How about these Skervesen…?

Roadrunner

Power User
So, I’m in for a new axe again and it will be a custom one (unless I will bump into something really special pre-made).

I played last week on a new 7 string Skervesen of a friend that just got it, fully customized.

This axe is a beast, I’ve never heard such nice cleans with so much bottom and 3D feel.

So, How about these Skersvesen guitars? Would be happy to hear from experience.

Thanks.

I've never played one, but I did have a conversation with them via email last year when I planned to have a custom built. I didn't order, there were a few reasons for that...
First of all, their responses took forever. If i remember correctly there were weeks until I got answers to some questions. I understand they're growing in popularity and have tons of questions every day. But it doesn't feel comfortable to start a build and know that they may not read my emails for weeks, especially if it's about making changes or about some other important stuff. I also noticed other people complaining on their Facebook about this.
Secondly, I'm fine with they having predetermined body/headstock shapes and you can't order anything outside of those. But I wanted some other customizations for the neck, like nut width, thickness of neck and fret board radius. It was not that i asked for something really weird or out of the ordinary, but they just wouldn't do it. Options were written in stone. That's not what I'd call Custom?
They basically told me if i like their guitars sound and appearance I should trust that they know what they're doing, otherwise I need to buy from somewhere else.
But I'm sure they're good guitars, so if you are happy with the options they already have you'll be fine. But if I were you I'd shoot them a few emails asking questions, you'll get a feeling for their interest in their answers and how fast answers arrive.

^What you want is a dedicated custom shop like Daemoness or Carillion that hand makes guitars. If a company uses CnC they aren't going to be too keen on modifying existing shapes/specs.

I know, but I thought they did custom requests. On their website they say:
"Welcome to Skervesen Guitars
team of Polish makers of Guitars and Basses made for players by players. We use any means to ensure the best result, be it CNC machining or manual skills and patience.
Each request is individually priced via e-mail. You send us order form, we confirm final price, you send deposit and that’s it!"

Of course, growing big means many orders, so why bother with difficult requests that has to be made by hand. I understand them... It's obviously easier to have people fill in the order form, without special requests, the guitars are made much faster.

I read about these and some people had major quality control issues; I hate saying anything bad about anyone but it was from actual purchasers, when I was considering the same.

I read about these and some people had major quality control issues; I hate saying anything bad about anyone but it was from actual purchasers, when I was considering the same.

Is really a pity if that's the case. That can happen when small businesses grow too fast and try to push products out the door too fast.
On the other hand I think you can find similar negative reviews about any company, no matter how professional and responsible about QC they are.
I ordered a guitar from Vigier last year. I like their attitude. They will keep the wood for several years in a controlled room, and the different layers of finish must dry for a certain time between layers, it takes months for them to do the laquering process. My guitar was delayed and of course i sent some email asking when it would be ready. They answered very polite but made it clear that they would not speed up any process for me, and that they refuse to send any guitar out of the factory before everything's been done 100% correct to their standards.
I'm so impressed by the guitar I'm thinking of getting another one, the LP-style GV model this time.

9052231358_7470050eaf_h.jpg
I love mine:

More Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/60117994@N08/sets/72157634139884621/

I've had it for about 2 and a half years now. It's one of their older ones. First with the "Viper" headstock. Its also the first and only one of three of the guitars with the Viper shape. Second one is a forum friend who talked to me about it before making his, and the other one is a guy who made an exact copy of mine but 6 strings.

Last edited:
I've had the same experience as you. They took forever to react to my mails, reason why I didn't order a guitar from them. The guitars do look great though!
I've ordered my custom 7 string from Serpentine Guitars in the UK (should be ready in two months). Maybe worth to look into. Great guy to deal with, you'll have a response in a few hours. He's not the most expensive guy in town and makes everything by hand, so I think custom shapes aren't a problem.

Guys, thanks for the heads up.

I must say my enthusiasm for a new axe (from them) has gone down.
Thing is I'm not located in Europe and for me ordering a custom guitar is kind of a gamble but I figured these guys are pro's and "all should be 100%" but apparently nothing can guaranty that.
If I get a guitar which is not 100% = I'm in a big problem

I had 3 names crossing my head when starting to look for a new custom:
Daemoness – I like them the most but they are so expensive.
Mayones - I don’t like so much the way they look / build their guitars.
Skervesen

So Skervesen where my choice as they look good (IMO) and the cost is something I can afford.

Ok, back to the drawing board, I have to think again about this.

Thanks guys.

Daemoness – I like them the most but they are so expensive.

You get what you pay for and then some. Worth every penny.

11953602_10206191621602210_542855349617177759_o.jpg

Where are you from? And why do you need a custom guitar? What specs aren't available in a production instrument that you need to go the custom route for? This is an important point to take into account since a lot of companies are catching up with what people want in an extended range instrument e.g: Schecter, Carvin, Strandberg etc

WOW, this Daemoness is soooo beautiful.

Where are you from? And why do you need a custom guitar? What specs aren't available in a production instrument that you need to go the custom route for?

Hmmmm, good question.
I'm from Israel.
After playing for more than 30 years and going through so many guitars I came to a point where I want something special, something that include everything I like to have / see in a guitar and above all something that is 100% me.

I already have one custom guitar from a local known boutique workshop which was built about 5 years ago, I like it but there are few things I would have do differently if I could go back in time so I decided to sell it (I really need to scale down in terms of guitars) and build another one, this time to try other workshop.

Now, there are grate options out there, Suhr, Tom Anderson, Carvin etc… but I feel that in each there is some compromise form my side and above all these brands are expensive so if I'm already spending the $$$, way not make it special? One of a kind guitar…

I like exotic woods and modern approach in terms of sound, I like prestige look, actually these Daemoness and Skervesen do represent very good what I like.

Attachments

• 20140525_001001.jpg
    20140525_001001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20160123_155521.jpg
    20160123_155521.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 6
Check out Serpentine Guitars...not ridiculously expensive and as far as I know he's open to make your guitar exactly the way you want it. Including all sorts of wood etc.

A big warning sign for me is how a company respond to emails. If they don't answer in reasonable time, the answer seems uninterested or they even doesn't answer some questions you asked, I'll find someone else.
I understand exactly what you mean by compromising. Anderson, Suhr, Vigier etc has a lot of options but you can't order anything outside of those options.
Like me for instance, i like superstrat style guitars with short Gibson scale, 24 frets and hardtail. There are no such options available anywhere except if you buy from a builder who have full custom options. Add to that custom neck profiles and it's even harder.
In my research I've come across a lot of small builders that will build you anything you wish. The problem is, how do you know how good they really are of you don't live close and can visit them and try their guitars in person.
I could give you a couple of names but they mainly build strat or lp style guitars. I think you should consider the above tips from the other guys if you're looking for skervesen style stuff.

Lots of horror stories floating around the MD/GP page about Skerv.

I've also heard some owners sing their praises.

Both are probably true, but for that price range I expect better odds.

I understand exactly what you mean by compromising. Anderson, Suhr, Vigier etc has a lot of options but you can't order anything outside of those options.

In my research I've come across a lot of small builders that will build you anything you wish. The problem is, how do you know how good they really are of you don't live close and can visit them and try their guitars in person.

Exactly.

I droped them an email, lets se the response time as a starter.

Last edited:
Another issue is producing time.
Daemoness are talking about something like 2 years or so? There is no way I’m waiting 2 years for a guitar, not a chance! especially when it is so expensive.
Skervesen in general talks about less than a year and price tag is high but not crazy high so this are also important argument for my choice of builder.

I will not take a chance with an un known builder, not if they are not local so I can check the progress at any time.

Another skervesen owner here. If you are located in Germany, you are invited to try mine :) And if you are somewhere else, try to find someone near you in the Facebook Skervesen owner group.
So things I can tell you:
-You need to be patient. They are cool to talk to but need a long time to respond. But if you know what you want and pack all your questions in in a few mails, things go "quick". They react to problems and do their best to correct it. I can give you some examples if you want.
-About the quality issues: They had some at the beginning, but they completely stepped up their game. Mine is from 2014 and flawless. I bought a used one from 2013 and I could find some minor cosmetic flaws but nothing to worry about. All of the newer ones I know about had a superb feedback.

About my guitars:
They are just beautiful and are high quality. They feel, play and sound awesome. I can't say anything bad about mine and I am going to order more, cause they are worth every penny.

nqqryd.jpg

More pics: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4326502-post56.html

Haieb, what a nice looking axe :)

Just to summery,

Skervesen acting as mentioned here, I didn’t receive even a single replay to my emails – I don’t think I will take the chance with a workshop that ignore on first approach.

Mayones, lightning fast and good communication but the price tag I got for my specs made me dizzy…

Daemoness - what an amazing piece but unfortunately the specs I want are not on my budget and above all I’m not waiting 2-3 years for a guitar.

So, for now I have to rethink the whole thing. I’m not based in EU or US so everything is done by “remoter control” = I can’t take a chance with an unknown name.

Will see.

Thanks to all of you guys, your input was very important.

Well, to be fair it's only been like 24 hours since you said you sent an email to them. Just for fun I looked up my email correspondence dates with them. I had several details and questions to work out, naturally for such a specíal and pricey guitar.
Me: 4 Oct -14
S: Nothing
Me: 7 Oct -14
S: 12 Oct -14
Me: 13 Oct -14
S: 23 Oct -14
Me: 2 Nov -14
S: 5 Nov -14
Me: 5 Nov -14
S: 12 Nov -14

So I exaggerated, it wasnt several weeks, only 1 week, but still...

Back
Top Bottom