How’s Win 10 treating you?

It all works but it feels cobbled together like a bunch of different teams worked on different things with no unified vision or guidance.

I suggest an edit:

It mostly works but it is cobbled together like a bunch of different teams worked on different things with no unified vision or guidance.

That's what happens when you have thousands of people working on stuff, all of whom have conflicting motivations, and some of whom actively try to stab each other in the back. Much of the rest don't really give a shit about anything other than their next bonus or promotion (which hardly ever aligns with actually doing good work). That's how all large companies work, Microsoft is not an exception. Every now and then stars align and you get a small team of people who really give a shit and pull in the same direction, but such teams aren't typically allowed to survive for very long because they make everyone else look bad. I pray Fractal Audio never becomes what I just described, because I don't know where else to go for truly great guitar processing.

Three week update:
tldr: Still sucks.

No continuity. Some programs have a colored title bar when active which turns white when it loses focus. Other apps have no discernible title bar and they're just white on white or various shades of light gray. Still other programs (Office for example) have a colored title bar that's a different color than the theme and doesn't change regardless of whether the window has focus.

Dialog boxes are a mish-mash of different styles. Some are a Chrome rip-off that use far too much real estate for a handful of settings. Others are the traditional Windows dialog boxes with traditional UI elements while others (Office again) are something altogether different.

No consistency in interface. Most programs you can right-click them on the task bar and choose close. But not Groove Music. Why? It's frustrating expecting something to happen and it doesn't just for one program.

File Explorer. WTF? Why do I need a 3D Objects folder? Just show me my directory structure, is that too much to ask? Yes, I know the registry hacks to remove it but I shouldn't need to hack the registry to do that.

System settings are a lesson in how not to design something. Trying to find the performance settings is enough to drive someone mad. Do I click System? Nope. Settings? Uh, that's the same thing as System apparently. Why is it even there?

Apps and Features has a link to Programs and Features. Why? Just put it all in one place.

It all works but it feels cobbled together like a bunch of different teams worked on different things with no unified vision or guidance.

There are some good aspects. Audio handling seems improved. The kernel seems stable. Device support is good. Everything works. It's just the UI that is such a letdown.
Just out of curiosity, which Win10 version is it ? 1903, 1909, 1809 ?

Exactly and it's very easy to find the commands on line. Very easy to learn them and commit to memory. I guess I just assume that folks know you can do almost "everything" in win 10 with the keyboard. That's what I do. Somethings of course you cannot.

Learn commands from memory? You've obviously never worked with average computer users. You know that George Carlin joke that says how stupid the average person is and that you have realize half of the people are more stupid then that? With computers it's safe to say more then 2/3rds of computer users are more stupid then that. 3/4ers? 4/5th? I have immense respect for people working at computer helpdesks who have to remotely help the average computer user.

Learn commands from memory?
Try working on an OS like Unix or Linux.

It's ALL command line. And the command names are not always relative (unless you know the history) to what you are trying to do.

Granted, there are some things you can do with the GUI (that's an add-on to the OS which you can choose from many options)...

Well I just do not think people are stupid. But hey, I am just average. And yes I have taught classes to PC users, for MS for many, many years.
Just a "easy stupid" example of using your memory for commands. Keyboard shortcuts have been in Windows for a long time.
So with ctrl+Alt and (pick a letter from the alphabet) you can open an executable using the keyboard. So if you know the alphabet you can learn 26 kybrd shortcuts easily. Yes, you have to learn how to find the executable which is easy, just ask Mr. Google.
I don't think people are as stupid as you and the great philosopher Carlin say. That is a simple example of course.
Might be better to say most people, with respect to computers are LAZY, not stupid.
Also, my post was in relation to Musicians and computers because I somehow thought that's what this forum was all about.

I FINALLY bit the bullet and upgraded from 7 to 10 on my Boot Camp partition on a Mac Air 2013.

Compared to Win7 it is SLOW. I turned off a bunch of "appearance" features and it's a little better but still takes seconds to open OS based things. The interface is both clunky and "oversimplified" in some ways.

Now I'm trying to update to Boot Camp 6 but it won't install...

I FINALLY bit the bullet and upgraded from 7 to 10 on my Boot Camp partition on a Mac Air 2013.

Compared to Win7 it is SLOW. I turned off a bunch of "appearance" features and it's a little better but still takes seconds to open OS based things. The interface is both clunky and "oversimplified" in some ways.

Now I'm trying to update to Boot Camp 6 but it won't install...
Yes, the lag in opening things is annoying. When you opened a file with Win7 it was nearly instantaneous. In Windows 10 there is a perceptible lag that's really annoying.

This was great. When I was designing CPU hardware, my boss always used to hate that we were squeezing every cycle out of the hardware when the overall user experience was getting slower and bloated. All the extra horsepower over the last 8-10 years has been used to save development time for software engineers and not to increase the performance for the user.

I have a few concert videos pinned to vlc in the task bar (right click vlc icon to select video). On win 10 sometimes i select a video and nothing happens for like 20 seconds or more, so then i right click the vlc icon again and suddenly vlc starts up. It makes me feel like i caught a crappy employee sleeping on the job.

