Home recording with my current setup

Hello,

I have always found this website to give very helpful and unbiased advice when ever I've read threads so thought I would ask here and see. I realise similar questions have been asked before but the only ones I can find were a couple of years ago and we all know how quickly technology advances in music.

Sorry if this is in the wrong area wasn't sure where to post it.

Anyway...

I am looking to start up a home studio and record some songs. I have the studio monitors, audio interface etc all sorted.

What I need advice on is I currently have a Axe Fx standard, a Peavy 5150 head, Blackstar 100 series one head and a Mesa Boogie Express combo and quite a lot of pedals that I am a fan of.

1. I think I'm going to upgrade to the Axe Fx 2 as I really like the standard and I've read at this point the 2 is much more advanced. I am gonna look for a cheaper second hand one. Is it worth paying a couple of hundred extra for the XL?

2. The room is far too small and being a terrace there's no way I can mic up a cab to record so if I'm getting a Axe Fx 2 is it worth also getting a cab sim to use my amps/pedals with? Do you think I'm gonna be able to achieve sounds better/different I couldn't get from just having the Axe Fx?

f I did this how would it work with the the combo? Would the sound still come out of the speaker meaning I couldn't really crank the volume even with an amp sim?

3. While I've loved the standard I really haven't scratched the surface of what it is capable of. I couldn't get Axe Edit to work and I don't enjoy using the editor, I'm a really big fan of Radiohead and some of the crazier sounds and effects they come up with. Is the Axe Fx capable of those sort of sounds of am I better off using my own pedals for that aspect of recording? I'm not trying to mimic there exact sound just want to know if you can do some of the crazier stuff with it, can't really find any demos showing that side of things?

4. This ones probably a little daft but is there a way to record acoustic guitar with this set up or would i need to purchase a mic for that?

I have plenty more questions regarding recording but I figure I asked more than enough and if I can get at least get my guitar set up sorted that's a good start.

Thanks in advance,
Sam.

1. If you're going to spend for it, I'd say go with the XL+
2. others can answer this one better than me...
3. You can definitely do some crazy stuff with the effects. Search for simeon's posts/threads with a bunch of wacky stuff ;-) There are also a number of crazy ones in the factory presets that you can use or tweak.
4. No, you still would need a mic. Or some kind of pickup you can install in the sound hole, inside the body, under the bridge etc.

2. The axe fx already comes with hundreds of cab sims in it. A cab sim is not a physical thing, it's basically an effect block in the axe fx that colors your sound to mimic a real guitar cabinet. So I think you're a little confused (which is OK don't worry) since a cab sim is not something that helps you use your real amps and effects in conjunction with the axe fx.

I think what your asking is really just how to record quietly, and how to use your real amps/pedals with the axe fx. To record quietly you'll just need either a good pair of headphones or studio monitors or both. If you want to use the axe fx for effects only, but use your real amps for the amp tone then you should look up the four cable method (4CM). If you're using a real amp, then you will not want an amp block in your axe fx patch. Similarly, if you plug the axe fx into a real cab then you turn off cab modeling or just don't use a cab block. I don't think your old pedals or amps will get you any different sounds that you can't get within the axe fx.

1. If you are asking this question then no.
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes, if your acoustic has a pickup. If not, piezo pickups are very cheap by fishman and sound excellent with the axe fx.

For #2, sounds like you don't want to give up your amps and pedals but want a way to record them quietly. I was in the same boat as you. I have multiple Marshall and Mesa heads and a nice pedal board. I wanted to record quietly due to having younger children. I invested in a Two Notes Torpedo Live loadbox/cab simulator. That setup sounded great. Then I started hearing demos from Rocco or Mark Day of the Axe Fx II and decided to try one and do some comparisons.

I recorded my Marshall JCM800 head into the Torpedo Live with a Marshall 4x12 impulse. I then used the JCM800 on the Axe Fx (same amp settings) with the same impulse response. When I compared the two tracks I recorded I liked the Axe Fx track better. I stopped using the amps and continued to use the Axe Fx. For me, the Axe just has so much more flexibility with the 200+ amps and multiple cab options. It's a no brainer to me. I was still able to record in quiet and my tracks sound great.

For the cost of 1 amp, you can get an Axe Fx which has 200+ amps.

Just my 02.

