Hold function as a boost?

Intheband

Inspired
How would I be able to set up the hold function as a 10db boost? Thinking this would be a great add to my lead and rhythm switches. Just press and hold for instant set boost to cut through the mix.

i use a Hold function for my boost. works great, i press it just before the lead.

How would I be able to set up the hold function as a 10db boost? Thinking this would be a great add to my lead and rhythm switches. Just press and hold for instant set boost to cut through the mix.
Are you sure you are asking about a hold function, or a momentary function?

The first case will trigger after a predetermined time and stay engaged, whereas the latter case will trigger when you press it and disengage when you release.

For momentary, you would need to use a Control Switch (or possibly an external switch).

If you use a 10 dB lead boost, prepare for some pissed-off bandmates.
Mmm yeah, maybe. It’s going to have to be per preset I think, but from my live experience +/- 10db is just enough to be heard of be squashed. Especially with the dB settings on the FX, I can ramp up or down and hardly notice much difference. But yeah, it will depend on the preset. I use a dB meter to be sure.

Mmm yeah, maybe. It’s going to have to be per preset I think, but from my live experience +/- 10db is just enough to be heard of be squashed. Especially with the dB settings on the FX, I can ramp up or down and hardly notice much difference. But yeah, it will depend on the preset. I use a dB meter to be sure.
Sounds like you have the boost in front of of a pushed Amp block. If you put it after the Amp block, 10 dB will throw off then entire balance of the band,

Does it matter were I set the filter bock in the layout?

Depends what you're going for - I like to run my delay/reverb effects in parallel with the boost on a line by itself. That way I'm just boosting the amp sound without muddying things up with the time based effects. Of course, you might actually want all that stuff boosted too, depends on what sounds good to you. I usually use an expression pedal to control the gain and/or feedback of my delay effects separately though.

I also like to keep the filter block's gain tied to an external knob that's in my rack so I can tweak the amount of boost depending on the room/band/etc.

I don’t want to have momentary, why would I want to sit holding a switch until the end of a solo?

I do this sometimes, really cool for adding punch to certain notes.

I used to do it with an exp pedal but really just want to go from 2 values so a button works fine.

Wouldn’t want to hold it whole time but monetary switches are awesome IMO

Where are you putting the filter block in your chain? Before or after the amp? I put the filter block right after my amp block set to +3 db and it is PLENTY of volume boost in my experience. +10 db would be a HUGE jump in volume. Prepare for some serious dirty looks from the soundguy.

Interesting, maybe I’ll try it, but still would rather not stand on a switch for solos over a few seconds long. Most of mine would be at least a 4-8 bar break.

Interesting, maybe I’ll try it, but still would rather not stand on a switch for solos over a few seconds long. Most of mine would be at least a 4-8 bar break.
yup. that would be good for a Latching switch. but some people play for half a bar, like horn stabs, so they like the momentary so they don't have to click twice for under a second of playing, several times over and over.

So, I need to add a filter block to my lead preset, then create a scene that activates it, then save that scene to an external switch? (What external switches are you using, I don’t see any for sale on the Fractal site)?

So, I need to add a filter block to my lead preset, then create a scene that activates it, then save that scene to an external switch? (What external switches are you using, I don’t see any for sale on the Fractal site)?
you can just add the Filter block, and control the Filter block itself. you don't need to use a Scene.

Back
Top Bottom