Hmm, not in Kansas anymore. Oh my!

SteveE9C6

First post here and happily demonstrating my ignorance! Ok folks, long time pedal steel picker/guitarist/utility musician retired from touring and now happily spending time in my studio. I play lead guitar, pedal steel,mandolin, etc for the worship team at "The Brook" just northwest of Houston, Texas. No stage amplification allowed and everything is monitored in ears. I bought a Line 6 500HD to use in this setting about six months ago. It's ok, but to my ears, it sounds a bit artificial and missing the organic sound I want. Hence, my newly arrived (yesterday) Axe FX II XL +.

After several failed attempts at loading drivers, I succeeded in getting Axe Edit up and communicating with the unit. Woo hoo! I even recorded a short track just for grins. I have several questions that I was hoping you kind folk could answer.

The unit is strictly 48k. It says that when using this in a recording setup that it needs to be the clocking unit. Normally, I clock my system with my Lynx Hilo @44.1. It worked fine last night using the Hilo as the master. I changed the Hilo to 48k though it seemed to work just fine when clocked @44.1. I have it connected with USB to my computer. This works for the axe edit but to get a sound signal I had to also hook up the SPDIF. The manual says that the USB is for both midi and sound but I can't get sound. What am I missing?

I wanted the fractal controller but it apparently is on serious back order. I went ahead and bought a Berhinger floor controller which is not yet unpacked. I didn't buy the EPROM for it, and least not yet. I noted that some folks are controlling this with a HD500. My controlling needs are very simple. I need volume on each patch. I will probably only need 4-5 different patches per show but will need to be able to turn off and on distortion and delay.

The manual and wiki are ok but I really wish that there was a video series going over the care and feeding of this. I downloaded the fractal bot which has a link to "watch this video". The link simply takes you to the download page... no video.

Anyway, I'm learning. best, steve stallings

Welcome Steve-
There are tons of videos about using and optimizing the AxeFX.

Just go to youtube-Fractal has a channel plus there are many, many tutorials about The AxeFX, just a zillion. Chris, on this forum has a great website that tells you everything to get you up and running. He has posted many of the videos on this forum also. Here is a link for an example: try this for starters: http://axefxtutorials.com/

Plenty of others here on the forum also. Search is your friend.. So is Youtube.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hey Steve,

First off, welcome to the party!
I also made the jump from an HD500, and the difference is night and day!
Since I had it laying around, I'm using an HD500 as a MIDI controller. It works fine once you get the hang of assigning MIDI commands... seems like you've been around the block long enough to have no trouble there. PM me and I can go through some stuff about it in detail if you like.

Welcome Steve. You're not too far north of me, so glad to have another Texan in the mix here. I agree with the others, lots of help here and on the net. Check out AxeFXTutorials.com too. Chris has been a great help to many here and has some of the better instructional videos you'll find. Cooper Carter has a bunch as well on his site. You'll love the Axe Fx, it goes as deep as you need and sounds great doing it.

Welcome Steve! you're gonna have a ball, and you will be amazed again and again about the developing speed and quality of the updates :)
Here's a lot of nice helpful users that have all kinds of knowledge.

have a good one

:)

Welcome to modeler heaven Steve.... The AXE-FX is undoubtably the very best option of it's kind out there!
You're in for a serious thrill-ride... buckle up!

Welcome, Steve! Do you also plan on running your pedal steel through the Axe? I'll bet you could come up with some killer sounds with the on-board effects.

Hello Steve!
I too play lead on our worship team and have recently got the Axe Fx II XL+.
I was able to get the MFC 101 from Tone Merchants, they had a couple in stock last week.
Glad you are here. Mine is working out great at church.

The Behringer FCB1010 will suit your needs just fine - absolutely no need for third-party chips etc.

However, you do need to suss out how to program it and how the MIDI instructions then correlate to the various functions on the AxeFX. It's not 'hard' per se, but you do need to get your head around it... once you do that, it's a great controller for little money
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for all of the replies folks. I am getting into it and figuring it out. As for the USB issue, this is interesting. Apparently, many of you are using the unit as the computer sound device utilizing the internal converters. My situation may differ as I have a quite nice studio set up. Since I am using a very high end mastering grade converter (Lynx Hilo) I don't need or want to do this. As a matter of fact, the Lynx uses SRC to match sampling rates if they differ. I finally figured this out when I realized my DAW began dropping out and it was traced to the computer using the AXE for primary conversion. I am quite happy with some preliminary recordings using essentially stock presets utilizing SPDIF signals. I did locate a wealth of videos following your suggestions and am watching them. However, I think I am mostly learning by doing. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I do plan on using this for pedal steel as well.

Greetin's from Fort Worth Steve. Always glad to see another Texan stepping into the future of guitar tone. Looks like you got plenty of good answers from other forum users. So, I'll just say welcome, and leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom