Holy crap... XFormer Match

giantslayer

Experienced
One of my main tones is a regular Marshall Plexi, that I've hand-tweaked all kinds of advanced parameters for. I'm doing thorough post-cygnus overhaul and on my old settings I had XFormer Match down a little, like 0.945. As I experimented, I realized it kept liking it more as I turned it down, even after compensating for the volume. I want a raw sound, and this little guy is the key I've been missing. I'm used to thinking that turning a knob all the way up or down on an advanced parameter is not generally a good idea, but this is an exception: it sounds glorious at the minimum value of 0.5.

I guess that would be the real world equivalent of plugging a 4-ohm speaker into the 8-ohm jack, which, along with turning the thing almost all the way up, is a great way to break your toys in the real world :tearsofjoy: but has no downsides in Fractal-Land.:sunglasses:

May have a play with the XFormer, whatever that is.

This was a secret weapon in the AxeFX II ... I don’t feel like I need it anymore to get the grind. But it is a powerful tool! 👍

I have always sung the praises of XFormer Match since the early Axe-FX II days.

It helped to remove the blanket from the tone & make it more open/less congested.

Lowering XFormer Match, especially on amps with the master vol set high, is a very powerful parameter...

sorry for necro bump
does lowering transformer match mean increasing transformer size?
It’s not about the size of the transformer. It’s about how perfectly the transformer matches the impedance of the speaker to the impedance of the amp.

sorry for necro bump
does lowering transformer match mean increasing transformer size?
I think it's actually the opposite. The transformer match parameter simulates the windings/turns in the transformer in relation to the load. Lowering it, effectively lowers the windings in the virtual transformer, starving the tube of current it needs to reach full output power. Turning it up, does the opposite.

Check out the link posted above where Cliff explains it in detail.

I think it's actually the opposite. The transformer match parameter simulates the windings/turns in the transformer in relation to the load. Lowering it, effectively lowers the windings in the virtual transformer, starving the tube of current it needs to reach full output power. Turning it up, does the opposite.

Check out the link posted above where Cliff explains it in detail.
I think @roodboy is referring to changing the physical size of the transformer so it saturates at different signal levels.

Back
Top Bottom