Hopes somewhat dashed........

Realistically, where would it go from here? Anything less than the III in a floor unit would be a little disappointing.
I wouldn't want a III on the floor because I don't need it. It's overkill for me and many others.

Case in point. The Axe FX III can run 4 PEQ block and 4 GEQ blocks simultaneously each with 4 channels. That's a whole lot of EQ in one preset. If this was cut down to 2 PEQ and 2 GEQ blocks with 4 channels each that would be half the Axe FX III's power but 4 times the power of the AX-8 which can run 2 PEQ and 2 GEQ blocks but no XY or channel switching.

I imagine that most of us (AX-8 owners) would be perfectly happy half the power of the power of the Axe FX III and double the power the AX-8.

Reactions: Ole
Seeing how well thought out and deep the current AX8 is I have no desire to see a newer, possibly more tweakable version regardless of size come to market soon.
Seriously, all the guys looking for a new version can not have mastered the in/outs of the AX8 nevermind having total command of it's wealth of amps, FX and IRs. Go practice or create more scenes.
If you have mastered the AX8 you should be on the road to mastering your instrument rather than complaining you didn't get a post NAMM G.A.S. bomb from FAS.

Please explain how one is able to “master” limitations with the Ax8 like only being able to run one amp model at a time if you like running dual amp rigs ?

Furthermore, who says you have to be an amazing musician to want a more advanced guitar processor ? Can’t one be a crappy guitar player but enjoy other aspects of the hobby?

I’m an overweight cyclist who doesn’t race in the pro peloton but I still enjoy owning a nice carbon fiber racing bike, just as I own more guitars than I probably need, and I’ll likely never in my lifetime become half as good as tons of other guitarist, but so what ?

FAS didn’t make be auditon to buy my gear, all they cared about was if my credit card matched my shipping address.

That is the nice thing about hobbies, your free to suck at them and that is fine as long as you enjoy doing it.

I wouldn't want a III on the floor because I don't need it. It's overkill for me and many others.

Case in point. The Axe FX III can run 4 PEQ block and 4 GEQ blocks simultaneously each with 4 channels. That's a whole lot of EQ in one preset. If this was cut down to 2 PEQ and 2 GEQ blocks with 4 channels each that would be half the Axe FX III's power but 4 times the power of the AX-8 which can run 2 PEQ and 2 GEQ blocks but no XY or channel switching.

I imagine that most of us (AX-8 owners) would be perfectly happy half the power of the power of the Axe FX III and double the power the AX-8.
Good points. Ares capable and some features like you mentioned and maybe two Amp blocks, etc. would be a significant step up without going full III.

I'm pretty keen to see how the AX8 evolves. Keen not to see it get any smaller (my feet aren't any smaller). Love for it to continue to have tactile knobs and switches. Nothing wrong with that. A headphone out for convenience and a place to get lost in. New screen (doesn't have to be touch sensitive). Tones wise I'm sure it will maintain the tradition. Effects wise...just keep pushing the boundaries. Would love to rock just an AX8. No more pedals.

I'm pretty keen to see how the AX8 evolves. Keen not to see it get any smaller (my feet aren't any smaller). Love for it to continue to have tactile knobs and switches. Nothing wrong with that. A headphone out for convenience and a place to get lost in. New screen (doesn't have to be touch sensitive). Tones wise I'm sure it will maintain the tradition. Effects wise...just keep pushing the boundaries. Would love to rock just an AX8. No more pedals.
I could not have said it any better myself.... This too is my ideal wishlist!

If one keystone is that powerful, one DSP in an FC 6 package would s l a y

Thats what i think they may do
One Keystone and mix it with maybe a Sharc that still available or use same accelerator for the cab block

Basically an FC6 chassis
With the layouts function
The Keystone handling the GUI
And Amp modelling

You wont see an announcement until
The Axe2 last update is out
And then i would guess a port to
AX8 in some form if final firmware

But thats my guess

Somewhere in Q2

A thought on the ‘will they/won’t they’ question:

A company that is unquestionably a market leader ….who have built a reputation on continuously raising the bar …… with a built-in pool of buyers just waiting to throw their money at Fractal….
….. Why WOULDN’T they?

I just can’t picture a ‘meeting of the minds’ - where the question comes up – and the response is –
“Nah ….. our floorboards are good enough. Meeting adjourned.”

Nope ….Just don’t see it.

+1 for me on this. The III was just too much for me - so I switched to the AX8. But I DO miss some of the III's options. I can live very happily with the AX8 …… But I'd gladly pay $2k+ for the rig Matt_B_77 describes.

I think I remember reading on the forum somewhere that FAS intentionally designed the AX8 with sharcs instead of tiger sharcs because they didn’t require a fan and would avoid ingesting church floor dust, beer, mosh pit debris, etc. I think that makes a lot of sense and if true, I’m thinking any new offering would also be a fanless design.

Of course, if it does have a fan someone could come up with an aftermarket accessory to fit the new floor units with a snorkel like those 4x4s that can go into water up to their sun visors.

I decided to have some fun and plot out what the block capabilities of an AX-8 II might be compared to the Axe FX III and the AX-8.

AX-8 II Block Capabilities

When looking at this list please bear in mind a couple of caveats:
1) The AX-8 II would be aimed at performance and not recording.
2) Some blocks would have 2 channels and some would have 4, just like the Axe FX III but which ones would have 2 or 4 I didn't delve into.

Seeing how well thought out and deep the current AX8 is I have no desire to see a newer, possibly more tweakable version regardless of size come to market soon.
Seriously, all the guys looking for a new version can not have mastered the in/outs of the AX8 nevermind having total command of it's wealth of amps, FX and IRs. Go practice or create more scenes.
If you have mastered the AX8 you should be on the road to mastering your instrument rather than complaining you didn't get a post NAMM G.A.S. bomb from FAS.

I agree with most of this but I didn't get an AX8 due to the interface. I think they missed with not including a mini display for the footswitches ala FC's or Helix. That's all the product upgrade I want.

I agree with most of this but I didn't get an AX8 due to the interface. I think they missed with not including a mini display for the footswitches ala FC's or Helix. That's all the product upgrade I want.
They hadn't done the mini-display R&D when the AX8 was released. It's done now (FCs) and I assume they'd want to hear customer feedback on the FCs before building the next-gen AX...

Funny enough for me scribble strips
Woukd not be a factor
If it was just the led switches and a performamce sceeen like HelixLT i would be happy

That i could see
I think some peoples expectations are a little high
They are not going to give away
And axe3 and integrated FC
There will be some limitations
For sure like the current AX8
Sure there will be limitations compared to the axe fx III, but they should also look at the competition and, from what I've read these years on various forums, the main "deal-breakers" that have made some people prefer the Helix over the ax8 were the lack of an integrated audio interface, the headphone jack and a not so friendly UI.

Scribble strips are not important for me but, since they basically became a standard in this type of products, I bet they'll be included too, even if this means 1 or 2 bucks more in the final price.

Back
Top Bottom