Hotone midi pedal help needed :-(

DavidCarrMusic

Inspired
Hello chums.
I purchased a Hotone Control midi pedal. I think I'm a reasonably intelligent Gen-X kinda bloke but f**k me, I can't get this thing to do what a midi pedal does- patch and bank up/down. Help, please help. And if you can't send help, please send a good ventriloquist (that's a Goodies joke).

I'm not sure you can do Bank up/down with a midi controller...

You can do preset up/down by setting the midi CC numbers you want to use here (Preset Increment/Decrement):
DD64C146-2D2F-4B9D-B0A8-80BF76B5CA45.jpeg

Then you need to get the midi controller to send those CCs on the same midi channel that your FM3 is set to use.

The manual doesn't say what CC value to send, but if you see a little below where it talks about Scene increment/decrement it mentions the value needs to be above 63.

This is typical midi IA (instant access) on/off: 0-63 == off and 64-127 == on. Most people (and many midi controllers) just use 0 == off and 127 == on.

So make sure you're sending the CC numbers you choose with "on" values.

Hi I am waiting for mine so can't demonstrate. You cannot switch banks on the axe fx from most midi controllers.
But you should be able to select patches in any bank directly with these commands from the templates :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-200432.jpg
    Screenshot_20211009-200432.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 17
I'm not sure you can do Bank up/down with a midi controller...

You can do preset up/down by setting the midi CC numbers you want to use here (Preset Increment/Decrement):
View attachment 89880

Then you need to get the midi controller to send those CCs on the same midi channel that your FM3 is set to use.

The manual doesn't say what CC value to send, but if you see a little below where it talks about Scene increment/decrement it mentions the value needs to be above 63.

This is typical midi IA (instant access) on/off: 0-63 == off and 64-127 == on. Most people (and many midi controllers) just use 0 == off and 127 == on.

So make sure you're sending the CC numbers you choose with "on" values.
I can't work out this Ampero control so how do I get my good ol Boss FC50 (or VL Ground control) to change patches on my FM3. They both work with my Axe II so has something changed? The FM3 dosen't respond to the FC50 as yet.

Hi I am waiting for mine so can't demonstrate. You cannot switch banks on the axe fx from most midi controllers.
But you should be able to select patches in any bank directly with these commands from the templates :
I can get the FM3 to respond to individual patch commands by assigning a button to a specific patch, but it won't behave like I expected: Button 1 = patch 1, Button 4 = patch 4 etc. My Voodoo labs ground control (I use with my AFX2) was a breeze compared to the Hotone.

Simple patch changes should need almost no setup.

You send a PC and a number value, you get a preset change to that number. May be off by 1 depending on your PC Offset setting.

Also make sure you have PC Mapping disabled on your FM3.

I assume you have these devices all set to send on the midi channel the FM3 is set to?

Normally I receive mine this afternoon so I'll revert later on if all goes well.
You surely will have to parameter each and every button command as well as the controller's bank up/down settings.

Hi, effectively received the unit and just gave it a short try "on the fly". Came with the power supply and a USB cable. Also the power supply input is 9-18V which means, preferably inserting an ultra-fast fuse on the line, you might power it directly from the FASlink 12Vdc

For me the thing rocks and perfectly fits under my FM3, negociating 2cm for the future cable connections.., which was the main reason for me to try this controller as I largely prefer the Voes MX5 controller for it's functionnalities (and it has leds for each button, not available on the hotone controller!). But the MX5 is too large for my board unfortunately and as I intend to use the hotone only for scene commands it should to the job. Let's hope FAS will redesing the size of the active scene display on the UI someday...)

It's a bit difficult at first sight to get used to the controller's user interface but once you dig it it's quite easy in fact. So far I made 2 banks with scene commands, one bank with what they call Single commands, so each button is one Scene command, then another bank with Toggle commands, so button 1 -> S1/S2, button 2 S3/S4 etc..

I have no doubt this works the same for PC commands, or any other command of the template list which seems quite complete IMHO. Dit not check yet if sysex messages can be sent, what could be useful later on..

There's one flaw compared to the FM3 toggle functionning; ie that the Hotone remembers the last position of each switch . For example when on the FM3 I use scene toggle 1/2 on button one and then scene toggle 3/4 on button 2, once I pressed button 2 the memory of button 1 is reset, so at next press of button 1 it will select Scene 1. This reset function (or exclusive function) is not existing on the hotone pedal, or not yet at least.-< if you were on S1 when hitting button 2 for S3, on the next push on button 1 you'll activate S2, and not S1 like it would work on FM3. This means you'll have to keep good memory of what you did or rather use single commands.

