Horror gig - Axe stopped working mid-gig!

My first outing with mine was great..corporate gig well paid, soundcheck early and as long as we wanted. Only thing was I pushed my QSC way harder becuase my home volume was so low. Rockin away mid set, song over I went to tweak...only to find no Axe!!! Thing had vibrated and fallen off backstage about four feet, but carried on working. Heart in mouth but still never failed me

All you guys helped me a lot by obviously keeping your fingers crossed the whole last night - I didn't have any problems with my gear at last night's show!
I admit I felt a little uneasy every time I called up the ominous preset 11 but everything worked like a charm.
Maybe now is a good time to buy a backup unit - at least now I have an excuse when asking my wife for the money for a brand new XL+. :)
So what did the problem end up being when you had that failure?

I have no idea what caused the problem. I rebuilt the corrupt preset from scratch and it worked fine from there on.

Yes, I checked the fan and it seems to work alright.

Always,always always have a backup!, even if you use a tube amp they can crap out too. I use a boss heavy metal pedal and a exh 44 magnum amp pedal thats 2 pedals into a cab for my backup... and if you get a courpt patch have some other patches that you can use in an emergency

If I were gigging regularly, I'd absolutely pick up a Tech 21 Fly Rig for backup purposes. Simple analog box with all the basics built into it.

Last night I experienced a horror gig. I adjusted all my presets with 8.01, checked every single preset to make sure they worked allright, backed them up, packed all my stuff and went off to the gig. So far so good.
The gig went allright as usual at first. However, when I called up preset 11 (which is a preset with about 80% cpu with nothing fancy in it, just an acoustic simulation and some mid-gain sound) there was no sound at all and the display flashed CPU overload. In the middle of the gig in front of several thousand people. Shite.
I quickly restored the backed up Bank A but to no avail. Preset 11 remained f****d up. So we had to skip the song with preset 11 and wanted to go on but from then on the sound came out of the unit delayed by about 2 seconds. I had to tell the FoH and the backline guys to mute everything so I could reboot the Axe without popping anyone's ears. From then on at least the remaining presets worked allright as long as I didn't touch preset 11. That was one horror gig believe me.
This morning I rebuilt preset 11 by copying the respective blocks from other presets and rechecked everything twice. Backed everything up and rechecked again. Now I'm headed to tonight's venue and my fellow band members are giving me a hard time regarding reliability for tonight's show, so please keep your fingers crossed that last night's nightmare was a one time experience...

However, has anyone experienced something similar and what was the cause? I'm an otherwise happy MkI user.
I have a fly rig in my guitar case

If I were gigging regularly, I'd absolutely pick up a Tech 21 Fly Rig for backup purposes. Simple analog box with all the basics built into it.

I do exactly that, along with an FX8 in case I feel like using - god forbid - an amp. And for the record, the only time my XL+ stopped working as normal was when there were power fluctuations from the site generators. No fault of the FAS unit itself. That's why the idea of a battery backup and a Furman regulator (see Matt's Metallica rig pic) appeals greatly to me. Never again do I want to improvise a rig in a hurry in front of 15K people.

Hey Burgs, What does the Tech 21 fly rig sound like thru your FRFR?
Thanks nickxmix

Pretty great, actually. It's a spartan setup as you have the one SansAmp with reverb (basically a blackface/tweed that can be driven to medium gain), a gritty OD, Clean Boost and a modulated tap-delay. It's mostly analog so it sounds good to my ears and I could easily get by with it if I needed or wanted to - and I have. Andrew Barta at Tech 21 knows his stuff and it shows. Shortfalls: The wall wart can be easily detached or broken (12VDC 150mA) and there's no tuner so you'll need to attach one in the chain or go without. But for portability I don't think there's much that can compete.

All digital hardware craps out if they get to warm ..just like any computer will ..
never had a problem with my Axe FX but plenty of times with computer workstations and servers ...

I'm not saying that was your problem, but it is something to be aware about.. heat will create all kinds of problems

Glad to hear you got it to work again, man that must have been a very nervous moment ..:)
on the bright side you will probably always remember it and laugh about it with some friends over a couple of beers

:)

Back
Top Bottom