Horrible. Absolutely mortifying playing experience last night.

Bruce Sokolovic

Fractal Fanatic
Just came here to vent a bit. As a precursor just know I’m not “too good” to play anywhere. I’ll play a phone booth so long as my bands minimum is met. I really don’t care and have no ego to speak of when it comes to this shit. I’ve said many times I’m the worlds ok’est guitar player and am just fine with my little spot at the trough.

So……..I had a GREAT gig with the country band I play with in the lobby of the Hard Rock, Atlantic City NJ yesterday afternoon. 1-4 pm played 3 sets, super professional setup no nonsense kinda deal. Everything went and sounded great and a good time was had by all. We even had line dancers going. I love that shit.

Soooo…from AC NJ I had a 3hr drive to CT. to pick up my son and bring him home. He comes once a month for a weekend. Was up there for 8pm had him home for 9. During this time, I started to develop a slight headache.

Stay with me I’m getting to the point.

Sooo….about a month ago my band was asked if we can play a few tunes at a remembrance thing a loosely connected friend who has booked my band in the past was throwing for his recently passed girlfriend. She was a sweetheart. My wife and our bands male singer agreed. I couldn’t do it due to how hectic my day already was.

My wife has some kind of bug and backed out, understandably. In an effort to save face, I stepped in with my bands other singer for 2 songs.

I pull up to the Hilltop Tavern in Lodi, NJ (I think, or rochelle park but it doesn’t matter I’m never going there again). The scene was pretty chaotic. The place was absolutely packed, but packed is maybe 30 people because it’s the size of a postage stamp. I’ve been to and played places like this before, so I set up my board (fractal AX8 and an H9) and proceeded to make my couple connections to the PA. The bartender yelled from behind the bar “don’t put that fucking shit in my PA”!

At that point, I kinda had it. Told my singer I’m packing up and going home. People tour the fucking world with an AX8 but I can’t play some dump in Bergen county. Ok.

I ended up taking a lead out of the board and going into the clean channel of a guitar amp. The house band asked and bent over backwards for me and were all cool guys.

I’ll play a shithole. I’ll play for a little less than what I think I’m worth. I’ll play with bad sound. I’ll make it work. Rudeness? After I was ASKED to be there? That is a bridge too far. I can think of nowhere else worse to be than a shithole like the hilltop tavern on a Friday night. County lockup maybe? The emergency room? I’d even take the ER if it was like a non mobility issue cut that will heal well and takes 10-15 stitches. Give me that instead.

Anyway, this is probably a long read and felt like venting. I swore off social media so…. Y’all are basically it.

Im just amazed that the Hilltop is still there lol. IN all my time I dont think I ever stepped foot in that place, and I used to hang out at pretty much every bar in that area that's now closed.

Im just amazed that the Hilltop is still there lol. IN all my time I dont think I ever stepped foot in that place, and I used to hang out at pretty much every bar in that area that's now closed.
How in the hell he keeps a certificate of occupancy is astounding. The place looks like it should have been condemned 30 years ago. Non grounded outlets god only knows what the wiring looks like.

I once saw sparks fly from a mic when I hit it with the guitar strings at Rivaras in fairlawn, nj. Know why I stopped in on the open mic from time to time? The owner wasn’t an asshole.

People who think they are sound people are the BANE of the music world!

Or just "sound people" in general. ;)

They have become the dictators and unquestioned rulers of the live music experience.

And yeah, how the fuck did that happen? And why are they still allowed to get away with it? :)

Not to excuse rudeness, or make it seem like more than dump it probably is, but I have found you can never show up and expect to run your electric guitar through a PA in smaller places/systems.

As someone who spent many years as sound person, for bands, and doing house sound, there's a**holes on both sides of that, and venue management too.
+1

1) Civility is how we get along
2) IF…there was a concern or ”a priori”, they would have been justified in inspecting just what was being used

But still, this is no excuse for aggressive, bullish behavior.
…and I have a particular distaste for bullies…

Or just "sound people" in general. ;)

They have become the dictators and unquestioned rulers of the live music experience.

And yeah, how the fuck did that happen? And why are they still allowed to get away with it? :)
Ha ha! I'm not aware of that being the case in the cities I play. However, even some of the great sound people, who are really great to work with have boundaries that, once you go sideways with them, the working relationship and experience can go downhill fast!

As a musician, you are essentially a guest on the sound person's stage, and knowing rules of engagement are an absolute must! So many bands don't know how or when to load gear in, do a proper sound check, help the sound person be ready in time for downbeat, etc. Once the music starts, that stage becomes yours- before that you on their time clock! But, if you know what you are doing, are focused and prepared, more often than not, good sound people are going to love you and your band!

If they are assholes, unprofessional or truly hate your music or whatever, forget everything I just said!

Not to excuse rudeness, or make it seem like more than dump it probably is, but I have found you can never show up and expect to run your electric guitar through a PA in smaller places/systems.
I’m sure this was once the case but with an ax8 ? Come on. A 400 dollar half running PA can accommodate this. I can run XLR or 1/4 inch, attenuate the output or whatever.
Was still no excuse to be a jerkoff either way.

Ha ha! I'm not aware of that being the case in the cities I play. However, even some of the great sound people, who are really great to work with have boundaries that, once you go sideways with them, the working relationship and experience can go downhill fast!

As a musician, you are essentially a guest on the sound person's stage, and knowing rules of engagement are an absolute must! So many bands don't know how or when to load gear in, do a proper sound check, help the sound person be ready in time for downbeat, etc. Once the music starts, that stage becomes yours- before that you on their time clock! But, if you know what you are doing, are focused and prepared, more often than not, good sound people are going to love you and your band!

If they are assholes, unprofessional or truly hate your music or whatever, forget everything I just said!
I’m super good at following directions to the letter. There simply weren’t any.

Back
Top Bottom