Horrible noise issue instrument input

ptgold

Inspired
I have no idea what it is maybe you guys can help me figure this out

- past month as soon as Ive been inserting the guitar cable there is buzzing noise coming through my monitors. Tried different cables, same thing

- Updated the firmware just now to 14.02 and still the buzzing.

- Definitely not the monitors as the noise is also present when I hear through my headphones.

- Tried different guitars...same result

- Also not a light issue (halogen etc.) causing the unwanted noise.

- Ive noticed that the Noise Gate parameter doesn't work like it used to (been changed?) as I have to go all the way down to -10db to get any sort of effect.

Could it be my instrument input causing this? Any advice would help. thanks

ptgold said:
- Ive noticed that the Noise Gate parameter doesn't work like it used to (been changed?) as I have to go all the way down to -10db to get any sort of effect.
What Chris said will solve at least that issue. By the way, the change was mentioned in the release notes.
Have fun with FW 14.02, it is awesome!

EDIT
Have you tried using your Axe-Fx and monitors / headphones elsewhere?

Might not be the solution, but did you change the new Global Gate Offset or whatever to 0 in the Global menu?

Just tried that thanks. It fixes the noise gate issue but Im still having a huge noise buzz. The only remedy is to attenuate a lot with the noise gate but that was never necessary before.

- The noise is lessened if I put my fingers over the strings..i don't know what that means though

- Also noticed the noise goes quiet when I touch a corner of the instrument cable. Tried 3 different cables, reacts the same

Grounding issue of some sort?

Last edited:
Just tried that thanks. It fixes the noise gate issue but Im still having a huge noise buzz. The only remedy is to attenuate a lot with the noise gate but that was never necessary before.

- The noise is lessened if I put my fingers over the strings..i don't know what that means though

It means that you have a grounding fault in your guitar. I bet that one of the wires is loose or has a dry joint.

Or maybe you just have too much gain going on. Could you post the preset?

It means that you have a grounding fault in your guitar. I bet that one of the wires is loose or has a dry joint.

Or maybe you just have too much gain going on. Could you post the preset?

That was my thought at first however

- Im getting the noise with only the instrument cable plugged in, when I touch the end (not the point) of the jack the noise goes silent. I tried this with all three of my instrument cables and same result.

- All presets are doing this...clean and higher gain

Please try it with a different guitar. It might be a hardware problem in the Axe-Fx, but usually not.

That was my thought at first however

- Im getting the noise with only the instrument cable plugged in, when I touch the end (not the point) of the jack the noise goes silent. I tried this with all three of my instrument cables and same result.

- All presets are doing this...clean and higher gain

The cable doing that when it is not plugged in is normal.

ok heres a video of whats happening....you can hear the buzz in the background

Any clues? I know it has to be something simple and stupid. I never had this much noise before...im stumped

Can you check the input levels of your Axe at the utility menu? When only plugging in the cable, it should almost be dead silent.
If it is not, it's your environment. Do you got a Fritz box or similar stuff in your room? Those are notorious for adding a shitload of noise (remember that every cable, every electric guitar is basicly a giant antenna).

However, if putting your finger on the strings or metal parts makes the noise go away, then this is a ground issue.

You already said it's the same with all guitars, so you can already rule that out. Do you have any laptop or PC connected to some part of your gear while being plugged into the same outlet? If so, remove that first. Computers are notorous for causing ground issues.

Btw, if it is a laptop, you can run it on batteries. Running a laptop on DC doesn't have this problem.

The ground between the mainboard and the instrument input is broken. It's probably the jack or the daughter board.

Can you check the input levels of your Axe at the utility menu? When only plugging in the cable, it should almost be dead silent.
If it is not, it's your environment. Do you got a Fritz box or similar stuff in your room? Those are notorious for adding a shitload of noise (remember that every cable, every electric guitar is basicly a giant antenna).

However, if putting your finger on the strings or metal parts makes the noise go away, then this is a ground issue.

You already said it's the same with all guitars, so you can already rule that out. Do you have any laptop or PC connected to some part of your gear while being plugged into the same outlet? If so, remove that first. Computers are notorous for causing ground issues.

Btw, if it is a laptop, you can run it on batteries. Running a laptop on DC doesn't have this problem.

- I checked before if there was some sort of interference (wifi, computer, lights, tv) turned everything off and still the buzz.

- Just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my monitors I plugged in my headphones and same problem with the noise.

- Could it be the power outlet on the wall causing this? Im going to try disconnecting everything and plug in to another room to see if this fixes the issue....will report back

Had the same issue...Hit the Layout button, then page right twice to access the In/Gate tab...turn threshold to about 9o'clock then adjust the Ratio aswell...takes away what I thought were crap cable
issues... excuse me if this has already been posted...G

Had the same issue...Hit the Layout button, then page right twice to access the In/Gate tab...turn threshold to about 9o'clock then adjust the Ratio aswell...takes away what I thought were crap cable
issues... excuse me if this has already been posted...G

I already contacted support but will definitely give this a try...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom