Home-Made FRFR Cab

Hugomack

Experienced
IMG_0294.jpg
[/url] img hosting[/IMG]

These contain one horn-loaded 12 inch Eminence Kappalite speaker with 12 piezos in front in a melded array (facing each other which gives them a very wide dispersion).

Weighs 16kg. Made of mostly 1/4 inch ply.

Using a Matrix GT800 power amp, sounds pretty good with cab sims ON.

IMG_0298.jpg
[/url] image hosting 20mb[/IMG]

In the background you can see a couple of 1x12 TT Cabs (with EVMs), with an HF unit on top - used with them and with the 2x12 JBL E120 speaker cabs you can just see on the left, to plug the dip in the curve and extend the range. (Gets quite a good result.)

The second one of my speakers is on the top of the HF unit - so you can compare size.

Not wedges, as that would have been more complicated, but they sound better on sticks.

Here's a look inside:

IMG_0159.jpg
[/url] picture upload sites[/IMG]

IMG_0201.jpg
[/url] image hosting site no sign up[/IMG]

Last edited:
Man that's a monster, how much coverage does it provide?

It's not a big as I suppose it looks. It's much smaller than a thiele ported 1x12 - although bigger than an NL12.

120 degrees - there's no beaming. The woofer is a Kappalite 3012HO - Watts 400W, Music Program 800W, Resonance 52Hz, Usable Frequency Range 51Hz - 3.5kHz
Sensitivity*** 100.5dB. The tweeters are Goldwood piezos, model 1016, sliced up and glued back together into the array.

Very loud as a bass cab, but great as a pa, and for the Axe.

If we have another get-together event here in UK, I'll be interested to hear how it compares to some of the commercial equivalents. Weighs 35 lbs, so with a Matrix 800GT I've cut back quite a bit in the weight I have to carry.

I wasn't specifically looking to make an Axe FRFR system. But as this seems to me to reproduce the full-on Axe experience, I'm seriously thinking about abandoning backline altogether (for in-ear) even for the small venues where I'm currently using an NL12. Pub venues only really need one of these, so the other can become sidefill, or be cunningly placed as you do, a bit behind the other or inclined inwards to give the band enough to work from. The lateral spread (thanks to the melded array) makes this pretty effective.

Thanks SixString - but to be frank, it's expanding glue then Tuff Cab paint!! Which covers over a host of mis-fired staples and unsightly gaps. The trick is for it to be air-tight rather than beautiful (and 16th of an inch symmetrical - an eighth is ok with me), so that achieved, job done!

Back
Top Bottom