HOLY CRAP! Played through Pod X3 last night at rehearsal...

Secret80'sMan

Experienced
I'd been tweaking my Ultra's tones coming up with new sounds to match some of the songs we do in the set so instead of disconnecting everything from my computer, sound card, etc. I just pulled out my old Pod X3 Live to use for rehearsal cause I was running short on time and the band had already arrived. Man, do I wish I hadn't.

Some background, It took me some time to get used to the Axe-Fx initially, I guess because I had been using the Pod XT first and then the X3 later when it came out. Now that I only use the Axe-Fx the X3 has been relegated to the backup rig in case of a catastrophic failure. To say that I was extremely disappointed in how all my old tones sounded is an understatement. Some of you will laugh at this but I found myself turning myself DOWN from one song to the next just so the band couldn't hear the crappy fizzy tone, lack of definition, brittle quality, I could go on and on. What guitar player does that. :eek:

Now that I'm aclamated to the Axe-Fx I realize how little dynamic range the distorted tones have in the Line 6 stuff and how high end is mostly just harshness. The in-between tones are also a strength of the Axe-Fx, horrible on the X3. Even the clean tone which I never was unhappy with was less than thrilling. I'm wondering if all those times I got compliments on my tone people were lying to me. The one tone I've yet to be able to nail better on the Axe-Fx is a Poison sound (I know Ugh from many of you) but in an 80's cover band you got to bust out some Talk Dirty To Me from time to time. JavaJunkie has been tweaking up a tone for me, if anyone else has something that nails CC's tone please PM it to me.

Anyway, the point to this email is I may have to get a Standard as my backup, cause if something goes wrong I don't know that I can play the rest of the gig with my back to the audience to hide the shame :(

A local kid who is a sound guy has been bugging me to sell the X3 to him on the cheap, may just cave in and start saving the duckets for a spare Axe-Fx. :)

Secret80'sMan said:
JavaJunkie has been tweaking up a tone for me, if anyone else has something that nails CC's tone please PM it to me.

:lol:

Attachments

• PEA8727_1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,544
javajunkie said:
That reminds me, I need to get back to that. Now that I know you only gave me half the tone :)

I'm sorry about that Sean, damn unit won't export the tone as a dual tone and I can't figure out why. If you want to just listen to the record and try to cop his tone that will probably be infinitely more accurate than trying to clone the X3 tone. Again, thanks for your help bro.

Hey Narzugon, I expected a post of the IR for that Peavey Backstage Plus! :lol:

the worst part of the X3Live, which I've been using for 2 years until got my Ultra, is the risk of corrupt
data.
a lot of my patches don't work correctly now after one random day using gearbox on my PC to manage my
60 presets for my U2 tribute band set.
Now, I have to hit some presets twice for them to work, and some have the dual tone silent for no reason,
with their volumes all set as they used to when they worked. My presets are trashed, and Line6 tech support said, yeh, that happens rarely...just blow them out and start over. I cannot afford the time to do that...

I sure hope the Ultra never has such data corrupt issues....

I bought an X3 Live for a back up when they first came out, tried for 2 days, then took it back and got my money back less 10% handling charge.
Did nothing for me at all.
Landing up buying a Vox Tonelab LE. Set up some basic patches, put it back in the box and it's lived in the band van for about a year now (Thank God!)

Wish I could afford to buy another ultra as a backup but that ain't gonna happen :cry:

Secret80'sMan said:

I have one of the "Backstage 30" but it just didn't have the "fizz" that CC's Backstage Plus had. :(

jroy said:
the worst part of the X3Live, which I've been using for 2 years until got my Ultra, is the risk of corrupt data. a lot of my patches don't work correctly now after one random day using gearbox on my PC to manage my 60 presets for my U2 tribute band set.
Now, I have to hit some presets twice for them to work, and some have the dual tone silent for no reason, with their volumes all set as they used to when they worked. My presets are trashed, and Line6 tech support said, yeh, that happens rarely...just blow them out and start over. I cannot afford the time to do that...

I sure hope the Ultra never has such data corrupt issues....

Yeah, I love how they are so quick to tell ya to just start over. I've also had to hit presets twice at times for them to work at times. Gearbox is a piece a junk. Graphics look nice though for whatever that's worth.

