is a breeze.
Same setup here. FM3 -> Motu M4 (stereo) -> Monitors and PC. Lots of flexibility.

XLRs to 1/4-inch (into my PreSonus Studio 24C). If there's latency, I can't hear or detect it. My PreSonus goes to my computer, but also a mixer. I do have my FM3 as the audio controller. Maybe I'm doing things backward, but it works, and I don't want to frig with it!

I'd love to go SPDIF in, but my Apogee Element has optical SPDIF in...

Wait....there's actually two different kinds of SPDIF? I actually think my Audient has the optical one.

It says on description "2 ADAT inputs and outputs for digital expansion"

So does that mean I have to go with XLR's then?

FWIW, when monitoring my FM3 using my bookshelf speakers hooked up to my Audient iD14, Logic reports 11ms of latency. But, typically I use the headphone out on the FM3 and use it as the audio interface for macOS. Works well enough that I question whether I should hold onto the iD14.

FM3 SPDIF out to the RME 9652; for single conversion and I gained two extra tracks from my Apogee. Best way to roll with this set- up.

Now I have 18 input tracks although I could add my other 8 channel interface and get 26 inputs if I need it. Love my FM3 and my old RME 9652 with the best drivers in the business for extra low latency along with a full array of UAD plug-ins recording through my DAW. Live it is a whole different story.

Back
Top Bottom