HM Strat Fender 2020 MIJ used vs Charvel DK24 MIM new ??

Hello...!

...a friend of mine is selling a Fender HM STRAT 2020 for 800 euros.... ( and i am thinking in case of buying AN upgrade bridge with Gotoh ) but i was ready to get a DK24 HH MIM brand new..

Same price in the end for both... around 1000 euros...

What would you choose and why ?? I am really confused

Thanx in advance

Hello...!

...a friend of mine is selling a Fender HM STRAT 2020 for 800 euros.... ( and i am thinking in case of buying AN upgrade bridge with Gotoh ) but i was ready to get a DK24 HH MIM brand new..

Same price in the end for both... around 1000 euros...

What would you choose and why ?? I am really confused

Thanx in advance
Personally, I’d choose the DK24 HH. Compound fretboard radius, locking tuners, and just overall more refined. Arguably a better guitar.

Personally, I’d choose the DK24 HH. Compound fretboard radius, locking tuners, and just overall more refined. Arguably a better guitar.
25.5 scale 12-16 compound radius... vs 25.1 scale vs 17 radius... - i think second choice will feel more comfortable....but my question is about their quality overall and not the specs....

If you do crazy whammy bar stuff, then the HM with the Floyd is probably better suited. There are similar Charvels with Floyd too though.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

The pups in the Charvel are awesome to my ears. Bright, articulate and go from screaming metal to smooth jazz. You also have more tonal option with the Charvel as it has a coil splitting switch. I'm a little bit biased as I'm about to pull the trigger on a Charvel, LOL.

I'm also a big fan of the neck on the Charvel. I think the Fender has a thinner C shaped neck and the Charvel has more of a D shaped neck which I prefer. The baked maple neck on the Charvel is also smooth as silk. Feels great in my hands.

ok... charvel is more beautiful ... but i am afraid of ts compound radius. I had 2-3 guitars in the past with 12-16 radius and could not manage to have the ultra low action i sued to have in my mij ibane prestige...

only a usa sl1 jackson pre fender neckhtrough was also ultra low but i am not sure it has also compounf radius or a straight one ..

Can't comment on the HM Strat but the Charvel DK-24 neck is a thing of beauty!

Both aesthetically and feel-wise, they are great necks. Beautiful flame on the roasted Maple and the Pao Ferro fretboard matches very nicely. The neck profile is my favorite ever after years as a Wizard enthusiast.

I'm an Ibanez wizard guy and played a pink HM strat at a local music store not long ago......I really liked it. Neck was killer...I'd for sure put a gotoh 1996t in it tho....those specials leave alot to be desired. If it's a choice between Mexican or Japanese...I choose Japanese 9 times out of 10.

My Japanese Fender Jazz Bass Special seems to be better build quality than the MIM Pro-mod San Dimas that I used to have. Even though I sold it, it was a space issue, not because the guitar lacked at all. It was still really good. I gigged it many times and it was always reliable.
The Floyd on it wasn't as nice as an OFR but it worked fine and I didn't have any issues. The fine tuners steadiness was the only issue I noticed. It seemed like the bottoms of the screws weren't level so the tuning change per portion of turn wasn't consistent.
As far as I'm aware all Jackson production (non-custom order) Soloists are all compound radius. (This includes RR1, KE1, KV1, etc.) Compound radius fingerboards and neck through body construction was kind of Grover's way of separating the brand.

Me, too... But the DK-24 quality is excellent for the money. I wouldn't hesitate because of that in this case.
I hear ya...only thing that concerns me about Fender owned MIM stuff is quality consistency. Seems the Japanese Fender stuff is pretty much on par with MIA quality. Personally the only way I'd purchase MIM Fender stuff is if there's a great return policy.
Fender is using the Fujigen factory for the re-issued HM. Fujigen QC is second to none.

Back
Top Bottom