Hiwatt + Badger 18 for bass

komorebi_dayo

Inspired
I've been inspired lately to build a dual amp preset so here's one for bass!

A few notes:

1) Scenes 1-4 are intended for FRFR speakers while 5-8 include headphone correction curves for my ATH-m50x. You can find your own correction curves here.

2) The phaser and drive blocks are always on because I like how they shape the baseline tone. FAS Vibe is set at 5% except for s4 where it's bumped up to 13.6% to give the octave down effect more "movement". FET Preamp uses the Germanium clip type which has a subtly different feel.

3) Cab is Factory 2 #275, an Ampeg 4x10 shot with the KSM313 ribbon. It feels open and round while it effectively tames the high end for driven tones. s2 mixes in "Totally Flat" for a cab + DI feel.

4) s3 (Boosted Badger) changes the power tube type to the default EL84 which sounds fantastic when boosted. I like 6CA7 better for clean to mild grit.

5) I'm not sure when the new ring mod types were added but "SSB Lower" sounds killer when used as an octave divider. Even at 5% mix it fills out the sound perfectly and to my ears is set up for sublime Pino Palladino vibes when you roll off your tone knob or use flatwounds.

Have fun 💜✨

Attachments

• Hiwatt + Badger bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
No issue here with Firefox for Windows 10. What platform are you on?
Sorry, my mistake. The download window appeared on the second monitor, which wasn't turned on at that time. Now I got it and will try it later in the evening.

Last edited:
This is a wonderful preset. I hadn't played bass for weeks, but this was so much fun, that I spent most of the evening with it. The ringmod in scene 4 is a real disvovery, it's the first time I can see a use for it. Thanks a lot, that preset will be a keeper!

This is a wonderful preset. I hadn't played bass for weeks, but this was so much fun, that I spent most of the evening with it. The ringmod in scene 4 is a real disvovery, it's the first time I can see a use for it. Thanks a lot, that preset will be a keeper!
RIght?! The AX8 had the Classic model which worked okay as an octave divider but there was always this slightly unpleasant warble. It does sound a little better on AFIII but that SSB Lower model is a revelation.

Back
Top Bottom