Hooking up external preamp

No “Axe fx doesn’t need it” answers please. I have a few questions I need some help with.

I’ve searched the forums and I haven’t really found many clear answers (Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough). I’m still super new to connections and routing etc.

1. I used to record with this guy that had a Universal Audio preamp and he would run my Axe Fx through it, I liked the extra option of having it. If I was to get an external preamp would I have to run from the balanced out from the axe > Line input on the back of the preamp > Output from the preamp into line in on my interface?

2. Also I am using a small p.a speaker with the axe. If I had a preamp would I be able to go Axe>Preamp>Speaker? Or do I need something else to make that work?

3. Are there any other problems that could arise if this was done incorrectly? Blowing something for example.

I’ve attached a photo of the back of the preamp unit I’ve been looking to purchase. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6F127133-4943-417F-9396-9A26D53CC7FB.jpeg
    6F127133-4943-417F-9396-9A26D53CC7FB.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 17
Just as you said. Plug the Axe’s output into the pre’s line in, then into the interface.

I assume the speaker is powered? If so, just plug your preamp output into it.

Back
Top Bottom