Holy @#!*

FrankenStrat

Experienced
Got my Axe III last weekend.

Integrated it into my rig and got everything working easily, but did not get a chance to really put it through its paces. I have it setup for FRFR and 4CM.

Got home today. Dowloaded some patches, created some 4CM patches and did some basic dialing in.

This thing is fantastic. 4CM added something to my amp sound that I can’t put my finger, but I like it.

FRFR is great too. Love being able to move between radically different sounds. Makes playing covers really cool.

All I can say is “wow”.

Um. Captain Fantastic?

Welcome to the fold. It just gets better once you start digging in.

My advice: LEARN the unit. There are excellent preset makers out there, but learn how to carve your own (even if it's tweaking factory or others.) . You'll love yourself when something doesn't go quite right on stage (which WILL happen.)

Good advice. Thanks.

I started reading the manual for the AF II back in February. Once the III came out read that manual too. The I/O flexibility alone made the III a no-brainer. Read the AF III manual so many times while planning for getting the AF III that I have been able to get a pretty quick start on the unit. It was cool to have this new thing that had familiarity to it. Still have a ton to learn though. Looking forward to becoming competent rather than dangerous.

Got a Friedman ASC-12 to start with. But as I play it, switching between my Marshall and the Friedman; I am think of returning the Friedman and trying a XiTone MBritt. Think I want a bit more FRFR. I want to explore the flexibility that modeling opens up. I see the opportunity it opens up. Any input/advice is appreciated.

Good advice. Thanks.

I started reading the manual for the AF II back in February. Once the III came out read that manual too. The I/O flexibility alone made the III a no-brainer. Read the AF III manual so many times while planning for getting the AF III that I have been able to get a pretty quick start on the unit. It was cool to have this new thing that had familiarity to it. Still have a ton to learn though. Looking forward to becoming competent rather than dangerous.

Got a Friedman ASC-12 to start with. But as I play it, switching between my Marshall and the Friedman; I am think of returning the Friedman and trying a XiTone MBritt. Think I want a bit more FRFR. I want to explore the flexibility that modeling opens up. I see the opportunity it opens up. Any input/advice is appreciated.

Welcome aboard Captain
Don't mean to rattle anybody feathers, but the ASC-12 I tried sounded "broken" to my ears (especially in the mid-range) when I compared it to several studio monitors and my Atomic CLR, so I think you'll get a lot more enjoyment from either a XiTone MBritt (haven't tried one myself) or a CLR

welcome captain
got my axe-3 2 months ago. OMG ..when people figure out what this can do, this company is going to explode. I have a qsc k2 series monitor works so well i cant believe it. to all of you that are using amps. switch over to FRFR. i could be wrong ..but whats the point of buying this unit and running it though a amp (effects? ok). just try it. the modeling is OUT OF THIS WORLD. def leopard just switched. awesome fractal. congrats

i read that the AxeFx was designed specifically with 4CM in mind, when i had a AFXII i ran 4CM into a roadster combo to use EQ and drive blocks in front of the preamp, and then switch to running a Mark IV or Triaxis preamp into the roadster power section. I've never experienced that clarity of signal with any other piece of gear anywhere else, i actually think it was quieter running 4CM than running straight into the front of the amp with 1 cable from a guitar, when you weren't playing it sounded like it was pulling an audio vacuum. no gates active. And the drive blocks in front of the preamp, they sound just like the pedals, they FELT just like the pedals, no loss of high end at all and all the little angry pixie audio shards still there on top of a rich full fundamental. And somehow the guitar retained all of it's subtle dynamics and interaction with the amp that it would if you were plugged straight in to the front, it felt and sounded like there was nothing plugged in between pickup and amp, while actually being plugged into the front of the AxeFx and pretzeld back through all the holes to the amp return. absolutely bonkers tone with a roadster in 4CM, with every mesa preamp section available to punch in and all the pedal or delay or reverb blocks to use in front or behind or both. Too big to carry in a truck though.

Is there a question in there? I've never read that it was 'designed' for 4CM. From the beginning, I believe that it was designed for FX only, and Cliff took a shot at creating amp models as an afterthought...which worked out wildly successfully.

I did like 'little angry pixie audio shards' tho.

Back
Top Bottom