Hiwatt, SMH

My favorite amp
model(almost).

Crank the master (must IMHO) and it can do all from chimey cleans, edge of break up to nice driven tones...no drive block or else needed.

Ofcourse should be paired with the right IR/speaker (fane crescendo, evm 12L or similar). With celestions or else it looses the hiwatt mojo.

Has such an immediate attack, tight low end and upfront mids. Sits and cuts through the mix effortlessly.

Note: One of the amps i never got to play
before i played the model in axe fx and fell in love. Than at Namm 2019 tried the real thing and i could dial it in as if i own and play one for years. But with the real amp you can’t crank the master. It would cause an earthquake!

Last edited:
@FractalAudio - do you have any pics of your amp room that you can share? I can't imagine the awesomeness that you keep to test your models . . . i'll bet it looks like the warehouse from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Except vintage amps . . .

View attachment 80444

Funny, I just read somewhere else from someone who met Cliff at one point and said the walls of his house were lined with amps. I’m assuming this took place back when Fractal was still in Mass.

I'm racking my brains trying to figure out why the model has twice the gain of the amp. Then I realized the high gain input is the bottom jack because that makes perfect sense in upside-down world.
That's about as intuitive as Fender's vague numbered inputs, where the higher number is the lower sensitivity input.

Does this mean that the model's gain structure is going to change significantly, or are we going to end up with the original models and some new ones? The 'Jumped' version is my favorite.
If I had to guess (and I'm forcing myself to), I would say that this is when he was re-checking his model, and it just did not fit the model. So I am guessing, the model will not change, Cliff will just have to remember to use the bottom input for reference, next time he pulls the amp out of story.

Maybe a label would help!! Something like: "Model this input you wonderful SOB -->!

He didn't say the model was wrong..

If I had to guess (and I'm forcing myself to), I would say that this is when he was re-checking his model, and it just did not fit the model. So I am guessing, the model will not change, Cliff will just have to remember to use the bottom input for reference, next time he pulls the amp out of story.

Maybe a label would help!! Something like: "Model this input you wonderful SOB -->!
Fair enough. I was just curious if that was possibly the case when he originally modeled it. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom