1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

HotKitty (1.05) is nasty as hell!

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by rsf1977_again, Dec 13, 2015.

1. frankyandreas

frankyandreas
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Trying this block out for the first time today. Really addictive.

2. Roadrunner

Roadrunner
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thanks for the tip, I just tried it with your settings and IR's and also with a bad cat cab IR, no doubt with your settings the amp grew a pair of nasty iron balls!
    Man, this is amp + IR sounds fantastic, gona try that in coming rehearsal.

rsf1977_again likes this.
  3. greiswig

greiswig
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Yeah, I know. But I'm puzzled as to whether the model may be "wrong" because of a bad setting of the negative feedback or not. And, like I said, even with the low cut at 450Hz, there is a lot of bass there. Seems odd.

The Hot Cat I remember had this great low-mid growl to it. That's what made me want a Tele for it. It rolled off the shrillness of the bridge pickup and turned it into all the girth you'd ever want, but with the bite that you expect from a Tele. Without some pretty big tweaks, I'm not getting that out of the AFX version. Not that it doesn't sound good in some respects, just not like what I remember.

4. Rotti

Rotti
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Pretty much exactly what I do with that model (which, with the real deal, is all about cranking the mids), and it slays!

trb likes this.
  5. rsf1977_again

rsf1977_again
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Yeah, I have the mids around 9.5 and it sounds mean and in your face. This amp is a gem

6. Brownmatthall

Brownmatthall
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Hmm, I wouldn't be able to comment having never played the real deal but is there any possibility there are discrepancies between models? Hopefully cliff can chime in!

7. #27 Rex, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Cliff modeled a very sharp, very low-frequency peak in the speaker impedance curve, which is exactly what he measured on the real deal.

8. greiswig

greiswig
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Interesting! Mine was the Matchless-modified Celestion Vintage 30, and the only mod to it was a proprietary treatment of the cone or cone edge. Is the measurement made based on the speaker, or the output transformer?

Would you also happen to know about the 450Hz high pass filter in the power amp and the high cut/Onfb instead of a Brilliance control?

9. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

It models the speaker impedance, so it's based on the speaker.

The Low Cut (high pass) parameter is a function of the amp, not the speaker.

"Hi Cut" is what the Presence control becomes when there's no negative feedback. Without a feedback loop, there can be no Presence or Depth circuit.

10. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

The amp has a Hi Cut but it's labeled Brilliance. It's wired backwards so turning it CW gets brighter.

11. Gregmang

Gregmang
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thx all for the tips !

Just spent two hours with it paired with a PRS.

12. rsf1977_again

rsf1977_again
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I'd love to see some more Badcat models, this amp has a really unique vibe. It has pummeling tight low end, it's crystal clear and still aggressive. So damn good.

13. ByTheHandOf

ByTheHandOf
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Wow!!!! The minor tweaks you suggest, really bring a nice roar to this amp!! I played a "real" bad cat a few years back, when I was stand-in in a local band, and when I did your tweak and put in my own cabs, it instantly took me back to all the wonderful memories from that tour!! It's def gonna be my new go-to amp for overdubs! Hint, a fuzz in front really exaggerates the roar in a kool way!!

rsf1977_again likes this.
  14. rsf1977_again

rsf1977_again
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I'll give that a shot!

15. rsf1977_again

rsf1977_again
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Well, 1.06. Wow. This amp just got better. It sounds thicker and more aggressive. It's hard to describe, it's a beast, even more than before. I have instantly become a Badcat fan. I'd buy this amp tomorrow if there was a 100 watt version.

16. 79_limited

79_limited
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Love, love, love this amp. Try it with any of ML Labs AC-30 cabs and things get really nasty.

17. Brownmatthall

Brownmatthall
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

just updated to 1.06 and tried the model out and holy crap does it sound great. i used to be able to get the master to like....5 MAYBE before it got overly wooly and woofy. cranked it right up to 10 and it just got snarlier and snarlier, i think im love all over again hahaha. tried it with a fuzz face in the front to see how far off the edge i could push it and it was just something else man

18. Alex C

Alex C
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thanks for posting about this amp; I had tried this model a few times over various firmwares and it never stood out to me (which could have been due to poor IR selection on my part or a lack of effort in tweaking to get a good sound). I will echo the reviews in this thread describing tight low end and aggressive mids.

I really liked what I was hearing (and feeling) in 1.05, and I posted a recording of some noodling with it over in the "Recordings" subforum.
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...st-drop-d-noodling-cleanish-and-heavy.107982/

19. B-Rad

B-Rad
    Expand Collapse
    New here

What a great find! I switched the amp in my go-to high gain patch from a 5153 Red to the Hot Kitty, juiced the mids and wow what a great variation! Slightly less modern, and thicker. Thanks!

20. greiswig

greiswig
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I got something right! Somebody write down the date: