Hope This Helps: New Monitors

CudBucket

Inspired
I've never been thrilled with the sound of the Axe going straight to near field monitors. For me, high-gain patches have just not been great. I've been using first generation M-Audio BX5a speakers. I just ordered a pair of KRK Rokit 5 G2s. I'm not expecting miracles but I already upgraded my interface from the M-Audio 2496 (also an early one) to the Focusrite Saffire PRO 24. And while I do think that helped, my Grado SR-60 headphones still sound better than the M-Audio monitors. We'll see when they get here.

I dig the tones with my Rockit 5's G1. I think you'll enjoy the Rockit's. I'm not great at dialing in High Gain tones myself, so i can't state the quality of them, but I've heard some very good recordings through my monitors and they sounded FANTASTIC.....which taught me it was the golfer, not the clubs that was the problem..haha

Monitor placement is also a big variable. On my desk the FX sounded way too bassey. I bought some speaker stands and put them at a right angle to the desk and it sounded much better.

I have the BX5a ,I think the sound Is good ,But i have to add a filter ,peaking,boost the mids abit and take some bass out with a graphic eq, because there is too much bass

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anybody here but I have to say this.

You should have kept the Audiophile 2490 (nothing wrong with it) and put the money into better monitors.
5".... $150/pair...... really? how good can that be?

I would go for an 8", it doesn't have to be a $3K Genelec,
it can even be an inexpensive passive one that at least has a fighting chance.

;)

My issue with the high-gain patches through the monitors is the fizz. I know going direct is "different" than going through an amp can real cab but this isn't a case of the sound being different. It's worse. I know it can be done because I hear the clips and vids. If my Axe didn't sound good through the amp and cab, I'd have thought something was wrong with it because of the quality out my M-Audio cabs. I've tried everything too. XLR, 1/4", SPDIF. I should have the KRKs soon and am looking forward to them.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anybody here but I have to say this.

You should have kept the Audiophile 2490 (nothing wrong with it) and put the money into better monitors.
5".... $150/pair...... really? how good can that be?

I would go for an 8", it doesn't have to be a $3K Genelec,
it can even be an inexpensive passive one that at least has a fighting chance.

;)

Well, the Focusrite is clearly a better interface so I'm happy to have it. I haven't really read alot of praise about the BX5a's with the Axe so I'm willing to try something else. There are alot of folks using $300/pair monitors and getting good results. I just want to be one of them.

I'm new to studio monitors, but I love the sound of my Rokit 5's except for the fizz like you are referring to Dave. There's got to be a way to dial it out...

Back
Top Bottom