Hold function

Harm

Experienced
Hi all,

A while ago I tried to get the hold function working. Unfortunately I didn’t get it right. What I want is to be able to either press a button or use cc pedal to strike a chord or note and to let it ring indefinetly while I play something else over it. I didn’t manage to get it to work that it rings on at the same volume. Now I was browsing youtube for fun and saw guys do just what I wanted using a pedal. I know the axe can do it and it would be a great thing to have because I am in a small band. It would make playing fills a lot better. Can anyone share a patch or effect setting where you got it working?

Thanks in advance

Harm

Reverb Block set the hold function to a control switch. That's how I do it.
Right click on the hold function to set the modifier.
Sorry man. Can’t do it. Yeah I set the hold and everything works, but the sound I am trying to keep goes waay to the background. I want it to be like the looper. What are your settings?

I regularly use the Hold and Stack functions on the delays (mostly) and reverbs (occasionally) using a Control Switch as @Dickie Fredericks described above. Works perfectly as a looper substitute. In fact, it can do many things the Looper block cannot.

Can you share an example of what kind of sound you are looking for?

Sorry man. Can’t do it. Yeah I set the hold and everything works, but the sound I am trying to keep goes waay to the background. I want it to be like the looper. What are your settings?

Is your mix at 100% when you engage the hold? Do you have any modulation, which degrades the hold over time?

Is your mix at 100% when you engage the hold? Do you have any modulation, which degrades the hold over time?
Right, and putting it in parallel with a shunt gives more control. With 100% mix use reverb block Level to adjust wet/hold vs dry (shunt).

Hi all,

A while ago I tried to get the hold function working. Unfortunately I didn’t get it right. What I want is to be able to either press a button or use cc pedal to strike a chord or note and to let it ring indefinetly while I play something else over it. I didn’t manage to get it to work that it rings on at the same volume. Now I was browsing youtube for fun and saw guys do just what I wanted using a pedal. I know the axe can do it and it would be a great thing to have because I am in a small band. It would make playing fills a lot better. Can anyone share a patch or effect setting where you got it working?

Thanks in advance

Harm
How long ago is “a while ago”? What version of the firmware are you on? That’s important because we can do it now with delay blocks, and it was added in 16.02.

Well this is what I have now… been trying for a while now. After I send this I will try using the delay block.

Attachments

• 80E44C7A-99B5-415C-9525-F708EDC3C3DA.jpeg
    80E44C7A-99B5-415C-9525-F708EDC3C3DA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 25
I regularly use the Hold and Stack functions on the delays (mostly) and reverbs (occasionally) using a Control Switch as @Dickie Fredericks described above. Works perfectly as a looper substitute. In fact, it can do many things the Looper block cannot.

Can you share an example of what kind of sound you are looking for?
Well, you play a chord, turn on hold, and it keeps on going the same..no degrading, nothing. And then I want to play over is like a second guitarist would.

Any chance you know which? I looked but did not see it in the description
I know for sure the green day one for, Boulevard of broken dreams, because it keeps the tremolo effect going while you start the acoustic part

I'll save you some time.

I have some stuff that automatically 'records' you (via a bypassed Delay block) while playing a specific part on a specific scene, at a specific tempo, then constantly repeats that part while you play a different specific part on another specific scene.

And also some stuff for transitioning from a distorted guitar tone to a clean tone that 'records' you (via a bypassed Delay block) playing for a specific time, on a specific scene, then uses that material in the 'Que' of that Delay block to hold the last chord of the scene and create a seamless spillover decay while playing a different scene during it's decay. Sounds like an overdub, but done with one guitar in a live situation.

But nothing that replicates the 'Freeze' pedal. I'm sure that the tools are there to do it.

There is a 'Hold' and a 'Stack' function in the Reverb block, but It may require a couple of blocks and some controllers to make it really smooth. So this function would have to be part of a preset. And as such, not easily copied and pasted to other presets. The end user would have to use the amp/cab and effects in the preset, or switch out their own preferred blocks, assuming they are comfortable with that.

Last edited:
I just went in and loaded a cloud type reverb. I played a chord and hit the control switch and it holds. Did you post your preset?
If you want the verb or delay to hold while you noodle on another tone there are other ways. Usually the looper.

Last edited:
I'll save you some time.

I have some stuff that automatically 'records' you (via a bypassed Delay block) while playing a specific part on a specific scene, at a specific tempo, then constantly repeats that part while you play a different specific part on another specific scene.

And also some stuff for transitioning from a distorted guitar tone to a clean tone that 'records' you (via a bypassed Delay block) playing for a specific time, on a specific scene, then uses that material in the 'Que' of that Delay block to hold the last chord of the scene and create a seamless spillover decay while playing a different scene during it's decay. Sounds like an overdub, but done with one guitar in a live situation.

But nothing that replicates the 'Freeze' pedal. I'm sure that the tools are there to do it.

There is a 'Hold' and a 'Stack' function in the Reverb block, but It may require a couple of blocks and some controllers to make it really smooth. So this function would have to be part of a preset. And as such, not easily copied and pasted to other presets. The end user would have to use the amp/cab and effects in the preset, or switch out their own preferred blocks, assuming they are comfortable with that.

Thank you moke!

Back
Top Bottom