It sucks. Worse OS since ME. I don't buy the search excuse. It's just that: an excuse for not organizing things properly in the first place. And how do you search for something if you don't even know what to call it? The control panel I was looking for I'm still not sure what it's called. And every other update breaks the search anyways.

And... ADS!!!! F*cking ads in paid software. What greedy pricks... "Hey, we see you're using the snip tool. Well guess what, we're taking it away but you can buy a new version from our store". "Freecell, oh you like that game, great! Here's 30 seconds of advertisements before you can play another round. Oh, you want to play again? You have to buy a subscription".

Some other nice "touches": MS Word doesn't remember window settings. Close the program and the next time you open the document the window size is different. Something in the OS is causing a 1/2 second lag with OrCad. When I click on a component or net it doesn't register for about 1/2 second which gives the impression the click didn't take. Just long enough to be really irritating.

Every now and then it just refuses to find our NAS so I have to reboot. Never had that problem on Win7.

Everything, EVERYTHING, feels like a step backwards and just a way to extract more money out of their customers. It also feels "lazy". Like no one really cares and the upper management making the decisions only cares about money. It feels like it was designed by committee and then subcontracted to the lowest bidder. So nothing really works as well as it could and there's no continuity.
Window 10 from a User interface is best thing since windows 98 if you ask me, and I have been using windows since 3.11 for work groups... My dad use to say to me you need to learn the technology... RIP Dad...

Windows 10 is amazing, particularly for enterprise environments. The amount of control you can have over the
OS at scale is unrivaled.
Try working on an OS like Unix or Linux.

It's ALL command line. And the command names are not always relative (unless you know the history) to what you are trying to do.

Granted, there are some things you can do with the GUI (that's an add-on to the OS which you can choose from many options)...

The new versions of Windows Server will likely not have a gui, actually MS wanted to release Server 2019 that way, but was pressed not to do so. With Poweshell you can manage the whole system, admins better learn PS fast to keep their jobs :)

I am curious to read the performance of Windows 10 is for some people bad, I have used, installed and administered every version of Windows from 3.11 and 10 is by far the best effort from M$, on almost every aspect. The only major drawback I see is that now it is overwhelmingly complex to manage if you want to have full control of it, I mean if you want to use it at home, are you going to setup Powershell language in restricted mode and enable AppLocker for having a decent security level? that is the reason I moved to MacOS 4 months ago, I did not want to work too at home, but at enterprise level is just unbeatable, with the AD integration, you have a full control of thousands of systems with a couple of clicks.

Having used Windows for more than 25 years made me very familiar with the UI, I never had an usability problem with Windows 10, I am having now with MacOS and its silly way to have command under three key stroke combinations, not putting a "Cut" in the contextual menu, and all that stuff, but it is just because I am not used to it.

Windows has to be open to a lot of HW and SW vendors, that makes its API a monster and also so much scrutiny reveals many flaws, but think this Windows 10 is really nice, with every rolling release is better, at least my opinion as long term user and IT professional, which does not make me right, of course.

Windows 10 works fine on all my laptops, tablet desktop etc in the house and at work...it's stable, never had any issues and does the job for me

Windows 10 is amazing, particularly for enterprise environments. The amount of control you can have over the
OS at scale is unrivaled.

The new versions of Windows Server will likely not have a gui, actually MS wanted to release Server 2019 that way, but was pressed not to do so. With Poweshell you can manage the whole system, admins better learn PS fast to keep their jobs :)

I am curious to read the performance of Windows 10 is for some people bad, I have used, installed and administered every version of Windows from 3.11 and 10 is by far the best effort from M$, on almost every aspect. The only major drawback I see is that now it is overwhelmingly complex to manage if you want to have full control of it, I mean if you want to use it at home, are you going to setup Powershell language in restricted mode and enable AppLocker for having a decent security level? that is the reason I moved to MacOS 4 months ago, I did not want to work too at home, but at enterprise level is just unbeatable, with the AD integration, you have a full control of thousands of systems with a couple of clicks.

Having used Windows for more than 25 years made me very familiar with the UI, I never had an usability problem with Windows 10, I am having now with MacOS and its silly way to have command under three key stroke combinations, not putting a "Cut" in the contextual menu, and all that stuff, but it is just because I am not used to it.

Windows has to be open to a lot of HW and SW vendors, that makes its API a monster and also so much scrutiny reveals many flaws, but think this Windows 10 is really nice, with every rolling release is better, at least my opinion as long term user and IT professional, which does not make me right, of course.

The thing I dislike the most about Win10 is how MS has removed the ability to access extensive properties in some functions, like managing wifi networks. Those have become as simplistic as on my smartphone, and for me not in a good way. But I can't fault Win10 for that because Win8 already set that trend. I also don't like how you have to access most key windows settings in general, which seem less extensive than in previous versions, also opting for a more simplified layout.

Well in my experience there is a ton of possibilities with Powershell now, for advanced users. It is true though that many advanced features have been removed from the gui, or hidden behind the most elemental options.

Back
Top Bottom