Home setup questions...

RickTN

Inspired
This is what I want to happen:

INPUT
1. L & R out of AXE into possibly an desktop Audio Interface (such as a Focusrite 6i6 or similar)...
2. USB out of desktop computer into Audio Interface....

OUTPUT
1. L & R out of Audio Interface to my L & R powered monitors
2. Headphones out of Audio Interface

What I Want
The ability to get AXE sound...computer sound....or mix of the two to headphones only or monitors only

Am I thinking correctly acquiring and using an Audio Interface?..or do I need something different? ...not ready to get into actual digital recording software yet...........

If you are only playing and recording the axe fx, leave out the interface and turn the monitors off when using head phones. usb to axe fx. out 1 to monitors.

If you are only playing and recording the axe fx, leave out the interface and turn the monitors off when using head phones. usb to axe fx. out 1 to monitors.

That's not what I want.......and no need to get up and go physically turn of monitors when I don't need them....

right now I have Speakers out of Output 2 which is echoed from Output 1........so Output level 1 controls headphones and Output 2 controls speakers.....this works fine except for combining in backing tracks from computer thru the USB into the AXE for playing along....just doesn't work correctly......that's why I'm wanting to run Outputs from AXE and Computer into 1 device that will allow me to manipulate Outputs as I want....

Yup. It should work. Most interfaces are like a mixer and most have a balance knob of Live input vs computer playback.

I'm not sure why you're unsure it wouldn't work? Most if not all interfaces work exactly how you described, unless I'm misinterpreting something.

Thanks Chris.....I wasn't certain it would work because I've never had one or been around one. All this is new to me. I just buy one toy and it leads me to thinking about what I need to use it better and I buy another toy and it goes on and on.....I sort of just figured out that an Audio Interface might do what I want by reading about this stuff........but I like to ask questions before I buy certain things if I've never used them.........sometimes my mind doesn't lead me down the right trail and I REALLY waste money......LOL

I don't know much about interfaces but that's pretty easy to accomplish with a Saffire Pro 40 which is what I have but I'm sure many others also feature independent level control of headphone and monitor mixes.

Thanks Chris.....I wasn't certain it would work because I've never had one or been around one. All this is new to me. I just buy one toy and it leads me to thinking about what I need to use it better and I buy another toy and it goes on and on.....I sort of just figured out that an Audio Interface might do what I want by reading about this stuff........but I like to ask questions before I buy certain things if I've never used them.........sometimes my mind doesn't lead me down the right trail and I REALLY waste money......LOL

Definitely ask questions :) I was just wondering if anything led you to believe otherwise :)

Just wanted to throw that possibility in because the talk was just about audio interfaces:

How about a small 4 channel mixer in pocket format? More routing options and faders instead of knobs. Always a pro. They mostly don't offer the USB link for recording, but with the Axe as a soundcard, why would you want that anyway?

I have an M-Audio interface that does exactly that...I could possibly sell it to you. My cousin was supposed to buy it from me but he's been skimping on paying me.

You wanna tell me that Macs don't have a volume control in the OS?
I don't own a mac, but that seems just dumb, even for apple standards.
There is a volume control typically. But the way the Axe connects (and some other audio products), the computer volume is set to Max and can't be adjusted. So you have to adjust individual programs like iTunes or your DAW to balance. The USB return volume control added in 18.xx helps, but is not intended as a real-time adjustment.

It's just how the drivers work and isn't isolated to the Axe. Axe USB works in a pinch, but i typically use an interface or mixer when I'm serious.

OK...got my Focusrite 6i6 Audio Interface in and hooked up. Works just like what I needed. USB out of my PC into the Focusrite.....and L & R out of the AXE Output 2 into the Focusrite. Out of the Focusrite to my L & R powered monitors. 2 headphones outs on the Focusrite also that can be mixed with seperate audio mixes with the PC software that comes with the Focusrite I'm not using it like that right now as I don't need 2 different mixes....I just have 2 different headphones hooked up....my good headphones for using the AXE and earbuds for simply listening to a new report from PC. With this setup I can have AXE and PC out of either my monitors and/or my headphones. Headphone volume is adjustable with their own volume control on Focusrite and overall volume adjustable from Focusrite with big main Vol control. I can listen to backing tracks and play along either with headphones or monitors........and the monitors are my computer speakers now (or use earbuds or headphones).....just couldn't ask to have it work any better than this...for me anyway..........it also has 2 more inputs for instrument or microphone..and 2 more outputs for another set of speakers if needed......can control it all from this unit........

Back
Top Bottom