"Hotel California" Harmony Preset

Yes its axe ii Can u send you me your Ax8 presets?
Undercrib@yahoo.com๐Ÿ™
OK. I just downloaded the preset and it uploaded into the AX8 without issue. This is an AX8 preset not AXE II. No need to convert from AXE II to AX8. Not sure why you would do that.

You still need to go into the Global Setup menu on the front panel (not in the in the AX8 Edit) and adjust the scales as per the instructions. I didn't do all but still getting some harmony.

Also please be aware that the preset from the OP was uploaded in 2016. The last firmware update for the AX8 was 2018. There might be some slight tweaking you need to do. Maybe...

OK. I just downloaded the preset and it uploaded into the AX8 without issue. This is an AX8 preset not AXE II. No need to convert from AXE II to AX8. Not sure why you would do that.

You still need to go into the Global Setup menu on the front panel (not in the in the AX8 Edit) and adjust the scales as per the instructions. I didn't do all but still getting some harmony.

Also please be aware that the preset from the OP was uploaded in 2016. The last firmware update for the AX8 was 2018. There might be some slight tweaking you need to do. Maybe...
Ok thank u for your time i will try it when i get home๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

Awesome job! I came upon this while putting together something for the FM9. The AX8 config doesn't directly translate but you made me aware of custom scales and scene controllers and I figured out the rest. Really good info.

Out of curiosity...does the AX8's Pitch block "Custom Shifter" do string bends? It looks like you are doing slides rather than bends during your harmonized parts though once or twice I think I caught a bend. The FM9 doesn't (as far as I have been able to configure it) - when I bend it jumps between notes but I may be overlooking a setting somewhere. I hope that is the case otherwise it definitely limits its usefulness.

Update: I do find a few notes can be bent and sound reasonably "normal" though the majority can't. I'm guessing it has to do with the offset intervals of the surrounding notes in the custom scale but I haven't had a go at figuring out that relationship yet.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...does the AX8's Pitch block "Custom Shifter" do string bends? It looks like you are doing slides rather than bends during your harmonized parts though once or twice I think I caught a bend. The FM9 doesn't (as far as I have been able to configure it) - when I bend it jumps between notes but I may be overlooking a setting somewhere. I hope that is the case otherwise it definitely limits its usefulness.

Update: I do find a few notes can be bent and sound reasonably "normal" though the majority can't. I'm guessing it has to do with the offset intervals of the surrounding notes in the custom scale but I haven't had a go at figuring out that relationship yet.
Haven't had an AX8 in years so couldn't tell about the pitch shifting in it any more. You know, I created this post 8 years ago or so. I'm pretty sure on the original recording they use slides and they use a different fingering than what I use, I prefer my own fingering and using bends (at least these days) because I find that less prone to mistakes. From a pitch shifting point of view there shouldn't be any difference. I also aim to do quick bends (or slides) and yes, the first bend would be G# โ†’ A# so the harmony part would be F โ†’ F#, and during that slide bend when the note hits A between G# and A#, that's when the pitch would switch between F โ†’ F# and they stay on F# when the note continues to A#.

This Hotel California thread has been a great inspiration to me, so many thanks.
I had not until this week played around with the Controller/scene settings (per erm..scene). :) I set up 3 custom scales and played around with them to try to figure the % settings out. With (UK) the Royal Coronation taking place soon my mind went to Brian May/Queen's British national anthem tune. My preset is still a mile off but to untrained ears, it kind of sounds like it could be going in the right direction and would bring a smile to Mr. May's face. (In my dreams). My ideas are a work in progress but when modified a bit more I may share on here, to keep the AX8 section alive!
Thank you @Johan Allard for this wonderful thread and for giving me the inspiration to pick up my guitar again after some difficult recent times.

This Hotel California thread has been a great inspiration to me, so many thanks.
I had not until this week played around with the Controller/scene settings (per erm..scene). :) I set up 3 custom scales and played around with them to try to figure the % settings out. With (UK) the Royal Coronation taking place soon my mind went to Brian May/Queen's British national anthem tune. My preset is still a mile off but to untrained ears, it kind of sounds like it could be going in the right direction and would bring a smile to Mr. May's face. (In my dreams). My ideas are a work in progress but when modified a bit more I may share on here, to keep the AX8 section alive!
Thank you @Johan Allard for this wonderful thread and for giving me the inspiration to pick up my guitar again after some difficult recent times.
You are very welcome. Spending time with any art, and naturally music and playing guitar would be closest to us on this forum, is very healing and I think a great way to get through tough times. Keep rocking ๐Ÿค˜

Back
Top Bottom