Holy Sh*t! Fredrik Thordendal AXE-FX II Rythm Sound

I had a tough time finding anything in there worth taking notice of…… guitar for beginners 101?
Don’t understand the hype either?

I had a tough time finding anything in there worth taking notice of…… guitar for beginners 101?
Don’t understand the hype either?

I would not judge Fredrik or Meshuggah based on that video.

Meshuggah in their early days did never appeal to the masses, which was a good thing. Sadly, they turned from anger into technique, and most youngsters recently seems to be influenced by them in one way or the other. That's how we got "djent".

I don't get it either man... and I used to be a huge metalhead back in the day. His technique is horrible, but I can't help but think that's part of the appeal. Fret hand ring finger knuckle is buckled, plays on the pads of his fingers instead of the tips, holds his pick with his thumb knuckle, pulls the first fret out of tune every time he frets it, uses the same finger for that ascending section... but he's stupid famous and I'm a nobody, so perhaps he knows something I don't.

lol, he's pulling that 1st fret note sharp on purpose....

I don't get it either man... and I used to be a huge metalhead back in the day. His technique is horrible, but I can't help but think that's part of the appeal. Fret hand ring finger knuckle is buckled, plays on the pads of his fingers instead of the tips, holds his pick with his thumb knuckle, pulls the first fret out of tune every time he frets it, uses the same finger for that ascending section... but he's stupid famous and I'm a nobody, so perhaps he knows something I don't.
ha... dude your band sounds like this>>>

and you make fun of Meshuggah:roll

I always told myself I would never do what my dad did when he told me bands like The Who and The Doors had no talent and I held out for a very long time. I made it through disco. I made it through cheesy hair metal. I even got past Rap which I cannot stand by saying where I may not agree or like said music I can understand where others might.

Not so with the death metal scream stuff. Sorry. I just don't get it at all. It's like they say lets go out and play the most unmusical stuff we can think of and see if anyone buys into it. It absolutely astonishes me that anyone could think that clip is musical. You could not pay me enough to sit through 10 minutes of that much less a concert.

I have become my father! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! :roll

I always told myself I would never do what my dad did when he told me bands like The Who and The Doors had no talent and I held out for a very long time. I made it through disco. I made it through cheesy hair metal. I even got past Rap which I cannot stand by saying where I may not agree or like said music I can understand where others might.

Not so with the death metal scream stuff. Sorry. I just don't get it at all. It's like they say lets go out and play the most unmusical stuff we can think of and see if anyone buys into it. It absolutely astonishes me that anyone could think that clip is musical. You could not pay me enough to sit through 10 minutes of that much less a concert.

I have become my father! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! :roll
OMG Cobbler ! Haven't you became your gran-father ? ^^
The clip mentioned is really musical compared to some other songs from Meshuggah ! :D

Elvis was the first to do his thing. Was his tecnique anything special?
The Beatles was the first to do their thing. Was the 3 chords in 90% of their songs very original?
Was Picasso a great painter? Not really, but he was the first to do what he did.

This have really absolutelly nothing to do with being tecnically awsome, or having x amount of skill.
Ist about doing something new and innovative, and doing it before anyone ells.

And before people call out that there is nothing innovative about Meshuggah, please remember what the elder generation said about Elvis, Beatles and many more that did something new.

Elvis was the first to do his thing. Was his tecnique anything special?
The Beatles was the first to do their thing. Was the 3 chords in 90% of their songs very original?
Was Picasso a great painter? Not really, but he was the first to do what he did.

This have really absolutelly nothing to do with being tecnically awsome, or having x amount of skill.
Ist about doing something new and innovative, and doing it before anyone ells.

And before people call out that there is nothing innovative about Meshuggah, please remember what the elder generation said about Elvis, Beatles and many more that did something new.

Touche :)

Meh.....

Sorry I tried over the past few years to get it but I just can't get it, but each to their own I suppose.

Some of the djent guitarists I watch on youtube have amazing right hand technique and timing but after 30 seconds I'm over it. It'd be nice to hear a melody or chord change or perhaps the sound of placing a finger of the fretting hand onto the instrument. It seems that the *more* right hand technique used, the *less* the left hand index finger is doing by simply barring an open tuned chord every now and again.

It just all seems rather "Emperor's new clothes" to me (but hey, it sells a few more 7/8 strings I suppose......)

"The Emperor's New Djent" might be a good band name though !

OMG Cobbler ! Haven't you became your gran-father ? ^^
The clip mentioned is really musical compared to some other songs from Meshuggah ! :D

No. It was my father saying those things. :) I'm old. And I am not at all trying to offend anyone as I understand some like it and that is what makes this world so awesome as there are all kinds for all persons. I just don't see it even slightly. I find nothing about that clip musical. And it has nothing to do with skill level on instruments or anything like that. I might POSSIBLY be able to find some musical merit to some of the playing on a very few of that genres songs but I cannot get past the vocals. Heck, I feel like I am being disingenuous by even calling them vocals.

I don't get Picasso either! :)

Being the first at merchandising something I feel any child could do doesn't imply innovation to me as much as it indicates there are those who will buy into anything. :roll

Whatever floats your boat though. It's all good!

^^^ Hahahaha yeah. Any toddler could play any old Meshuggah song. What a fantastic troll! Seriously, Bravo. I guess we should respond by saying that if you don't like the band, it's probably just because you're mentally too slow to follow along with it. Ah, the classic "Tool fan" defense. Raises my blood pressure every time I hear it. :)

Get off my lawn you crazy whippersnappers!

Seriously though, I wouldn't consider Meshuggah my favorite band by any means, but they do kick all kinds of ass. And, if you can seriously watch 5 human beings play "Bleed" that flawlessly and tightly live and still think there's no talent there, I really don't know what to tell you. Seriously, just try to learn the song and play along with it. Hell, try to learn any of their songs and play along with them. There might not be very many unique notes being played, but I bet 95% of the players here couldn't get their playing anywhere near that tight, much less even keep track of when to play what notes, especially with that much gain and with other people playing along to keep track of.

But besides that, personally I like their music. I can't explain it, but their tone is awesome and the music is about as driving and brutal (I hate that word, but it fits here) as it can be. I honestly don't care for the majority of their songs, but the ones that hit me right hit me very hard.

And it's doubly weird for me to have this opinion too because I normally hate djent music, but I think Meshuggah are in a different league than pretty much every other band in the genre.

Last edited:
I don't get Picasso either! :)

Being the first at merchandising something I feel any child could do doesn't imply innovation to me as much as it indicates there are those who will buy into anything. :roll

Whatever floats your boat though. It's all good!

I dont care if I get banned for this Cobbler, but just shut the hell up already. You clearly are a bitter old man than doesnt get the "kids music". Your at the point of being really condescending on a topic you very clearly know nothing about. It you are counting musical merit on technique and how many notes can get crammed into a measure than your a lost cause anyway. Please, feel free to continue to be closed minded on another thread. Go strum a cowboy chord.

Back
Top Bottom