Hold Button in Reverb - Mutes Too Much?

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I am creating a string pad sound, using the hold button in the basic reverb block. Well, I am violin player with an Axe-Fx iii, so I'm excited about the possibilities.

However - while the hold button sustains the sound [very good - just like my Big Sky]; it also mutes the sound, and by mute I mean like the thing drops 20dB or more. I can't really use it to create a string pad effect when the volume drops so much. I understand that string pads are generally in the background - but this volume drop is too much to be useful.

Listen to the recording below - and look at the pictures.

I'm open to suggestion on how to control the mute mentioned in the manual - so that this hold button has some value to me.

Thanks in Advance!!
Muted in Minnesota

Quiet-01.png

Quiet-02.png
Quiet-03.png

Wow your mix is 20% but the level is +15 dB?

Any reason you didn’t just leave the level at 0 and instead increase the mix to get more Reverb mixed in?

That could be part of the reason for this thread, but in general you have it set non-typical.

Yeah, I use this all the time without a volume drop. However, I use the mix control to get the ratio correct and the level at 0db.

Hi,
Thank you for the replies. I got it to work!!!!
I could be wrong but I don't think the Wet/Dry changes volume level, it simply controls how much of the input signal gets mixed with the effect signal - correct?

Then, what exactly then does the "level" do???? I was confused by your statement above. I think it's the level of the signal coming out of the block, correct? The confusing part to me is - is there an amplifier in the block? I don't think so. I think you can only technically use the "level" control to lower the volume or signal coming out of the block, if somehow the effect created a louder signal. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help!!

Then, what exactly then does the "level" do???? I was confused by your statement above. I think it's the level of the signal coming out of the block, correct? The confusing part to me is - is there an amplifier in the block? I don't think so. I think you can only technically use the "level" control to lower the volume or signal coming out of the block, if somehow the effect created a louder signal. Is that correct?
It controls the output level of the block.

Yes, it can increase the level of the signal, just as any other block in the Axe Fx with a Level control can do.

Is there an amplifier then in every block? How else could it increase the signal level??????
[Thanks]
Essentially, I guess there is... You can string a few blocks together and easily start clipping if you turn the Level up on all of them.

Hi,
Thank you for the replies. I got it to work!!!!
I could be wrong but I don't think the Wet/Dry changes volume level, it simply controls how much of the input signal gets mixed with the effect signal - correct?

Thanks again for your help!!
There is something called “mix law” and it can affect actual level with certain settings of the Mix control and the Bypass mode.

Use level in Series if turning on the effect brings the volume down or up. On chorus for example, I tend to add about 3 dB of level to keep it around the same off vs on. But + 15 is quite extreme. If you’re trying to hear more Reverb, increase the Mix first (when in series).

Back
Top Bottom