Holden Wasp: Early AC/DC

Go the Holden Wasp?

• Total voters
The Holden Wasp is an Australia/New Zealand amp made in the mid/late 60's to the early/mid 70's. The chassis was designed in NZ and the cabs were done in Sydney. They are ball tearing head. Malcolm and Angus Young used them in the early days of AC/DC and prior. They didn't do the full switch to Marshall till they went to the UK (Malcolm also used another AU/NZ amp called a Fhonic as well....watch the long way to the top video, similar sound to the VBL).

These amps are excessively loud and have a great all around rock tone. They're not a Marshall or HiWatt or any other. They have their own sound. Think really early AC/DC. Just raw and in your face.

I play bass in Australia's top AC/DC show and our Angus's Marshall blew a few weeks back, luckily at a gig around the corner from my house. I went home and pulled out the Wasp. He was absolutely blown away at how he immediately, with no EQ'ing (the EQ is damn near useless anyway), had the early AC/DC tone spot on. I'd personally love to have it in the AFX as the real deal is just too damn loud. It is one of the loudest 100w amps I have ever played or heard.

If you have the any of the AC/DC biographies, have a look through the pictures and you'll most likely see some picks of this amp in the backline.

The model I personally would love to see is the VBL (Vocals, Bass, Lead), which is the model Angus and Malclom used. I actually have a VBL, access to a schematic, and can get in contact with the man who originally built them in NZ. They're a piece of Rock'N'Roll history, thanks to AC/DC, that could be forever accessed by guitarists for decades to come. They only had a short company life, due to the extremely small customer base in Australia, but many are still in use today in AU/NZ. In fact, I used my VBL as my main guitar rig for many years, and it was over 30yrs old when I first got it.

So what do you guys in AFX land reckon?

And if you can't get a hold of the schematic from the maker, I'm sure Pete Reynolds at River Music in Windsor has probably worked on his fair share of these amps and could draw you one.

TimmyM
not wanting to hijack - but lets get a Reynolds ValveArt 501 and 502 model too!! :shock: :cool:

TimmyM said:
And if you can't get a hold of the schematic from the maker, I'm sure Pete Reynolds at River Music in Windsor has probably worked on his fair share of these amps and could draw you one.

TimmyM
not wanting to hijack - but lets get a Reynolds ValveArt 501 and 502 model too!!

One of my best mates has a Reynolds and knows Pete personally. Awesome sounding amp.

I voted yes for the Holden Wasp.

I'd love to see some ANZAC spirit in the Axe!

Just realising that a great way for an amp to be immortilised is by it getting a place in the pantheon of Axe amp models.

More useful than a pic in a book or a place behind glass in a museum.

This one is a prime candidate for that as the designer is still alive and well. If Cliff was up for it, I'll get in touch with him and see if he would help. I really don't think it would be a problem.

I always thought their signature tone came from Wizard amps. Maybe those came later.

axel said:
I always thought their signature tone came from Wizard amps. Maybe those came later.

The early stuff referred to in this thread was done on only Australian made amps (Phonic, Eminar & Wasp) with Australian made speakers (Etone & Plessey Rola).
Wizards came on the scene WAY after their global success, over 20 years after the band began.
The early stuff is NOT Marshalls with Celestions.

BTW, even Mal's Gretsch pickup isn't (or wasn't, at least) a standard Gretsch - it was re-wound around 1973-74 by an old bloke called "Melnick" in Bondi Junction.

Bob - I'm old & I was there.

Back
Top Bottom