The things you should do:

1. Get an Axe-FX II (XL or XL+ if you can). Read the manual back to front. At least twice.

2. Install Axe Edit. If it's not working for you, then ask here, or contact fractal support. Programming the Axe without it is painful, and you definitely want to be able to program your own sounds.

3. Spend some time dialling in an amp/cab combination that suits your style. Some of the presets that come with the Axe-FX 2 are a good place to start. There are some other members here who sell presets to suit a range of styles - something to consider if you're having trouble getting a good sound. The latest firmwares are really good in terms of being able to get a good sound quickly.

4. Add some effects. Play around with routing options in Axe-edit. Waste days of your time. Regret nothing.

5. Try doing some recording with the Axe-FX alone (no external guitar amplifier or cabinet). You might be surprised just how good it is.

6. Realise just how good the Axe-FX is, and sell all the rest of your gear. ;)

I'm in a similar situation to you (I live with housemates, can't crank a tube amp), and getting an Axe-FX was the best musical purchase I have ever made. Period. I play a whole lot more guitar than I ever used to, and have sold (almost) all of my amplifiers and effects pedals because they just don't get used. I've still got a fuzz pedal that I haven't sold yet, but that's it. Recording is a breeze - there is no need to mic a cab, it's just Axe-FX into the PC.

I think the question about acoustic guitar has been answered, but just to reiterate: If it has an internal pickup/mic and preamp, then yes, you can just plug straight into the Axe-FX. If not, then you need a mic.

Thank you for the advice everyone. Okay I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get a Axe Fx 2 and see how I get on with it first.

As some of you have pointed out I am having a little bit of trouble giving up the amps and pedals I've acquired over the years and not using them at all for my recordings and instead just using one box to do it all haha. I will keep them for now and see how I get on with the Axe Fx first and decide what to do from there.

One more question, I seem to be getting mixed answers reading about this online. If I wanted to say use my timeline delay or another pedal I own can I use it with the Axe Fx? Seem people saying it works fine others saying you can but it sounds terrible using your own effects? Just wondered if anyone had any experience doing that?

My acoustic is an electro acoustic but no pick up so I'll have to look into that, you can still achieve a nice acoustic sound doing it that way rather micing it up? That would be great if that was the case!

" The axe fx already comes with hundreds of cab sims in it. A cab sim is not a physical thing, it's basically an effect block in the axe fx that colors your sound to mimic a real guitar cabinet."

I realise that I just meant purchased something like 'The Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B' and going down that route instead but no one seems to think that's as good.

Thanks again,
Sam.

Oh sorry that was the other thing.. I see fractal do there own volume/expression pedal but that might be quite hard for me to get hold of. Can anyone recommend one that easy to set up and use for it? Or do they all just work fine with the Axe Fx?

I'l jump in here Sam. I think you'll do fine with an AXE XL. For an expression pedal, any expression pedal will work (personally I recommend the EV-1). To be clear, a volume pedal will not work. Make sure you are getting an expression pedal. As for the results of recording, I think you'll find that you get better results from your Fractal rig than you do from trying to mic an amp. I recorded an entire album with an Ultra [Supernal Endgame Touch the Sky VolII released on 10-T records] Only the acoustic tracks and nylon string tracks were recorded without using the Axe. The acoustic tracks were recorded using a combination of the acoustic piezo and live mic. Those tracks were then blended for the best result. The acoustic piezo was run into my Pendulum Audio SPS-1, then direct to the board. Here is a sample track. it is a long song, but has electric guitars, acoustic guitars and nylon string guitars. The entire album was recorded in home studios (mine and my bandmate John Eargle).

Last edited:
I'l jump in here Sam. I think you'll do fine with an AXE XL. For an expression pedal, any expression pedal will work (personally I recommend the EV-1). To be clear, a volume pedal will not work. Make sure you are getting an expression pedal. As for the results of recording, I think you'll find that you get better results from your Fractal rig than you do from trying to mic an amp. I recorded an entire album with an Ultra [Supernal Endgame Touch the Sky VolII released on 10-T records] Only the acoustic tracks and nylon string tracks were recorded without using the Axe. The acoustic tracks were recorded using a combination of the acoustic piezo and live mic. Those tracks were then blended for the best result. The acoustic piezo was run into my Pendulum Audio SPS-1, then direct to the board. Here is a sample track. it is a long song, but has electric guitars, acoustic guitars and nylon string guitars. The entire album was recorded in home studios (mine and my bandmate John Eargle).

Thanks for the advice John, I would love to have a listen to the track but it says video unavailable?

I'll take a look at the expression pedal thank you!

Thanks,
Sam.

I'll jump in as well and offer up that I think you would be perfectly fine with the Axe FX that you currently have! Just a matter of learning how to get a good recording tone from it...and that is not hard at all. It's not like the AxeFX standard suddenly sounds like crap because the XL is available. I certainly would not sway you away from the latest AxeFX XL but I also do not feel right about just telling you to go buy something when I think you might be fine with what you already have.

Maybe put your money towards the other items you may need for a recording project?? For example: Do you have a GOOD vocal mic? What about other software that you might need within your DAW setup? For example a drums package like Superior Drummer or maybe some mastering software. Maybe you could beef up your sound card or even buy a decent bass guitar. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice John, I would love to have a listen to the track but it says video unavailable?

I'll take a look at the expression pedal thank you!

Thanks,
Sam.
The video is working ok for me, so I'm sorry that it is not working for you Sam. You can just search for Supernal Endgame Eden Song and find it on YouTube. I posted the track because it features a lot of various guitars and recording methods from the haunting vocal intro (sung by Laura Casales) all the way to the shred fest at the end. I did not post the song for self-promotion, but rather I posted it with the point being that the entire album was done in home studios. When you get the chance, I hope you listen to the entire song, as it explores a lot of musical territory (typical for Supernal Endgame) within the context of a song. Compared to some of the pro studios I have worked in, my home studio is quite modest. Still, I think you can achieve a high-quality recording with skilled use of a home studio.

Last edited:
I'll jump in as well and offer up that I think you would be perfectly fine with the Axe FX that you currently have! Just a matter of learning how to get a good recording tone from it...and that is not hard at all. It's not like the AxeFX standard suddenly sounds like crap because the XL is available. I certainly would not sway you away from the latest AxeFX XL but I also do not feel right about just telling you to go buy something when I think you might be fine with what you already have.

Maybe put your money towards the other items you may need for a recording project?? For example: Do you have a GOOD vocal mic? What about other software that you might need within your DAW setup? For example a drums package like Superior Drummer or maybe some mastering software. Maybe you could beef up your sound card or even buy a decent bass guitar. Just a thought.

I definitely get what you're saying.. I've sold almost all of my guitars except my best few, I will be selling the standard and I probably be selling 1 or 2 of my amps as well so there's plenty of money there for it.

I just can't get Axe edit to work and I find editing it using the device itself a pain and demotivating. The knob just flies around uncontrollably of it's own accord and I just find myself getting frustrating and coming away from it. Nothing ruins a moment of inspiration like frustration haha. That alone is worth the extra money to me and with all the other bonuses and the fact I want to be using it for years to come seems worth it to me? Don't get me wrong I've got some fantastic sounds of the standard that I'm more than happy with, hence why I'm not looking elsewhere.

I absolutely do need to start looking into drum/synth packages, mastering software, I'm sure there's plenty I need that I haven't thought of? I have Cubase 8 at the moment and I'm also debating upgraded that, plenty to think about for sure.... So any suggestions while I'm here would be great as I feel like all I'm doing is researching researching researching and I need to start pulling the trigger haha.

Thanks,
Sam.

The video is working ok for me, so I'm sorry that it is not working for you Sam. You can just search for Supernal Endgame Eden Song and find it on YouTube. I posted the track because it features a lot of various guitars and recording methods from the haunting vocal intro (sung by Laura Casales) all the way to the shred fest at the end. I did not post the song for self-promotion, but rather I posted it with the point being that the entire album was done in home studios. When you get the chance, I hope you listen to the entire song, as it explores a lot of musical territory (typical for Supernal Endgame) within the context of a song. Compared to some of the pro studios I have worked in, my home studio is quite modest. Still, I think you can achieve a high-quality recording with skilled use of a home studio.

Yeah wouldn't work at all in youtube, maybe because I'm in england? I found it on soundcloud though and had a listen. I knew you weren't doing it for self promotion but I enjoyed it and you were right about all the different sounds you achieved with a home studio. Gives me a good idea of what can be done, appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom