Hotel California verse 2

One guitar/preset covering 5 harmony parts.

Axe-FX audio only:

TDvK4mx.png

sNlv2cL.jpg

Awesome thanks for sharing very nice...

Incredible. Sounds amazing. Can you use one of the same custom scales for the outro solo with the arpeggios?? I'm trying to build a preset for Hotel Cal on Ax Fx III. Thanks.

Thanks. Those settings won't quite do it, but here's a way: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hotel-california.105587/post-1263425

It's probably easier to have a separate preset for the outro, switching to it somewhere during the solo.

Also, custom shift mode & global scales aren't actually needed if you use different channels of dual harmony mode, with different scales set in the block. The link above can still work as a guide. For example measures 1 & 3 use the same setting to harmonize Bm or A arps. Define a custom scale of all 6 notes in those chords (B C# D E F# A) and use harmony -3. Measures 2 & 4 can use B melodic minor (notes of E7 + F#7) although if you're doing the live version bends the second time through, that should be A melodic minor to sound right on the E7 measure. The 8th measure would need its own scale with this approach; custom 4-note F#7 arp/scale F#-A#-C#-E works and gets the right notes for the live thing they'd add there (d c# d e high, b a# b c# low).

Thanks. Those settings won't quite do it, but here's a way: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hotel-california.105587/post-1263425

It's probably easier to have a separate preset for the outro, switching to it somewhere during the solo.

Also, custom shift mode & global scales aren't actually needed if you use different channels of dual harmony mode, with different scales set in the block. The link above can still work as a guide. For example measures 1 & 3 use the same setting to harmonize Bm or A arps. Define a custom scale of all 6 notes in those chords (B C# D E F# A) and use harmony -3. Measures 2 & 4 can use B melodic minor (notes of E7 + F#7) although if you're doing the live version bends the second time through, that should be A melodic minor to sound right on the E7 measure. The 8th measure would need its own scale with this approach; custom 4-note F#7 arp/scale F#-A#-C#-E works and gets the right notes for the live thing they'd add there (d c# d e high, b a# b c# low).
Thanks @Bakerman I'm giving it a shot. Hoping to be able to keep it in one preset, if possible.

Awesome. Quick question: I tune my guitar down to Eb so I assume I have to adjust the scales accordingly?

I can't seem to make it work and sound right. I need some help. Is there a good thread on how to use the pitch block for beginners?

Bump @Bakerman Dude, you're the only person who seems to know how to do this. :)

Last edited:
I've been tinkering for a couple of days and have run into a couple problems. I run a guitar with a stereo out with a piezo so I run my magnetics left and piezo right. Any tips on how to most effectively fold this into mono and not lose functionality?

I've checked some things in the patch that I would normally adjust on any downloaded or found patches (Amp in->Left, Output block balances, etc.) This is by far the most complex piece of routing I've ever thrown myself into so I'm sure I've missed something because the first note "B" measure 1 is sounding with a "G" below for me right now.

I also, once I've figured out the mechanics and playing in standard tuning, have to convert it 1/2 step down. I think I've traced all that down and will able to do that with a few tweaks I'm not sure if I will have to mess with the Key modifier curve or not other than sliding Max and Min down 1/2 step.

Ran the tune for the first time in practice tonight and we've got it but I can't wait to get this going and unleash it :)
Hi @Silentq2 I'm also trying to build a preset for Hotel Cal. What I can't figure out is which custom scales get used in what scenes. If you know, please share that info. I see from Bakerman's score above that it starts with Pitch 1 block using custom scale 1 but at end of 1st measure it also says Pitch 2 X B harm min +3. I don't what he means there. I'm using the Ax III so the pitch block has 4 channels so I don't think I need two pitch blocks. Any help would be appreciated. This is not easy. :)

Did you get the preset in the thread linked above and convert for Axe III with FracTool? The custom scales would also need to be configured. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/post-1607291

One pitch block might be able to get close. Two were used for a few specific things, like smooth harmony bends in the first half while a custom scale gets the descending 3rds line. The lack of an option like this is the reason the two blocks/modes were needed: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/pitch-block-custom-shift-smooth-tracking.68245/

Did you get the preset in the thread linked above and convert for Axe III with FracTool? The custom scales would also need to be configured. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/various-presets-tricks.135770/post-1607291

One pitch block might be able to get close. Two were used for a few specific things, like smooth harmony bends in the first half while a custom scale gets the descending 3rds line. The lack of an option like this is the reason the two blocks/modes were needed: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/pitch-block-custom-shift-smooth-tracking.68245/
I got it but I have never used fractool before and don't know how to use it. I am doing some research to learn what it does, etc.

Understood about to pitch blocks. This is the first time I'm using the pitch block for harmonies so this is all new.

I downloaded fractool and converted your preset. The harmonies are all off. Not sure why. I have all 4 custom scales set as you indicated. But I noticed that in Pitch 1 the key is set to G. It won't allow me to change it since it is controlled by a scene controller. Trying to fugure it out.

If you're playing 1/2 step down, the key modifier would need min/max set 1/2 step lower: F#-B instead of G-C. That's assuming other settings imported correctly.

I wouldn't worry too much about recreating this exactly on the III right now. I don't think it would sound very good until FAS improves this pitch detection issue. Panning would glitch or signal would cut out when ascending fifths get mis-detected as lower notes.

The live Felder/Walsh approach could be done with a simpler routing. It might be a few days or more before I can put something together on the Axe II for that.

Last edited:
If you're playing 1/2 step down, the key modifier would need min/max set 1/2 step lower: F#-B instead of G-C. That's assuming other settings imported correctly.

I wouldn't worry too much about recreating this exactly on the III right now. I don't think would sound very good until FAS improves this pitch detection issue. Panning would glitch or signal would cut out when ascending fifths get mis-detected as lower notes.

The live Felder/Walsh approach could be done with a simpler routing. It might be a few days or more before I can put something together on the Axe II for that.
Thanks. I'm using standard E tuning. I think something didn't convert correctly in Fractool.
Thanks. I saw this one but it is designed for the outro solos with the descending arpeggios. I'm trying to get the harmonies in the 2nd verse down.

One guitar/preset covering 5 harmony parts.

Axe-FX audio only:

TDvK4mx.png

sNlv2cL.jpg

Hi Bakerman, Would you have an AX8 version of this preset by any chance? Or anyone else that might have one on the forum? I loved your present with the harmonies. But I don't have to have the harmonic but more importantly the tone for the leads and rhythm sections (I an finger pick). I prefer not converting using FracTool since I am not that familiar with it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom