Hoping to join the ranks...

rmp5s

Inspired
Hi!

I'm going to be picking up an Axe-Fx soon but had a couple quick questions. I figured there'd be no better play to ask than here. The Ultra (or Standard for that matter) can be found much cheaper than the current Axe-FX II. Is the Mk II that much better than the Ultra? What are the main differences? Basically, is it worth the extra money?

If I pick up an Ultra (not really looking for a Standard...should I consider it over the Ultra?), will I be able to update it to the current firmware?

I plan on using it just to record...no gigging or anything. I play mostly hard rock, metal, etc but I bounce around a bit.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!!

I never owned an Ultra, but it is at end of life development wise. The Axe II is still receiving updates, and sounds awesome!

Like many of us here, I have owned both, the Ultra and the II. The II is definitely the one to get. The ability to get current updates AND (a big AND), you can load user or 2nd party Hi res cabs. As the cabs are the key to getting not just one type, but many types of classic great tones.

Last edited:
Like many of us here, I have owned both, the Ultra and the II. The II is definitely the one to get. The ability to get current updates AND (a big AND), you can load user or 2nd party Hi res cabs. As the cabs are the key to getting not just one type, but many types of classic great tones.

Oooooh...so you can't load other people's cabinet impulses AND the Ultra is about to be essentially dead in the water?

Well...that kinda solves that. That sucks, too. I just found this today:

Fractal Audio AXE-FX ULTRA Rack Mount Pre-Amp / Multi-Effects Processor

That's a killer deal AND it's local.

Any other differences or things I should know?

Thank you!!

G'day RMP5S,

If you can, get the MK II. It's a remarkable unit and still received regular updates and support. With the Ultra, what you get is what you will get. Welcome by the way!

Pauly

the ultra will load 3rp party IR's but only room to store 10. the computer edit ability is poor compared to the axe fx II, and yes the ultra is no longer supported. there is no usb connection either. this being said it is still a good unit but not as much machine as the II. you wanting it for recording I would suggest the II, if you were just gonna rock it live in a band situation the ultra still holds its own.

Quite the price difference but I DID find one local...worth the 800 bucks price hike?

MINT FRACTAL AUDIO AXE FX II

What do you guys see the Ultras going for these days? that $1,050 seemed super low to me.

I believe you would have no issues finding Ultra's in that range. Personally I'd see if you could snag a II... you will greatly appreciate USB, updates, and a stable Axe-Edit (and thank yourself later) If you are lucky enough to be close to the CL posting... cash deal, local pickup, without ebay/paypal/shipping fees... would suspect you could shave a chunk off that. Patience will payoff if that one doesn't pan out.

With that said, it's what's affordable to you that counts. The Ultra is still a great unit.

Hey there,

There is nothing wrong with a product at the end of its development. That's actually a good thing! You will be hard-pressed to find a bug on the standard/ultra.

Plus there is a way to convert Axe-FX II IRs (even ultra res) to standard/ultra format (you won't get any benefit of ultra res, obviously). What that means is you can still take advantage of the advances being made in IR capturing. The general standard of IR capturing has come a fair way in the last couple of years.

So much awesome info!! Thank you all! Thanks for the warm welcome, too.

At this point, I'm not as stoked about the Ultra as I was...which is really just kinda funny that the Ultra isn't Ultra-enough. lol Bit of a misnomer on Fractal's part?

Anyway, yes. I am looking to pick one up, cash, in the next few weeks and man...local would be GREATLY preferred. Shipping is such a pain.

It seems like, while the Ultra is a great unit, it's lacking a TON of functionality. I was REALLY looking forward to the preset editing software that's run on the computer as editing stuff on the little screen looks maddening. If the Ultra can't do this, all bets are off, II all day.

But, on the other hand, I could plop down the cash for the Ultra now...maybe use the Ultra for a few months and then step up to the II? Decisions, decisions, right?

Again, great forum. You guys rock.

Even to today's standards the Ultra offers a wealth of features and sounds great, in its own way. Effects are still stellar.
You can use the old Axe-Edit with it.

It's just that the II improves on every aspect.

...really just kinda funny that the Ultra isn't Ultra-enough. lol Bit of a misnomer on Fractal's part?
Nope. There was the Standard, then the Ultra was added. Both were discontinued four years ago. The second-generation Axe-Fx is appropriately called the Axe-Fx II.

I LOVE my ultra,..but i am a guitar player, not a studio guy or cab sim user. Ultra>tube power amp>real cabs = Awesome.

What category of user you fall into should dictate your purchase,studio guy..?.....Axe II would be the wiser choice.

Another multi Axe Fx owner here, started on the Ultra as well. Everyone has covered the end of development portion of the Ultra. It sounded great at Firmware 11, and most Ultra owners had the same question... it is worth it to change? The overwhelming majority have since answered "yes" to the question and I don't recall any saying they went back! Point being that each felt the additional expense was worth it.

Not only does the Axe Fx II sound more realistic due to the further development by FAS, there are more amplifiers/fx/drives modeled since 2012, much more memory space for your cabs and preset creations. Remember that there have also been four versions of the Axe Fx II since the Ultra passed into it's final revision. The was the Axe Fx II, the II Mk II, The II XL, and the current flagship II XL+. Some were hardware only, some hardware and software. Every version saw multiple firmware updates in between. That's a whole lot of road covered since the Ultra saw it's last firmware update.

In short, the Ultra sounds great. I don't think anyone using it would say otherwise. The II sounds better and does more, connects better, is more integrated with its computer interfaces, holds more data, and is an all-around more capable unit than it's predecessor.

Yes, it's worth the money difference. For me, it was even worthwhile to change from an Axe Fx II original version to the XL+. There is no question in my mind the II (any version) is a worthy upgrade from any version of the original Axe Fx.

Tons of epic info. Than you all!!

So, looks like I'm going to hold off a bit and pick up a II. I am a studio guy and I plan on using it exclusively in that setting. Because of that, all the added space for presets, the mentioned connectivity improvements (extremely important as it's going to be my PC's best friend...) and all the other stuff just makes it a no brainer. The last thing I want to do is shell out a grand and then regret not getting the II and wanting to upgrade immediately.

Thanks, everyone!!

if you are near central fl, I would let you give a ultra, a axe II mach II, and a Xl a spin so you could see for yourself.

Plus there is a way to convert Axe-FX II IRs (even ultra res) to standard/ultra format (you won't get any benefit of ultra res, obviously). What that means is you can still take advantage of the advances being made in IR capturing. The general standard of IR capturing has come a fair way in the last couple of years.

Hi there, how is this performed..??, using what tool(s). I have been able to convert older Axe-Fx II IR's to standard/ultra format using a combination of JoJo's sysex converter utility and Axeomatic, but later Axe-Fx II versions (when the IR format changed, let alone Ultra Res versions which came later) will not convert correctly using this method.

I have an Axe-Fx Standard by the way which suits me just fine. (I play at home only, at modest volume levels)

im an ultra user, and I'm still learning new things about this unit. i'll upgrade down the line, but im couldn't be happier. i play in metal bands, and in an afro-rock-latin band, and the ultra covers all of these bases beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom