Holy sh!t this Matchbox amp is RIDICULOUS

JTI

Power User
Man! Messing around with cleans this AM and stumbled across this model from a suggestion on TGP and my god! What a great sounding amp! Not in my usual wheelhouse at all but this thing sounds gorgeous. It's nice to leave the world of Rectos and Ubers and run to the light from time to time :D

Seriously; there was like one Vox tone I really dug on all of the devices I've owned. And no; it's not that bloated-a$$ Morgan profile everyone raves about :oops: :D
This thing was instantaneous for me. Seriously good stuff.

Last edited:
I've been liking the EF86 channel for mid gain stuff, it's really good. No need to touch the tone controls. Just adjust the gain. It feels more balanced than the Morgan or Vox to me.
you should experiment with the tone knob. On the real amp it's a 5 position click switch, so it does some interesting things.

Yeah man.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, Factory Cabs F2.0086-92 are from Austin Buddy's Fantastic 2x12s Cab Pack. The Matchbox2 is a green 1990s DC30 cab and is my go to IR source. From the pack itself, I use the Matchbox2 121+57 L&R mix, but it looks like you could blend Cab F2.0088 & 89 for a similar mix.

Last edited:
Each one I try become a favorite. This is a real problem because with so many good tones I feel the urge to try everything, the hours pass by and I end testing amps and not practicing!!!

Yeah ... so I built a turret board hand soldered dc-30 Clone ...and have a pedalboard with dual H9s dual wampler drives, dual optical comps . While I was waiting on the fm-3

the Ef-86 matchless Ares thing kills my analog rig. Like no $hi+ Kills it!!!

the dynamics are ridiculous

Last edited:
you should experiment with the tone knob. On the real amp it's a 5 position click switch, so it does some interesting things.

Good call...I tried this last night, dropping the tone to about 3 which pulled the bass back, then putting the high cut on around 3 to pulled the very highs back. Really nice sound.

Also, I did a quick comparison between the factory preset "Dee Cee 30" cabs using the Austin Buddy vs the York Matchless Blend, and I like the AB ones a bit more. They've got a little more lows and a little less mids where the York are more mid forward. I could probably do different mixes to get closer but the factory ones are great!

Reactions: JTI
This is great to hear. I'm still a wait list guy but use an Elevenrack currently with their DC30 model. It is really nice, so I am mostly looking forward to using that model when I finally get to make the FM3 switch.

Do you like this better than the Dumble models?

Back
Top Bottom