Homemade 9V Power Out for pedals on FM3

Wow, very cool idea (and execution).
Also loved the colored nuts idea. Anyone have a link for purchasing?

I’m actually interested in this warranty-safe method rather than the OP, can you share info on the type of regulator you used?
As am I. And I wouldn't mind a little "how-to" either. Looking to power a Line6 G30 receiver.

(And unrelated...does anyone know of that receiver fits under a temple audio Duo 17?)

Any one use the 9volt fastlink out put pin instead of 12volt pin ? Would negate the regulator problem. Maybe the 9volts I measured , is a data link ..Think I will leave that pin alone.:cool:

I need 75ma 9V DC (EHX 720 Looper pedal) - can i use the FASLink output for that? @gdgross You did that? Our, only 12V?
That would blow my mind, because i always thought i would need an additional power supply for this ONE pedal ...
I can solder - a really simple how-to/manual would be totally awesome!

Last edited:
I’m actually interested in this warranty-safe method rather than the OP, can you share info on the type of regulator you used?
I've used this type of regulator in other projects, they do the job pretty well. Sorry I can't post links here, just search "LM2596 Step Down Module DC 3V-40V" on ebay.

Is it as simple as finding the 'live' and 'neutral' pins for the Faslink. Connect those to + and - (in) , and connecting a barrel pin to the other side (out). With center to -? (After adjusting output voltage)

Nice!

(I built a 9V regulator into an XLR connector, stealing 12V from the FASlink for my misi baby :-D. Wasn't brave enough to open the FM3 myself, but looks like your solution that might be a little cleaner in the long run.
Sound idea, any possibility to communicate more about this ?

.... I built a 9V regulator into an XLR connector, stealing 12V from the FASlink .....

Sound idea, any possibility to communicate more about this ?

I would think he used something like a LM7809 or equivalent.
https://components101.com/regulators/7809-voltage-regulator-pinout-datasheet-specifications

This simple circuit should easily fit inside the 'shell' of an XLR connector.

L7809 as +9V Voltage Regulator
This is a typical application circuit of the 7809 IC. We just need two capacitors of value 0.33uf and 0.1uf to get this IC working. The input capacitor 0.33uF is a ceramic capacitor that deals with the input inductance problem and the output capacitor 0.1uF is also a ceramic capacitor that adds to the stability of the circuit. These capacitors should be placed close to the terminals for them to work effectively. Also, they should be of a ceramic type, since ceramic capacitors are faster than electrolytic.

1609632191915.png

Man - this discussion brings back memories from 15 years ago when I built a simple circuit with a diode bridge rectifier and a LM7809 and some caps to 'steal' 9V DC from a 24VAC supply from my Boss GT8 and use it to power a few pedals. It worked great.

I'll let the guitar playing electronics engineers chime in.

Last edited:
I love this thread .. Electrician by trade but have done my share of electronic modifications over the years . You have definitely sparked my interest .

I used a DC-DC 3-40V LM2596 Adjustable Step-Down Power Supply Module Voltage Regulator which I tapped into the FM3's 15V Power supply output wires, then adjusted the voltage to 9V. Installed the board on an existing brass standoff inside FM3 using isolated washer. and connected to a DC Power Supply Jack Socket Female Panel Mount Connector 5.5X2.1mm - wired centre negative (accepts standard Boss pedal jack)

The FM3 Power Supply has enough overhead power to handle this. The FM3 Uses less than 15W, I think. The FM3 Power Supply is rated at 40W.

This DC-DC board can reliably handle up to 2A (it's rated at 3A max - not recommended!) My recommendation is 500mA @9V, It is "stealing" approximately 4.5W from FM3 which I think is a reasonable amount to keep the FM3 and the DC-DC board happy.

View attachment 72158

View attachment 72159
This is a great mod... thanks for sharing. Do you have another photo that shows how you tapped the internal power supply ? Thanks

I would think he used something like a LM7809 or equivalent.
https://components101.com/regulators/7809-voltage-regulator-pinout-datasheet-specifications

This simple circuit should easily fit inside the 'shell' of an XLR connector.

L7809 as +9V Voltage Regulator
This is a typical application circuit of the 7809 IC. We just need two capacitors of value 0.33uf and 0.1uf to get this IC working. The input capacitor 0.33uF is a ceramic capacitor that deals with the input inductance problem and the output capacitor 0.1uF is also a ceramic capacitor that adds to the stability of the circuit. These capacitors should be placed close to the terminals for them to work effectively. Also, they should be of a ceramic type, since ceramic capacitors are faster than electrolytic.

View attachment 76969

Man - this discussion brings back memories from 15 years ago when I built a simple circuit with a diode bridge rectifier and a LM7809 and some caps to 'steal' 9V DC from a 24VAC supply from my Boss GT8 and use it to power a few pedals. It worked great.

I'll let the guitar playing electronics engineers chime in.

Or use this one?
Amazon product ASIN B083RDCPYB
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 2.46.21 AM.png

Here's a crazy idea, once used a old trick to lower voltage. Silicon diodes , by their nature ,will drop the voltage going thru them by .7 volts . So about 4 or 5 diodes or so in series should do it for low current pedals. surface mount diodes are cheap and small ,but radio shack old fashion one's should also work.. Found this on internet about the subject . I Ran a 9 volt cheap boom box with this trick years ago. It worked. P.S. go half way down the website page. https://itstillworks.com/make-very-large-electromagnet-7592391.html

Last edited:
Interesting idea! probably should have included a disclaimer though, something to the effect of MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Hence the phrase "crazy idea" , only a impulsive guy, in a good way (me), would do any of this , any of these mods. External power supplies, for your pedals , are not hard to add to you rig . Maybe when my warranty expires. ;)

Hence the phrase "crazy idea" , only a impulsive guy, in a good way (me), would do any of this , any of these mods. External power supplies, for your pedals , are not hard to add to you rig . Maybe when my warranty expires. ;)

I only have one additional pedal on my board - an additional power supply only for one single pedal is really annoying ...

Back
Top Bottom