Secret80'sMan said:
Anyway, the point to this email is I may have to get a Standard as my backup, cause if something goes wrong I don't know that I can play the rest of the gig with my back to the audience to hide the shame .....may just cave in and start saving the duckets for a spare Axe-Fx. :)

Hey - you could buy mine...on sale now in the gear section! Shameless plug over.. :oops:

Shaloha said:
Secret80'sMan said:
Anyway, the point to this email is I may have to get a Standard as my backup, cause if something goes wrong I don't know that I can play the rest of the gig with my back to the audience to hide the shame .....may just cave in and start saving the duckets for a spare Axe-Fx. :)

Hey - you could buy mine...on sale now in the gear section! Shameless plug over.. :oops:

if I can get that thing unloaded fairly quickly I might hit you up. No shame in peddling quality wares my friend. :p

The choice is obvious!

Line 6
[attachment=1:3ibi7ez6]Cat 1.jpg[/attachment:3ibi7ez6]

Axe FX
[attachment=0:3ibi7ez6]Cat 2.jpg[/attachment:3ibi7ez6]

Narzugon said:
Secret80'sMan said:

I have one of the "Backstage 30" but it just didn't have the "fizz" that CC's Backstage Plus had. :(

That dude has unlimited resources, his vast collection of Backstage Plus amps is ridiculous! :lol:

Warrior said:
The choice is obvious!

Line 6
[attachment=1:19xsld9m]Cat 1.jpg[/attachment:19xsld9m]

Axe FX
[attachment=0:19xsld9m]Cat 2.jpg[/attachment:19xsld9m]

Awesome.
thumbs_up.gif

Secret80'sMan said:
Narzugon said:
[quote="Secret80'sMan":lyoqb57v]Hey Narzugon, I expected a post of the IR for that Peavey Backstage Plus! :lol:
That dude has unlimited resources, his vast collection of Backstage Plus amps is ridiculous! :lol:[/quote:lyoqb57v]

My first amp was a Backstage Plus. :p

I still have a Renown 400. In fact, I was going to drag it out sometime and see how the Axe sounded in front of it...

Secret80'sMan said:
I'm wondering if all those times I got compliments on my tone people were lying to me.

I wouldn't say that unless all those compliments came from discerning ears. I think it's more of people don't really care and the fact you played their faverite song really made their day.

I use to play through (and I'm admitting it) a Digitec 2120 and people would comment on my tone and I would just smile and say thanks but deep down I knew that it was thin, harsh and sucky and if it wasn't for all the effects to pretty it up I would have never been able to pull it off.

Warrior said:
The choice is obvious!

Line 6
[attachment=1:62iyy93c]Cat 1.jpg[/attachment:62iyy93c]

Axe FX
[attachment=0:62iyy93c]Cat 2.jpg[/attachment:62iyy93c]

Priceless - Catwoman is on the tube as I read your post, what are the chances :)

Sixstring said:
Secret80'sMan said:
I'm wondering if all those times I got compliments on my tone people were lying to me.

I wouldn't say that unless all those compliments came from discerning ears. I think it's more of people don't really care and the fact you played their faverite song really made their day.

I use to play through (and I'm admitting it) a Digitec 2120 and people would comment on my tone and I would just smile and say thanks but deep down I knew that it was thin, harsh and sucky and if it wasn't for all the effects to pretty it up I would have never been able to pull it off.

Really good points Sixstring, I guess if we don't hit too many bum notes when playing their favorite song it is all good in their yes (and ears!) :lol:

Sixstring said:

Yeah, the preamp on the 2120 did suck. The effects & algorythms were pretty cool though, and the idea of that unit was kinda the precursor to the Axe-FX in my opinion. They (DigiTech) just never quite "got" the idea. It was sort of a half-assed attempt. Still, I stuck with that unit for about 10 years, because I hated the early modellers. Now thats a whole other story... :lol:

I think that a good & not so expensive backup could be the Digitech GSP 1101, not to be compared to the Axe, but it's far better than the pod series. it have some good amp sims & effect (some are crap but there's enough to have good tones for a backup). For me, it's one of the best engine for quality/price.
The RP-1000 could be easier (no external footswitch) if it sounds as good as the GSP but I don't have that one so I can't be sure...

For those who can't afford a second Axe-FX, I think it could be a good way.

As someone that owned a Line 6 POD X3, Digitech GSP 1101, and a Boss GT-10 - I can say that the only one I would consider using other than the Axe-FX for real is the X3. I thought the Digitech amp/cabs were really bad - the effects were fun. The Boss GT-10 had weak cabs but was otherwise usable.

Back
Top Bottom