Hold function via external switch... I'm missing some step.

mwd

Power User
I have a Boss FS 6 dual foot switch. It has A out B out via TS connector or you can run A/B via one cable as TRS. I hooked this to my FC-12 on Switch 1/2 via TRS and opened a preset that had a hold/stack function. I set the block to FC1 Ext. Switch 1. It just doesn't seem to do anything. My boss is set to momentary. Is there something else I need to do. Trying to simulate the hold function of Strymon while realizing it's probably not exactly the same.

Read... the... manual... but it’ll be something to do with reversing polarity setting or the cable configuration or having a hold function also assigned to that switch. Quite a lot to check and debug, but its all in the manuals.

Thanks for the input. What brought me to ask is after I read the manual which basically stated outside of choosing the parameter you wanted to control and selecting the switch port to control it... it should be rock'n'roll. Also searched the forum and youtube for any specific setup steps I might be missing.

Yeah try the other switch. Depending on how the two switches are physically setup in the pedal, the tip connector of the TRS cable (which corresponds to FC1 Ext. Switch 1 in the Axe) could be either the left or the right switch on the pedal.

I have been fighting this for a while. I mean to get 4 functions out of the Boss FS-6. But haven't messed with polarity. But in a thread started by Teddis someone mentioned it worked well with 2 separate Boss 5U pedals and TRS "Y" etc, etc.
So I will try that tonight.
I have many ofd those boss pedals, why? I have no idea.

Looking at the FS-6 a bit online, it looks like the Tip connector is switch B on the pedal and the ring connector is switch A. Fractal handles these the opposite. The Tip connector is switch 1 and the ring connector is switch 2, so FS-6 switch A will be FC1 Ext. Switch 2 and FS-6 switch B will be FC1 Ext. Switch 1. If using the other TRS Switch input on the FC's, switch 3 would be the tip and switch 4 would be the ring.

Just to clarify. The OP's issue is with setting up an external switch for the Reverb block's stack/hold parameter, not adding a second hold function to an external switch. For 4 functions from two switches (secondary hold function for each external switch), make sure your FS-6 is set to momentary mode for both switches and set them both up as stand-in switches for switches in a FC layout that have hold functions configured. A second Hold function is not supported on regular control switches in the Axe FX. They have to be stand-in switches for that.

Last edited:
I will try again tomorrow. Just looking for simple functions now. I have tried TS and TRS but did not know about A/B being reversed to the FC-12. I am set to momentary. Just want to sustain an ambient sound and let go of it by using the momentary action.

Well, I gave up on my Boss F-6 double pedal and went with the Y split to 2 Boss FS-5U's. I have one pedal going up and down on banks (tap and hold) and the other doing presets up and down (trap and hold)
Works perfectly. I did try polarity reversal etc, etc, with the Boss FS-6 but just could not get it to work.
No problem, the FS-5U's link together, just slide them together.

It works passively, battery is for the LED’s only.
I’m seeing mixed messages on this. Some gear it works passive, others the user says the battery is needed. I’ve heard that it is needed more often than not. Worth a try.

A search for FS6 on this forum yields a lot of results.

Never thought about the battery just being for the LED but it makes sense. I did successfully use this switch on my XL to inc/dec preset volume.

Back
Top Bottom