Hopes somewhat dashed........

flarocks

Seeing how NAMM has come and gone, and Cliff has released new firmware for the AXE II, I am thinking that a new AX format product may be a bit father off than we all had hoped. I'm definitely holding out for a new version no matter how long it takes but I like EVERYONE else was hoping and wishing it would be real soon. None the less Fractal and Cliff still rock!!!!!!

Seeing how NAMM has come and gone, and Cliff has released new firmware for the AXE II, I am thinking that a new AX format product may be a bit father off than we all had hoped. I'm definitely holding out for a new version no matter how long it takes but I like EVERYONE else was hoping and wishing it would be real soon. None the less Fractal and Cliff still rock!!!!!!
Fractal is not like Line 6 which pumps out a new product every 6 months. I would not expect a new AX8 model for a year or two

Reactions: Ole
Also, if an updated Ax8 was due tomorrow, today we would all know.... nothing. Anyone who would know would have signed a NDA and couldn't tell. So you just can't make decisions based on rumours or guesses or you'll never buy anything. The Ax8 is great now and it'll be great whenever an update is released.

Fractal is not like Line 6 which pumps out a new product every 6 months. I would not expect a new AX8 model for a year or two
Never would I compare the two! But if you think about it Line 6 puts out a 'series' of products which are all the same tech and just different format (ie Helix, Helix LT, Helix stomp.) There is no innovation in any new release until they come out with the next big thing. I do not see Fractal as the same type of company. As technology changes, Cliff and company are all over releasing hardware improved versions and updates as soon as is feasible. My case in point, STD to ULTRA, then II to II+ to MARK II+, from FX to FX MARK II..... you get my point. It is the same to the extreme with software and firmware updates, always something new as soon as can be accomplished. I believe that now the AXE III is out, and that is the gold standard, that a floor based version is now in the pipe if not close to completion. It's just the way it's always seemed to me. I am not trying to start an argument or troll for info, just wishfully hope that a new III based floor unit hits soon!!!!!!!!

I'm still expecting it/them, there have been too many hints in the last months to not be close to the announcement.
Probably it's just been postponed for some reason, maybe they want to finish the FC waitlist before having to deal with another waitlist, or maybe the shortage of components is causing delays with the production.
We just don't know and the best we can do is to hope good news will come "soon".

They are just adding the last bits to the LB-1, they had to wait for Boss to come out with theirs so they can 1 up them. Next is the floor AFX3... AX10??

AX-12 :) FC-12 with stripped down Axe FX III inside of it or Cliff will blow us away and make it less stripped down then the AX-8 compared to the Axe FX II.

While very cool, I could see a lot of people not liking the price of such a beast.

I think many people want Axe III power, in a Ax8 sized (or smaller) package, and they want it for $1099. All three of which are unlikely in one unit.

Personally, if there was a FC12 sized unit, housing a Axe III professor and adding the I/o on the back and a color screen I’d happily pay $2999 for such a product. I’m sure lots would, but there would also be tons of really pissed folks who don’t want to pay that type of money.

While very cool, I could see a lot of people not liking the price of such a beast. I think many people want Axe III power, in a Ax8 sized (or smaller) package, and they want it for $1099. All three of which are unlikely in one unit.
I feel the market could tolerate $1300-$1500 if it addresses the major shortcomings of the AX-8 (e.g. USB audio, more seamless switching (channels and/more 2 amp and cab blocks), color screen).
Personally, if there was a FC12 sized unit, housing a Axe III professor and adding the I/o on the back and a color screen I’d happily pay $2999 for such a product. I’m sure lots would, but there would also be tons of really pissed folks who don’t want to pay that type of money.
I would pay that much for all of that but I don't need all the power the Axe FX III. I've personally been through that loop with the Axe FX II XL+ vs. the AX-8.

Seeing how well thought out and deep the current AX8 is I have no desire to see a newer, possibly more tweakable version regardless of size come to market soon.
Seriously, all the guys looking for a new version can not have mastered the in/outs of the AX8 nevermind having total command of it's wealth of amps, FX and IRs. Go practice or create more scenes.
If you have mastered the AX8 you should be on the road to mastering your instrument rather than complaining you didn't get a post NAMM G.A.S. bomb from FAS.

wasn't the problem with two chips in the ax8 heat? The FC 12 case is huge, I bet they fit two in there without a fan. I'd pay boatloads for a floor unit with the kind of UI the 3 has now, color screen and lots of knobs, use it just for amps and run it in the loop of the III.

I feel the market could tolerate $1300-$1500 if it addresses the major shortcomings of the AX-8 (e.g. USB audio, more seamless switching (channels and/more 2 amp and cab blocks), color screen).
I Paid $1399.95 for mine 4/27/2016. And I was on a waitlist...that is a good price point for me. I would love an AX8 with (Keystone processors inside)---> Cliff said: "These Keystone processors chew through data like a hot chainsaw through a sorority girl. The Axe-Fx III is a beast. I don't think people realize how powerful it is. It has the equivalent power of 8 SHARC chips, at least. And that's just the DSP. The memory bus is 3-4 times faster than other stuff."

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my AX8!!!! But I would definitely love the mini-LCD screens and footswitch page function in an AX8 form factor.

IIRC, the issue was having the exact same chips from the Axe FX in the AX-8. The AX-8 still have 2 dedicated processors (1 for amps and 1 for effects) - they're just not as powerful as the Axe FX.
IIRC, we get two Sharc (not TigerSHARC) in the AX8. One for amp modeling and one for effects.

Realistically, where would it go from here? Anything less than the III in a floor unit would be a little disappointing. Packing the power of the III into a floor unit would be sweet, but now you're looking at a III plus the equivalent of an FC-8 (my guess is a 6 button AX10 would not be everyone's desire). Might be cheaper than buying a III plus an FC-12, but not likely cheaper than a III plus a FC-6. So you would imagine such a unit would be at least $2800. The fact that I don't NEED it never really stopped me before when it came to gear but I'm curious how many of you would pull the trigger at, let's say $3,000.00?

Back
Top Bottom