Home Made Humbuster

sprint

Axe-Master
I have a couple of trs to trs cables that I'd like to convert to humbuster by shorting the sleeve/ring at one end. Not being very cable construction savvy I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which wire is which in the pic below. I think tip is red so I'd short the other two together but not sure - can anyone advise:
1694641640163.jpeg

Last edited:
Set it on ohms or continuity and put one lead on the wire and then use the other lead and put it on the tip, sleeve and ring and when you get a reading of 0 Ohms or a beep, if it’s on the continuity setting, you‘ll know where the wire is connected.

Set it on ohms or continuity and put one lead on the wire and then use the other lead and put it on the tip, sleeve and ring and when you get a reading of 0 Ohms or a beep, if it’s on the continuity setting, you‘ll know where the wire is connected.
Thanks - will try this to confirm.

Yep. Bottom two connectors are the ring and sleeve. Solder a jumper wire across those on one end. Just make sure you mark the modified end with tape or paint or something, as that connector will always go to the receiving device's input jack. The Humbuster output jack on the Axe FX needs the unmodified TRS plug end to function correctly. If you accidentally get the ends swapped around, it will still pass signal normally as though it was a TS cable, buy you won't get any noise cancellation.

For the shorted end I just replaced one TRS with a TS (now the cable is T to T and RS combined to S) - now easy to see which end is which to ensure trs plug goes to Axefx.

Wait, what? If you have a TRS with the ring and sleeve shorted on one end and TS on the other, you just have TS cable, not a humbuster cable. If you replaced one end of the TRS cable with a TS plug, there's no need to modify the other end. The ring and sleeve wires should be soldered together on the TS plug end. The TRS end should be stock.

The ring and sleeve wires should be soldered together on the TS plug end. The TRS end should be stock.
Yes - that's what I did - took a TRS to TRS cable, left one end stock, and replaced the plug on the other end with a TS (RS wires soldered together and connected to S on the TS, T wire connected to T on the TS).

Back
Top Bottom