Hold the line - Toto - Harmonizer Settings

vistalee

Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a proper Sound for my take on Hold the Line by Toto.
I just lack the knowledge of music theory on how to setup the harmonizer properly. (Last part of the Solo)
Could you guys help me out and perhaps teach me the theory of muisic on how to figure out the right settings.
I would be very thankful.
In return I could post my patch although you might not be too interested since you knowhow to do it :-D

Hi there.

Here's how I do it. Put a pitch block somewhere after the preamp, set to "Intel Harm" (PAGE 1), then on PAGE 2, set your key to "Gb" and the scale to "Aeolian minor" -- basically setting up for a natural minor harmony. Set "Voice 1" to -3 and Voice 1 level to 100%. Make sure Voice 2 level is zero. On the MIX page, I set the MIX to 34.4%, the level to 2.2 db, balance to 0.0, bypass mode to THRU and GLBL MIX to OFF. I then use Footswitch 12 on the MFC to engage the harmonizer during the last two measures of the solo. It may not be exactly right, but it does the trick live. I'm thinking of having an expression pedal mix it in instead of the footswitch, but that's an easy enough change to make.

Good luck!

Hi there.

Here's how I do it. Put a pitch block somewhere after the preamp, set to "Intel Harm" (PAGE 1), then on PAGE 2, set your key to "Gb" and the scale to "Aeolian minor" -- basically setting up for a natural minor harmony. Set "Voice 1" to -3 and Voice 1 level to 100%. Make sure Voice 2 level is zero. On the MIX page, I set the MIX to 34.4%, the level to 2.2 db, balance to 0.0, bypass mode to THRU and GLBL MIX to OFF. I then use Footswitch 12 on the MFC to engage the harmonizer during the last two measures of the solo. It may not be exactly right, but it does the trick live. I'm thinking of having an expression pedal mix it in instead of the footswitch, but that's an easy enough change to make.

Good luck!

Yes, I do roughly the same thing, but I do use an expression pedal to bring in the harmonizer for the end of the solo. Reason being, I leave my foot parked on the pedal, so I don't need to look down and push a seperate button, which would distract me from my actual playing.

Thank you very much for your help guys. I will try that out this week!
You are great!
No worries. What I also do to add a bit more depth is set the detune on Voice 1 to -1.6ct, and the delay to 8.0ms. Then I also set Voice 2 harmony to -3 and the detune at -1.2ct and the delay to 16ms. Then I pan both voices Left & right. All a matter of 'adjust to taste' I suppose.

There's another part made of 5ths & 6ths below the top part. Here's a preset with Pitch 2 configured for that, while Pitch 1 does the 3rds.

Custom scale (F# minor no 6th) gets most of the right notes with harmony at -5. Pitch as harmony modifier source changes that to -6 to get E instead of F# on beat 4, where the top note is C#. (A global scale & custom shift mode could get the right notes, but some bends wouldn't be completely smooth.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vay7kx6ud9x1u2w/holdthelineharmony.zip

xRxb2kL.png

Last edited:
There's another part made of 5ths & 6ths below the top part. Here's a preset with Pitch 2 configured for that, while Pitch 1 does the 3rds.

Custom scale (F# minor no 6th) gets most of the right notes with harmony at -5. Pitch as harmony modifier source changes that to -6 to get E instead of F# on beat 4, where the top note is C#. (A global scale & custom shift mode could get the right notes, but some bends wouldn't be completely smooth.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28651/axefx/harmony/holdthelineharmony.zip

holdtheline-harm.png

holy christ you just blew my mind with that post. I think I need to read that a couple of times over before I get the gist of it :-D

Yes, I do roughly the same thing, but I do use an expression pedal to bring in the harmonizer for the end of the solo. Reason being, I leave my foot parked on the pedal, so I don't need to look down and push a seperate button, which would distract me from my actual playing.

I like this as I have missed the button more than once covering it live ;-). I figured expression pedal would be a good solution to this!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28651/axefx/harmony/holdthelineharmony.zip

holdtheline-harm.png

Very clever!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/vay7kx6ud9x1u2w/holdthelineharmony.zip

xRxb2kL.png

I'm also using an AX 8 there's only one Pitch effect ,where as the AXE FX has 2, need to figure a work around ; any ideas?

When I'm back at mu mac I'll post the harmony settings I've been using or the patch up if you'd prefer

Back
Top Bottom