Homebrew MIDI Pedal with knobs

Chris Hurley

Power User
I've built two MIDI pedals so far- the first one was larger and handled IA/PC messages. The second one was smaller to fit in my gig bag and handled IA/PC and also the tuner, looper and an expression pedal.

I've had an extra microcontroller board for a while and I'm starting to think about making a third board. The Arduino Mega has a bunch of analog inputs which can be used to sample expression pedals or potentiometers. In addition to a few expression inputs, I'm thinking about having a row of pots that could be used for special purposes. One special purpose would be to send CC messages to control the gain, hi/low EQ by using filter blocks, since "gain" can be assigned to a controller. If I built my patches with these blocks in a standard fashion, this could work as a global amp EQ (for example) that could be quickly tweaked on the fly. Need to globally clean up or dirty up? Just twist the knob. Need to roll off some highs real quick? You get the idea. A switch by the row could allow you to double the duty on the pots but I think there is a limit to controllers you can use and would have to resort to sending sysex messages instead (yuck)

I might instead build it into a 1U chassis and make it rack mounted but I'd either have to build a surge protector or a power amp into it at the same time since my rack is already full. :) I've got a 50x2 class-D amp board that would probably fit inside a 1U if the power supply remained external.

Anybody done any homebrew MIDI stuff lately?

I'm half way through updating my controller to work with the Axefx2 (used to have an Ultra):

It has a bunch of knobs just like you're planning that work via the analog inputs on the micro that I use. (Also 2 expression pedal inputs)

The potentiometers do work, however I found that I need to average a number of reads to get a stable enough value to use. They are pretty noisy inputs.

In my system I have a switch to change the knobs to gain/bass/mid/treble/presence/master for Amp1 and Amp2. The default is Extern1 to Extern8.

My next gen will use encoders and LED rings so that I can "set" the position and well as read the current value:

led-rings.jpg

These are the bare PCB's with RGB led's installed. The encoder goes through the middle hole. I designed them to fit into a 1U rack space, with 8 knobs across the front.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom