Home practice through PA - floor or stand mount?

Promit

Inspired
Just wondering what you all prefer. Normally I play through monitors but I want to start trying it out in a rehearsal type setting with live drums. PA will be an Alto 112, which I can tilt back on the floor or put on a stand. What will sound and feel better?

if it's just for you, i'd put it on the ground. if the drummer also needs to hear it, i'd put it on sticks.

^^^^ This but with respect to being up on sticks, facing you and the drummer for rehearsals. This way you and the drummer get to hear you better :mrgreen. In all seriousness though you can dial your sound in better running this way then come gig time spin the tops around and the FOH should be pretty close but you will need a floor wedge as will your drummer.

I keep mine on poles to minimize resonance through floors/walls to adjacent house. There are separate walls, but they are butted up against each other with an extra layer of drywall between.

If you want to dial sounds for going direct to FoH, it seems better to dial it on poles so the floor resonance doesn't throw off your perception of how much bass is there.

I prefer my CLR's on sticks as they sound better to me. But I use them as wedges in the rehearsal space since that is how I use them live.

Let's me learn how to work them for feedback etc.

I too prefer my CLR on a pole. Sometimes at gigs I will run it on the floor if there isn't room for a tripod...just remember to flip the switch (assuming you have a CLR)

446ee1775e1c8955bc23653953830ab8.jpg

I have my EV ZLX sitting on an amp stand in the corner of my bedroom. I've actually found that not only does this reduce the bass response, but it also has a nice effect of keeping the sound directed towards one area. I can really crank this thing up and it doesn't even make too much noise outside of my bedroom window which is just a few feet away, so no complaints from the neighbors when I'm up till two in the morning playing.

Just wondering what you all prefer. Normally I play through monitors but I want to start trying it out in a rehearsal type setting with live drums. PA will be an Alto 112, which I can tilt back on the floor or put on a stand. What will sound and feel better?

I couldn't find what I wanted, so I made a couple of custom platforms for my studio.
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

I use both at home. I have a small 8 channel mixer and run stereo in and out. on one side of the room I have 4 10" cabs with horns, 2 on each side on the floor. then on the other side of the room I have 2 5" monitor cabs on sticks that get a little delay from the board, this gives a great surround type sound.

Back
Top Bottom