hope this is helpful

dgzieg

Inspired
Hi, this is actually about the first problem I've had with my AxeFX II that I didn't cause. I mean, any other issue I had was something I was doing/had done improperly. So just now I fired up my AFII, it came up on preset 6 (last one I had used). I switched to preset 5 (DoubleVerb) and got persistent scratchy, crackly sound. Checked the CPU level, 81%. Switched to another preset (fine), back to 5, scratchy, crackly. Imported preset 5 from a back up about two weeks ago. Scratchy, crackly. Changed the amp in preset 5 to whateve was next in the amp list, changed back and problem solved. So it doesn't seem like the preset was corrupt, but the amp choice seemed to be. I haven't read all the other theads where people had experienced similar issues, because I never had them, but hopefully this provides some useful troubleshooting information to the Powers That Be (Bless Them). If this behavior has been noted and solved before, and I'm the last one to find out, D'Oh!

That means an amp parameter was set to a "scratchy crackly" value. For example, if you set Power Tube Bias to zero you can get a lot of crossover distortion (just like a real amp). There are other parameters that can cause undesirable distortion when set to extremes. When you select a different amp model then reselect the original amp model the firmware calls setAmpDefaults() which sets many of the parameters to default values for that model including Power Tube Bias and many others.

This is why "resetting the amp model by deselecting and then reselecting the desired model" is mentioned in the release notes.

hope this is useful

That means an amp parameter was set to a "scratchy crackly" value. For example, if you set Power Tube Bias to zero you can get a lot of crossover distortion (just like a real amp). There are other parameters that can cause undesirable distortion when set to extremes. When you select a different amp model then reselect the original amp model the firmware calls setAmpDefaults() which sets many of the parameters to default values for that model including Power Tube Bias and many others.

This is why "resetting the amp model by deselecting and then reselecting the desired model" is mentioned in the release notes.

Hi, thrilled to get a response from the Man himself (my second time, for those of you keeping score). I guess it's possible I had set a parameter to something whacky (inadvertently), because this is my go-to clean patch. Perhaps it was already set wrong when I created the backup. What threw me was that this didn't sound like any normal distortion, it was just like the CPU overload sound. Thanks for clearing that up, appreciate all that all of you do.

Back
Top Bottom