Hot guitar output to warm up the cold digital sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite uses of the Axe-Fx ever has been Cooper Carter and Brett Kingman on YouTube, particularly with the Ernie Ball Music Man. It seems the hotter humbucker pickup output warms the sound of otherwise cold, digital emulation up a bit to my ears. I'm wondering if something like four Lace pickups wired to be coil splittable humbuckers could be hot enough to give a warmer sound on a customised guitar. The only thing stopping me from being amazingly excited about running out and buying an Axe-Fx now is I just can't hear enough warmth and there is a tiny bit of grain in the top end with digital. Still AUD$4,000 for a III Mk II is great value but unless I can get a way of making the grain and coolness work I'll have to keep waiting.

What Chris said. What is "cold digital sound"? That is intriguing. There are digital devices that could have issues with dither, jitter, compression, low sampling rate, aliasing, poor error correction, clicks pops and glitches, poor implementation of algorithms... But none of that is the case of the Axe-FX.

Hi Alexander,
I don’t suffer from the cold digital sound you are describing. Are you sure your monitoring setup is all it could be?
Thanks
Pauly

My favourite uses of the Axe-Fx ever has been Cooper Carter and Brett Kingman on YouTube, particularly with the Ernie Ball Music Man. It seems the hotter humbucker pickup output warms the sound of otherwise cold, digital emulation up a bit to my ears. I'm wondering if something like four Lace pickups wired to be coil splittable humbuckers could be hot enough to give a warmer sound on a customised guitar. The only thing stopping me from being amazingly excited about running out and buying an Axe-Fx now is I just can't hear enough warmth and there is a tiny bit of grain in the top end with digital. Still AUD$4,000 for a III Mk II is great value but unless I can get a way of making the grain and coolness work I'll have to keep waiting.

Huh. Interesting. There’s nothing in the sound I get that sounds “digital”, and it’s definitely warm when I push the volume. Maybe the Fletcher Munson effect is kicking in when you are listening?

And “grain”? Never heard it in the sound from my FX3 or FM3 even when listening closely with decent headphones. I seriously doubt you could tell the difference in a guitar recorded through either compared to a traditionally miked amp.

Guitarists often use strange monikers to describe their favorite or not so favorite guitar sounds. For the life of me I still don't know what a spongy or woody guitar sound is. And the analog brigade LOVES to throw even stranger words towards the digital brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom