Holy Diver in my Les Paul

Megadebt

Experienced
After some debate I decided to go with a Bareknuckle Holy Diver in the bridge of my Les Paul. I have been curious about this pickup.

I ordered this.

Holydiver Details
Bridge

Strings: 6

Conductor: Braided 2

Top Bobbin Colour: Cream

Bottom Bobbin Colour: Black

Cover: Nickel TV

Pole Screw: Nickel Screw

Pole Spacing: 53

Leg Length: Short (1/4")

9e8b859-100099f-da39a3e_823_550.jpg

Last edited:
The Les Paul has been gutted. I have a plan. It might not be a popular plan, but its how I want it for now. It's my guitar and I can do what I want with it - lol. Stay tuned.

DSCF8467.JPGDSCF8468.JPG

I also ordered one of Bare Knuckle's 550K pots and a prewired Switchcraft Output Jack. The guitar will be wired with one volume control and one bridge pickup for now. I'll show my work, unless it turns out hideously, lol. I'm new at this. I'll do the best I can.

I'm leaving the selector switch, three control pots, and the neck pickup out for now. It will be a guitar with lots of holes and a holy diver pickup. So be it, for now.

Last edited:
That's a great pickup but why short legs and 53mm when the standard Gibson paf fit is 50mm (49.8mm actually) and long legs???

The bridge in my Les Paul is F Spaced. I got the short legs in case I want to ever put the pickup in a different guitar. I'm hoping it works in the Les Paul. If not - back to the drawing board (I'll have to re-order one with long legs).

The vintage style Gibson pickups have narrow string spacing and the modern ones (490/498/496/500) have wide spacing (but not as wide as the real Fender spacing). There are also different Gibson bridge models with narrow and wide spacing.

Regarding the Holydiver. I have a few guitars with Holydiver pickups and have to put them pretty close to the strings. They sound not as good farther away (IMO of course). This will probably not work in a Les Paul if the legs are short. Depends a bit on the neck angle and how high the bridge has to be.

Last edited:
I put this LP project on hold. I'll get back to it when I can do it properly. I'll probably put a matched(calibrated) set of Nail Bombs in it with two tones and two volumes - and of course the pickup selector switch.

Last edited:
The bridge pickup was 53mm but the bridge is not F spaced, No Gibson bridge is. All classic Les Paul models have 49.8mm spacing in the neck and bridge position . Some Nashville tunamatics had no notches cut so they could end up wider but you don't need F spaced pickups in any Gibson.

The bridge pickup was 53mm but the bridge is not F spaced, No Gibson bridge is.
Yes, you're right. I actually thought that the spacing of the Nashville bridge of my Explorer is wider than on the vintage style bridges of my Historics. But I was wrong, they're not. It's only the pole piece spacing of the pickups which is wider.

I quite like BKP. I put a nailbomb bridge in my Epiphone LP Custom Pro. Since sold the guitar but I enjoyed the pickup quite a bit

Back
Top Bottom