'Hotel California' - rehearsal recording

wolbai

Playing Hotel California in a Live-Duo as the only guitar player can be challenging ...

In the intro guitar part (12-string e-guitar) I have used a FX8 shimmer delay preset, I have got somewhere from this forum. All in all it is not completely sounding like the original, but it sounds right/good IMO in that recording.

Although, I am not that super satisfied with the pitch block effect (fast runs --> too much latency in the harmony note IMO ---> sounding wrong) the harmony notes during the verse-parts and the Outro lead part are pretty okay IMO.

But unfortunately the harmonies in the outro lead part can not be played with only one scale. I therefore have used THREE (!!!) custom scales (took me a while to understand and set it up correctly).
I switch between them with one of my expression pedals (heels, middle, toes position. That is a bit tricky, but somehow manageable ...

I have used the clean & crunch channel on my Marshall JVM410 head for the recording in our rehearsal room.

The Crunch Orange-Mode is a great channel for all medium crunch rhythm and lead parts.
The FX8 Tube Screamer effect (pre amp) makes the amp crunch a bit rougher.

That lead part sounds easy, but IMO it is not at all. Lots of challenging bending/vibrato licks. And this tune is rightly a classic rock master piece. Every guitar player should have gone through it at a certain time in his guitar journey.

Love my James Tyler Variax JTV69 for those applications, where I need an "exotic" guitar model (rickenbacker 12-string), acoustic parts or special tunings (capo at 7th fret) within a tune.
With the exception of that 12-string Intro/Bridge sounds, all other guitar part are played with the magnetic pickups.

All instruments of the playback are completely self made (different guitar tracks, midi-keyboard for bass and keys, Toontrack EZ Drummer 2 for the drum parts).

My duo partner and I did our best with heart and soul to make it sound good, well aware that it does not sound like the original tune.

I would like to hear your opinion about it.

wolbai

Make congratulations! The enormity of work involved! This is a very difficult track.
Nice solo, bit of too much guitar-chorus in the background, great vocals (high scale!).
Greetings.

@Jurek: Thx for your well meaning feedback!

Your statement regarding the work, until such a tune is recorded, indicates me that this song is part of your own song arsenal too ?

wolbai

Well done. Yeah, that must have taken a lot of work. Not that I have this song part of my arsenal, but just in realizing the work not only in learning the guitar parts (nice job with the solo) and vocal harmonies, but also programming/recording all of the backing tracks. And yeah, a tad bit heavy on the chorus in the intro.

That aside, when I clicked play on the video, I thought, "I hope they have the chops to nail the vocals and harmonies," and you guys did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom