How about a conclusive 'Plug This There' guide for MFC-Edit please?

EvilPhish

Inspired
I'm irritated, granted, after staying up really late fighting with Java, getting up extra early this morning to compensate for some lost time, dropping my french press and killing it, and now I'm on roughly hour 8 (since around 6 this morning) of trying to get MFC-Edit to work with my XL on a Mac with my MFC-101mkIII.

I've searched and googled and youtubed and read the wiki and the manuals for both of the things all DAY.
There are so many conflicting reports on how to plug what where and what settings to adjust within the AFX and the MFC that I've pretty much lost track of what I've done where at this point.

I've absolutely loved my XL since I got it last year and I've enjoyed many gigs with it, but at this point I don't even really want to look at the damn thing. There is ZERO reason that it should be this difficult to accomplish something like this in this day and age.

Just seems to be the paradigm. I don't think a holistic workflow was a priority. You either use the MFC to control the Axe -or- you edit with Mfc-Edit and they are completely separate events with a different setup & connections.

One word, son: Aeropress.

You're welcome.

Haha, you are such a dick!
But I really needed that today, thanks man. ;)

A word about the author of this, I may be frustrated as hell, but I can't say enough good things about him and his help. He's an awesome cat and I really appreciate it.

Looks like I stumbled on a solution (that should have been obvious).

Called a friend and had him bring over one of those cheap little Midisport 2x2's. Plugged it in, plugged a pair of MIDI cables into the MFC, fired up MFC-Edit and things went swimmingly.

Just had to, y'know, replace a $2500 unit with a $40 one I guess. :|

Without going in for some pricey stuff an Aeropress and a nice burr grinder will give you an amazing cup of coffee at home.

I say this having access to an insane number of ways to get coffee at work. No less than 7 ways to make it myself plus baristas who pull perfect espresso. The Aeropress is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, even though I haven't seen anything about it posted here, I got a nice email from Gary letting me know that he's updated the MFC-Edit software to include a bit button that says 'Help in connecting', you press it and it's a quick walkthrough to make sure you've got your connections and settings in proper order.

Seriously, like, on the weekend a DAY or so after I was pulling my hair out.

Dude's incredible and even if I HADN"T been able to get it working beforehand and was still stuck, I wouldn't want a refund (which I don't, things are fine, I'm happy, all is well, just to clarify) based on that effort alone.

Holy crap, that's some kind of customer service right there, damn.

Done! It's in build #2414 on the servers!
:)

I'm irritated, granted, after staying up really late fighting with Java, getting up extra early this morning to compensate for some lost time, dropping my french press and killing it, and now I'm on roughly hour 8 (since around 6 this morning) of trying to get MFC-Edit to work with my XL on a Mac with my MFC-101mkIII.

I've searched and googled and youtubed and read the wiki and the manuals for both of the things all DAY.
There are so many conflicting reports on how to plug what where and what settings to adjust within the AFX and the MFC that I've pretty much lost track of what I've done where at this point.

I've absolutely loved my XL since I got it last year and I've enjoyed many gigs with it, but at this point I don't even really want to look at the damn thing. There is ZERO reason that it should be this difficult to accomplish something like this in this day and age.

avoid the power brick & USB/MIDI usage altogether.

You don't need the power supply; you can power the MFC with FASLink or Ethernet and still use an outboard MIDI interface. It's how I do firmware updates; I use the same Midisport 2x2 mentioned above, but I leave the Axe powering the MFC.

Had to look that up, but pretty cool. I assume it works well?

Coffeeaholics unite!

Yea, very well. You can get a better pull from a good espresso machine, but I don't think you can get a better americano for the money. I'll do two scoops, 196º F water up to 2.5 on the Aeropress, stir for 15 and then press. Top up the cup with hot water. It's much drier than a french press. If you like to taste the difference between your coffee beans and don't want to put out for a very expensive and space-consuming espresso machine it's top notch.

What connection do I use for the MFC Edit software? Currently use a Ethernet cable. Want to be able to use my Mac to edit my MFC functions.

Go to the Tools menu of the MFC-Edit program. Choose "Send File to MFC-101", then click on the wide button at the bottom of the Transmit/Receive window that labelled "Get Help Connecting The MFC-101 To Your Computer"

You don't need the power supply; you can power the MFC with FASLink or Ethernet and still use an outboard MIDI interface. It's how I do firmware updates; I use the same Midisport 2x2 mentioned above, but I leave the Axe powering the MFC.

I'm jealous! lol I also have a midisport 2x2 and that setup just wouldn't work for me. As soon as I unplugged the FASLINK from the MFC and powered it up with the wall wart it worked flawlessly. It also worked, albeit VERY sporadically, use the Axe as the MIDI interface but the only 100% reliable connection I get is connecting the MFC stand alone.

It just occurred to me that perhaps it's something in the MFC configuration (eg. total sync) that could be the difference?!?

Back
Top Bottom