Connecting the unit to my phone was a bit of a hassle. In fact you have to initiate the connection from your smartphone using the UI software presssing buttons 2-3 in the same time on your unit, and not from your bluetooth host UI of the phone (hope this is clear).

Once you are connected, in a few minutes all becomes very easy. BTW the thing can send midi commands as well over Bluetooth, as over midi as over USB midi, which is good.

Regarding the difficulties @DavidCarrMusic met : I suggest you first copy the template commands you intend to use from the "Axel Fx" templates, to a user templates bank so to limit your choices. Then you edit the bank you want to program (indicated on the right top of you phone screen) loading the commands for each button and adapt the values of CC or PC commands.

I had to stop at this point as I need to pack for a one week job trip to Paris and Lille starting tomorrow (and stay the weekend in the Netherlands, it's my sister's birthday and was not there for that date/occasion for quite some years; It will also be the occasion to take the FM3 and have some fun with my old friends there !)

Might post a small vid in a few weeks on my soundcloud test site as I think this small thing is really an asset for FM3 users.

Attachments

• Hotone.PNG
    Hotone.PNG
    668.6 KB · Views: 29
Simple patch changes should need almost no setup.

You send a PC and a number value, you get a preset change to that number. May be off by 1 depending on your PC Offset setting.

Also make sure you have PC Mapping disabled on your FM3.

I assume you have these devices all set to send on the midi channel the FM3 is set to?
I found the problem. I had the editor connected via USB so the midi cable seemed to be ignored. Pulled the usb out and now my FC50 works. Thank the gods. Now for the hotone

Hi, effectively received the unit and just gave it a short try "on the fly". Came with the power supply and a USB cable. Also the power supply input is 9-18V which means, preferably inserting an ultra-fast fuse on the line, you might power it directly from the FASlink 12Vdc

For me the thing rocks and perfectly fits under my FM3, negociating 2cm for the future cable connections.., which was the main reason for me to try this controller as I largely prefer the Voes MX5 controller for it's functionnalities (and it has leds for each button, not available on the hotone controller!). But the MX5 is too large for my board unfortunately and as I intend to use the hotone only for scene commands it should to the job. Let's hope FAS will redesing the size of the active scene display on the UI someday...)

It's a bit difficult at first sight to get used to the controller's user interface but once you dig it it's quite easy in fact. So far I made 2 banks with scene commands, one bank with what they call Single commands, so each button is one Scene command, then another bank with Toggle commands, so button 1 -> S1/S2, button 2 S3/S4 etc..

I have no doubt this works the same for PC commands, or any other command of the template list which seems quite complete IMHO. Dit not check yet if sysex messages can be sent, what could be useful later on..

There's one flaw compared to the FM3 toggle functionning; ie that the Hotone remembers the last position of each switch . For example when on the FM3 I use scene toggle 1/2 on button one and then scene toggle 3/4 on button 2, once I pressed button 2 the memory of button 1 is reset, so at next press of button 1 it will select Scene 1. This reset function (or exclusive function) is not existing on the hotone pedal, or not yet at least.-< if you were on S1 when hitting button 2 for S3, on the next push on button 1 you'll activate S2, and not S1 like it would work on FM3. This means you'll have to keep good memory of what you did or rather use single commands.

Connecting the unit to my phone was a bit of a hassle. In fact you have to initiate the connection from your smartphone using the UI software presssing buttons 2-3 in the same time on your unit, and not from your bluetooth host UI of the phone (hope this is clear).

Once you are connected, in a few minutes all becomes very easy. BTW the thing can send midi commands as well over Bluetooth, as over midi as over USB midi, which is good.

Regarding the difficulties @DavidCarrMusic met : I suggest you first copy the template commands you intend to use from the "Axel Fx" templates, to a user templates bank so to limit your choices. Then you edit the bank you want to program (indicated on the right top of you phone screen) loading the commands for each button and adapt the values of CC or PC commands.

I had to stop at this point as I need to pack for a one week job trip to Paris and Lille starting tomorrow (and stay the weekend in the Netherlands, it's my sister's birthday and was not there for that date/occasion for quite some years; It will also be the occasion to take the FM3 and have some fun with my old friends there !)

Might post a small vid in a few weeks on my soundcloud test site as I think this small thing is really an asset for FM3 users.
Excellent update Lux. Let me know if you can work out how to send CC messages that correspond to External 1 to 16

Back
Top Bottom