Hiss with Archon (Solved - Mark II units require restart to switch to -10 on Out 2 Post )

TravisG406

Power User
Hello! I am using an Archon 25 and wondering if there is a way to lessen the hiss I am experiencing... I have humbusters on the amp's input and the amp's effects return. No instrument connected here. Channel volume all the way down...It's the same on +4 or -10

Hey Travis,

Congrats on the FX8, first off... awesome piece of gear. Try adding a gate to the loop... That preset doesn't have one if I remember correctly. What are input 1 and output 1 set at? Do you get the same hiss with P8-BYPASS?

I get hiss (even with a gate in the loop and on the clean channel) on my Friedman Runt... sounds about the same as yours. I don't have any on my EVH 5153... some loops are a little more sensitive to the FX8 or so it is for me.

Phil

Hey Travis,

Congrats on the FX8, first off... awesome piece of gear. Try adding a gate to the loop... That preset doesn't have one if I remember correctly. What are input 1 and output 1 set at? Do you get the same hiss with P8-BYPASS?

I get hiss (even with a gate in the loop and on the clean channel) on my Friedman Runt... sounds about the same as yours. I don't have any on my EVH 5153... some loops are a little more sensitive to the FX8 or so it is for me.

Phil
I'll try a gate! The input and output are set to 18. What is P8-Bypass?
Thanks Phil!

Try lowering the output to 12db and then 6db, I think 6db is factory default. Are you clipping on the input that you set it to 18db? I find the defaults work great unless I am using a guitar with a really hot pickups. P8-BYPASS is one of the presets... I suppose it is the same as pressing and holding F2, but if you change to that preset and press and hold F2 then you can get a good comparison.

Did you buy it new or used? If you bought it used, it is always good to do a reset.

Hopefully someone more technical than me will jump in with some other thoughts.

archons had a faulty fx loop and prs will fix it for you mine had it. they've corrected it in the newer ones so see if thats your issue

Ok, I reset default i/o songs, still hiss...mine was made 3-15 and the loop is quiet with the pedal off or just a patch cable in it... Any other thoughts? Thanks :)

Ok, I reset default i/o songs, still hiss...mine was made 3-15 and the loop is quiet with the pedal off or just a patch cable in it... Any other thoughts? Thanks :)
Something in your preset is adding gain, probably in the Pre section. To find the culprit, bypass your Pre blocks one by one until the hiss goes away.

It's weird. I had a Strymon Timeline in the loop and it wasn't nearly this bad. I figured the FX8 would be much better

Hello! I am using an Archon 25 and wondering if there is a way to lessen the hiss I am experiencing... I have humbusters on the amp's input and the amp's effects return. No instrument connected here. Channel volume all the way down...It's the same on +4 or -10

I had a PRS 2 Channel "H" head and I never got anything to work in the loop without added noise. I don't recall any issues with the front end though.

New user here and had a ton of loud hiss from my amp's loop. Changing the input pads and the input gate did nothing. Adding a noise gate block to my presets worked like a charm. A lot of people here talk about noise gates sucking tone but to me the difference is negligible, and more than acceptable considering the improvement of the end result I achieved. I was a bit worried at first but with the gate all is well.

Thank you everyone for your help! I was changing from +4 to -10 with no audible difference. Rebooting after changing the setting has applied the change to -10 and now it is much more better ;)

Thank you everyone for your help! I was changing from +4 to -10 with no audible difference. Rebooting after changing the setting has applied the change to -10 and now it is much more better ;)

Wow, you learn something new everyday... I have tried to do that but never did a reboot... it seems like you can go from -10db to 4db and the change is immediate, but going the opposite way needs a reboot. It made a huge difference in hiss with my Runt. Nice catch Travis and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Another noob here, battling noise and hiss and hum..

my in is set to 12db, my out to 6db, nd my post level 4db, all of these are as it was when new, just got this wed.

are you saying changing your post level to -10 helped? that is the only one that will go in the minus....
what are your in and out at?

thank you!

Also, Ill take any other set up tips

running 4cm into evh 212 combo.
using pedal snake w trs ends connected to fx8 outs...(this did help but still alot of noise...)

Another noob here, battling noise and hiss and hum..

my in is set to 12db, my out to 6db, nd my post level 4db, all of these are as it was when new, just got this wed.

are you saying changing your post level to -10 helped? that is the only one that will go in the minus....
what are your in and out at?

thank you!

Also, Ill take any other set up tips

running 4cm into evh 212 combo.
using pedal snake w trs ends connected to fx8 outs...(this did help but still alot of noise...)
Yes! In depends on how hot your pickups are. Post -10 is what fixed my issue. It required a restart to take effect for me

Hiss rarely comes from the loop. It comes from anything in front of the amp. As soon as you start adding stuff to the amp's input you add noise. Getting your input pads correct will help reduce hiss.
Hey Cliff is the restart for a change in post level in the manual somewhere and I missed it?

The change to the pad does not require a reboot. I cannot explain how the reboot fixed the hiss.

The change to the pad does not require a reboot. I cannot explain how the reboot fixed the hiss.
Weird, I flipped to -10 and the hiss cut out as it showed it changing, then it showed -10 and the hiss came back immediately. I did this many times always leaving it on +4 as I left the menu assuming if the hiss was the same for me on +4 and -10 it'd be better to have the unit on +4. When I finally left it on -10 and restarted the fx8 it booted with no hiss... I think this was the same for Phil above with his runt 20. Could it be a bug in the new firmware? Thanks Joe!

Back
Top Bottom