Hmm, not certain about this....

SteveE9C6

I bought the AXE FX II XL +, MFC 101 Mk 3, and EV 1 new four years ago. I was thinking about getting the new Axe FX lll and was actually on the order page when I realized that there was a new midi controller being sold with it. So correct me if I am wrong, but apparently there is zero FAS support for using the MFC101 with the newer Axe FX lll? This really makes me step back and wonder about any new purchase. I really do like my ll but not supporting using this quite pricey midi controller that appears to be quite a bit more versatile than the new controller really strikes me wrong. Yes, I see the third party options for compatibility. That's not the point. I fail to see why this "state of the art" controller is not being supported by the developer.

Advances in technology happens so quickly now. New operating systems and hardware ...etc!

I have my MFC101 on my kitchen table for the last few days staring at me LOL! And my FC12 (that i'm still paying for) sitting in the highest honor seat!!

Btw.....you can still use your MFC with the AxeIII via midi! There are forum posts discussions and "How To"s ... filled with great insights on doing this.

Last edited:
You can use still use the MFC with the III as a general MIDI controller, including System Exclusive messages.

The MFC’s “Axe-Fx Mode” is not supported because the III introduced a totally different protocol.

The topic has been discussed extensively in earlier threads. Bringing it up again will not change things.

A couple of notes: the new controllers are not "midi". They are integrated with the Axe Fx III - basically an extension of the unit.

As such, they are much more powerful.

Also, I wouldn't call the MFC "expensive". It's not "cheap" like an FCB-1010, but go look at a FAMC Liquid Foot or RJM Mastermind. Those are expensive ;)

Well, I did search thru to find prior discussion. Just dissapointed. From what I have read, I am not the only one. I'm still quite happy with my current setup. It works very well for multiple song sets where I am switching between pedal steel, guitar, or banjo. Guess I will just keep this "outdated technology" for now. thanks

BTW, , I just pulled up my order dated 1 June 2015.... The MFC was $862.28 incluidng $37 shipping. Not horribly expensive, but not exactly cheap... Not interested in arguing or making anyone upset... just taken aback.... steve

Last edited:
FWIW, I still use an ART-X15 as my stage controller. It does everything I need it to do with regard to changing presets, scenes and turning on and off effects, WAH expression, Gain expression, etc.. Your controller will do the same thing, probably better. But if you truly want all the power of the AXE FX III, pairing it with the new controllers does that. However, I would never let the controller purchase stand in the way of upgrading to the latest FX III.

Yes, it sucks you paid all that $$$ several years ago for the MFC and now it is out-of-date. But, it is far from useless with the AxeFX3. Some of the integrated things that worked with your AxeFX2 might not be integrated on the 3, though. Don't let this stop you from getting the 3, it's an awesomely powerful unit with fantastic sound capabilities. I used a 20-year-old fossil Roland FC200 with mine until my number came up to get the FC. A lot of folks have existing MIDI footswitch setups and use them. They're out there on the forum. :)

The new FC series switches are very tightly integrated with the 3, and provide a large number of awesome benefits that are not available over MIDI. The FC units' settings are all 100% assignable per switch and stored in the AxeFX3 unit. Each switch has a nice LCD backlit display to tell you what it does. Multi-color LED rings around the footswitch buttons to give you a visual indication of what classification of function the button does (i.e., bank, preset, scene effect, utility, switch layout, controller, etc.) for easy recognition from yards away. Stand-in switches that can make your external plug-in switches act the same as internals (minus the LED ring and label display), which is great for off-loading functions like bank scrolling/switching, layout switching, tuner acces, etc., to make room for more control switches on the FC to switch stuff that you want/need labeled & lighted. Each switch has two functions - one on tap, the other accessible after a configurable time-out when holding the switch down, so 12 = 24 (or if maxing out the add-on external switches, 16 = 32).

The FC has a basic firmware, but the functionality lies within the head unit, which means it should be a lot more future-resistant than the MFC. The FC controller pedal is nearly as awesome as the unit it controls, due to these features and its tight integration with the head unit.

Just look at it. Isn't this thing awesome?
20190802_150306.jpg

Last edited:
My advice: now that you “have your eye” on the AxeIII, it’s only a matter of time before you decide to buy one. With that being said, the resale value of your Axe II + MFC declines daily, while the purchase price of a new AxeIII + FC is unlikely to reduce much (if at all). Logically, if you’re going to make the change, the sooner you sell your AxeII + MFC to buy the AxeIII + FC, the better you come out financially.

Because it's no longer the state of the art. It's quite dated art.

I used my MFC-101 with my FX III for almost a year, worked great. I did really miss the tuner, and the current state of effects.

And when I sold it for around $400, it made the purchase of my FC-12 cost me around $300 - not bad to upgrade to the latest state of the art tech after 4 years.

I paid several thousand dollars for a Pentium 90 PC, I paid like $3000 for a 50” plasma TV..... those things were expensive and now are next to worthless... that’s life

Be happy FAS came out with the awesome FC controllers which are amazing and that they cost less than the MFC used too

Does more, less expensive, progress.

You can lament on old tech, the pace of upgrades etc these days, or you can enjoy the ride and all the super cool stuff we’ve got to play with.

Kinda bad analogy in music gear of all things. I paid a few hundred for a Fender Twin Reverb in 1985. I am not exactly sure what it's worth now but it's a heck of a lot more!

With all due respect, and not attacking the OP at all.

This was an announcement made nearly 18months ago, I realise you may have just found out about it - but still.

When you bought the hardware, there was no commitment that it would work with all future products - however it will, I used my III very happily for a year with a much less functional Midi controller before the FCs became available in Europe.

You can use the MFC very easily (much easier than previous tools) and you can also sell it for a reasonable amount.

As others have said the FC series are not midi controllers, they are dedicated controllers for the III.

Another way of looking at it - Fractal have made a decision (some years ago now I'm guessing), it's ok for you not to like that decision, but realistically - it's their decision to make.

If you like, or can at least live with the decision, sell your old kit and buy the new - you won't regret it, believe me.

But if it really upsets you - either stay with what you've got and therefore not give Fractal anymore money, or move to another platform.

As I said I don't mean to be rude at all, so apologies if you think I am - but this is the choice all of us make with technology platforms, we all want them to evolve and upgrade - yet forget progress has a price, think back to when Apple drove change so successfully - it was mind numbing when they dropped the floppy drive and caused lots of people (I was in pro-audio at the time it killed us) a lot of issues.

But in hindsight, was the right thing to do and really gave us the world we have today.

etc.etc.

I for one welcome the day my III and FC are not current models, because by then I will have had many years use and pleasure out of them and can then either keep enjoying them, or enjoy a new journey

Back
Top Bottom